[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to make an opening in a table top. How would I go about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: tablehole.jpg (56KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
tablehole.jpg
56KB, 600x300px
I want to make an opening in a table top. How would I go about sawing the yellow line? Thought of using a dremel, but I want it to look clean. Is there an easier way? It's not particularly big, maybe 4x3 inches.
>>
>>1203341
jigsaw
cut in at an angle until in line and complete one side
cut in the other side

if you have to make a starting location ( the top is solid ), use a drill to make a line of holes so the jigsaw has a place to enter.
>>
>>1203343
>jigsaw

good directions.

I'd add: since OP has no clue, get another board and practice. You might need to protect the surface with masking tape or something if scratches from the jigsaw baseplate are not wanted.

Also maybe get a set of different blades and use the finest one you can if the cut needs to be smooth.

If the cut has to be straight you can clamp a board to the side of the jigsaw, or some of them come with a fence thing that can be adjusted to ride on the edge of your table.

Main thing is practice on a similar board if the job has to be done fairly accurately.
>>
>>1203341
drill holes and use a coping saw
>>
Hammer, though naturally a square-headed one.

You can pick up a decent Stanley hammer for under 5 dollars at a yard sale - make sure the size and system match, and go for it.

Looks like 3 proper swings should do it.
>>
>>1203352
This will work if you don't want to shell out the money for a jig saw. A coping saw will usually be able to reach 5 or 6 inches into a material. Just turn the saw blade sideways and you're good to go.

Might want to clamp a piece of metal to the wood to act as a straight edge guide though.
>>
>>1203378
Still recommend the jigsaw though, much easier. Could get one for really cheap from somewhere like harbor freight, if it's not something you'd use very often it wouldn't matter that it's shitty.
>>
>>1203341
A real carpenter would cut it from the back side with a regular skill saw being careful not to over cut the front because you will over cut on the bottom.
>>
>>1203382
A real carpenter wouldn't do that because it's ghetto as hell, leaving huge overcuts on the underside of the table.
>>
Chisel and a sharp scribing knife. Saw the sides out first with a hand saw. No powertools needed. Jig and coping saws wont be straight even if you're relatively skilled.
>>
>>1203461
who cares?
>>
>>1203341
Drill hole in the middle of the line. saw outward. finish and flatten with sanding block.
>>
>>1203602
A good woodworker has never uttered those words about what he's building.
>>
>>1203685

>I think 20-something YouTube maker celebrities are "good carpenters"

Good carpenters do the best with what they've got. This faggot clearly has no idea what he's doing, and I doubt he has any tools. This would be his best shot at doing it straight and clean. Someone who has never heard of a coping saw, probably isn't going to be able to use one well.
>>
>>1204788
I watch a youtube guy, he is old has a nice fatherly voice, watching him carpenteer is so relaxing
>>
>>1204910
It's Paul Sellers, isn't it.
>>
>>1204913
I have a legit man-crush on that legend
>>
>>1203473

I would jigsaw short of the line to remove majority of material, then chisel up to the precise line.
>>
>>1203341
router

or drill holes and jigsaw (any saw if you drill enough holes or saw at an angle from the blue line cuts)
>>
File: image_25860.jpg (67KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_25860.jpg
67KB, 1200x1200px
>>
>>1205621
Looks like you accidentally posted the retard tool.
>>
>>1205626
just watch the commercials, it can do everything
>>
File: woodsaw.jpg (79KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
woodsaw.jpg
79KB, 1200x1200px
>>1203341
>>1205621
Oscillating multi tool with plunge cut wood blade
>>
>>1205636
If you want to do things the pikey way, just use a reciprocating saw.

No need to complicate things.
>>
>>1203341
Table saw.
>>
>>1203341
The square is no issue. For the question mark i'd use a plunge router with a 1/4" straight bit. Make sure to drill a hole to drop the router in easier and cleaner.
>>
>>1206161
Stop financing Big Power Tool and their wars - the question mark should and could be done with a chisel.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.