[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is inside of a p100 filter? I thought it's just paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: SCO052683.jpg (6KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
SCO052683.jpg
6KB, 250x187px
What is inside of a p100 filter? I thought it's just paper basically and no charcoal as it doesn't filter out gas just particulates? I'm thinking of buying some 40mm scott p100 filters for use with my c420 papr but I'm worried about the possible expiration date. Don't particulate filters basically last forever until breathing resistance is too much because they're just paper?
>>
>>1204084
particulate filters last forever. And one of my masks has removable paper inserts. Every so often I tap the dust out of them and reuse.
charcoal/activated carbon/ have a lifetime after they are opened, but that depends on use.
>>
>>1204133
Thanks man, you could also use a vacuum cleaner too to get even more dust out.

If the filter has activated charcoal and it's expired is it still safe to use? I know the charcoal may not be as effective but could it break down into something harmful past the expiration date or probably not?
>>
The expiry date for filters is only the "Manufacturer won't guarantee it matches specifications after this date" notice. Most are vacuum packed from the factory, and nothing bad is going to happen to the activated charcoal over long periods of time.

Once you open the package, though, the charcoal will start absorbing things from the air and gradually drop off in filtering ability, but for most substances the simple "Can I smell paint thinner" lets you know its working (or not). Exceptions to this are isocyanate paints, where the exposure limit to them is way below the point at which you can smell them, so for these you use fresh filters and replace them regularly, after a set number of hours.
>>
>>1204432
I see so for most nuisance level stuff expired filters are fine. For stuff that's immediately hazardous you want new filters, keep track of how long they were exposed to air and seal up after use and replace after a set number of hours.
>>
>>1204233
Sure. The thing about that is activated carbon is there to gobble up harmful chemical vapors. The longer the carbon has been exposed to air the lower its ability to do that. I put mine in a ziplock baggie when not in use. Though the worst that gets it is bugspray for the yard, and that stuff is "supposedly" safe for not using a respirator.
For those dealing with chem-warfare levels of shit, you use a new filter every time. They come in a handy vac sealed tin can.
>>
>>1204432
>nothing bad is going to happen to the activated charcoal over long periods of time.
No. If its stored in an airtight container it has a nearly infinite shelf life. However if you have a carbon filter rolling around the bed of your truck, it will most certainly "go bad" and lose its ability to filter.

For regular paper filters, it doesn't matter a whole lot, other than paper can slowly deteriorate when exposed to moisture such as humid air. Considering how cheap they are, treat yourself to a new set of filters regularly. Don't consider them a lifetime consumable. Especially when you're regularly exposed to harmful shit like sewer gasses, mold, and harsh chemicals.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.