[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My wife and I are taking the plunge of building a new home. We've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

My wife and I are taking the plunge of building a new home. We've got about a $250,000 budget.

I've done a great deal of research into different sheathing options, but we're somewhat limited by climate and location (Southern Maine).

Given our climate and budget, what would be your choice of building materials? Regular stick built, ICF, SIPs, GigaBlock, etc?
>>
>>1203416
>Southern Maine
Not doing whole house ICF. The only possible reason I can imagine that you wouldn't build ICF is that you have a gas well on your property and it gives you lifetime free gas.
>>
>>1203423

Strongly considering ICF or some other variant. Biggest limitation is that there aren't a ton of contractors who are comfortable with it. Even the ones who advertise say they have limited experience.

Also, with building costs going up, the upfront cost of ICF bites into how much house we can get.
>>
>>1203423
>>1203424

In case anyone else is saying "what is ICF" like I was...

What are ICFs?

Insulating Concrete Forms are also known as “ICFs” and often referred to as “Insulated Concrete Forms.” ICFs are created by integrating a high-density plastic structural web embedded in two outer layers of Expanded Polystyrene ,”EPS”, or Extruded Polystyrene, “XPS” foam. This web provides a support structure for each side of the form and for reinforcing materials. The wall is created by sandwiching concrete between each of these layers. Designed to provide stronger, more comfortable, quiet and highly energy-efficient structures; they are easy to construct and their lifespan is hundreds of years longer compared to regular construction methods.
>>
>>1203426
>polystyrene
Isn't that a fire hazard?
>>
Why don't you build it from plywood and cardboard and get a megahouse suited for a king
>>
Hardie board. extra bonus just make the walls like 10" thick or so since it's cold af. The reason I say this is bc siding contractors are idiots and ICF is new fangled technology. Since you're not a millionaire this is the cheapest technology and best bang for your buck by far.
source: i just built a house last year near Seattle where shit is way more expensive.
>>
>>1203439
It's treated for fire resistance and it's completely covered. Drywall inside, brick, stone, stucco or siding outside.
>>
>>1203424
You will recover that in as little as ten years with heating and cooling savings. Plus you will be getting those dollars at mortgage rates.
>>
>>1203439
Helped Build an ICF house for a guy whose ex wife tried to burn it down with him and his new wife in it. She poured a gallon of gas on the wood deck and lit it up. He was awaken by the fire department pounding on the front door. The fire went up the outside and was working on the roof. No smoke or damage inside due to six inches of reinforced concrete.
>>
>>1203426
So basically, I can use wedge anchors to attach stuff in a house made of this stuff?
>>
well whats the size and reqs of your house? 4b2b2g? 2 floors? basement? do you already have the land?
>>
File: HPIM0053.jpg (1MB, 2304x1728px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM0053.jpg
1MB, 2304x1728px
>>1203470
Each block has 1-1/4" wide furring on each surface spaced 8" apart. It's basically the internal webbing molded out to the outside of the black. They are anchored in place by the concrete and take drywall screws nicely. See pic.
>>
>>1203466
>>1203469
Wow, it truly is the future
>>
>>1203476
Some manufactures have the furring all the way out to the surface of the foam, some it's back an 1/8" or so. They mold little columns of "XX"s in the block so you know where the furring is.
>>
theres always an icf shill in house threads. keep in mind the price is high so youll get less house
>>
File: build_6-26-2017.webm (2MB, 1281x720px) Image search: [Google]
build_6-26-2017.webm
2MB, 1281x720px
>>1203477
This ICF basement was stacked on Monday, braced and prepped on Tuesday and poured on Wednesday.
>>
>>1203483
Found the block layer.
>>
>>1203502
only blocks are the heads of icf shills.
>>
File: pour_6-28-2017.webm (2MB, 1281x720px) Image search: [Google]
pour_6-28-2017.webm
2MB, 1281x720px
>>1203498
>>
>>1203504
you lay it then fill it? does it need any butter while laying?
>>
>>1203507
No. Layed down on footer with stickers. Horizontal rebar in each course. Corners are zip tied together. Vertical rebar placed after last course is layed. Spray foam and gaps at the footer or joint larger than 3/8".
>>
>>1203512
After it's braced up, then you pour the whole thing all at once.
>>
>>1203424
If you contact a dealer through any of the manufacturers websites, they should be able to get you in touch with a contractor in your area. Or look for a home builder advertising green building.
>>
>>1203512
then zip ties removed after? funny to think a house could be made with zip ties and (stickers).
>>
>>1203503
Your derogatory comments aside, this is a DIY board and ICF is eminently diy doable. Probably the most DIY of any standard, approved construction method. Also the economies you speak of tend to diminish at each end of the spectrum. Small, basic houses and very large estate homes can be constructed with ICF at nearly a wash expense wise. It's your mid size tract houses and McMansions where price becomes an issue.
>>
>>1203416
what town
this pretty much determines what you can do
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.