[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My toilet leaks from the tank every time it's flushed. Hell,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 243800.image8.jpg (22KB, 535x357px) Image search: [Google]
243800.image8.jpg
22KB, 535x357px
My toilet leaks from the tank every time it's flushed. Hell, I wouldn't even call it a leak, it just straight up flows out between the tank and bowl.

I've already tried replacing the gasket between the tank and bowl, but no luck. The only thing I can think of is putting some plumbers putty around it to try to seal it up, but I feel like that's likely to wear away and clog up the pipes while also making my toilet leak again. Also, I don't have a wrench big enough for that big plastic nut and could only tighten it by hand. Could that be the issue?

Any plumbers around here that could provide some tips and insight?
>>
File: images (5).jpg (18KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
18KB, 384x384px
>>1203259
Nothing to do with the seal, it'll be the flapper valve at the bottom of the flush mechanism. Shouldn't be more than a few bucks to replace
>>
File: downloadfile-7.jpg (12KB, 360x300px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile-7.jpg
12KB, 360x300px
It's probably the nut that needs tightened. Did you replace the gasket underneath the nut?

The attachment to tighten the nut is roughly ten dollars at Lowes. You stick it on a ratchet.

You could also try an oil filter wrench.

>>1203261
A worn flapper will just leak into the toilet. Unless you mean the seals around the valve.
>>
>>1203261
It's only a problem when it flushes and it's not leaking into the bowl.
>>1203264
Yeah, I replaced the gasket. I guess I gotta take another trip to Lowes for that wrench.

Thanks!
>>
>>1203265
Just to be safe, you can replace the whole flapper assembly. Make sure to get those gaskets for the two bolts as well.
>>
>>1203264
>>1203265
Yeah my bad, for some reason I completely failed to parse "it just straight up flows out between the tank and bowl" and I assumed it was leaking into the bowl, not out of the tank to the floor.

Godspeed OP.
>>
Tank to bowl bolts have rubber washers. Change them also
>>
>>1203460

Since we seem to have some knowledgeable plumbers here, I have a question.

When I replaced everything in my ordinary old fashioned toilet, the spongy gasket thing between the tank and the bowl seems a bit stiff or just really thick, so when I tightened the two bolts I felt like I was about to crack the tank. So now it works fine in every way, except if you push on the tank it rocks back and forth, which it does when the washing machine is spinning and rocking the whole trailer a bit, so I'm worried that over time that might lead so some sort of tank failure. There's about 1/8 inch or more gap between the boss on the tank that is closest to the bowl.

TL;DR are you supposed to tighten those two bolts until the tank seats solidly on the bowl?
>>
>>1203487
There will be some gap and wiggle. But not alot. You'd be surprised how much you can tighten it down and not just the tank. But in all honesty if it ain't leaking just leave it be.
>>
>>1203259
Had same problem when I replaced the mechanism in my toilet. The gasket hasn't sealed properly when you attached the tank to the bowl because you haven't tightened it down enough. Tighten those fuckers up.
>>
>>1203551
>There will be some gap and wiggle

Thanks. I kinda suspected that because I would have had to really pull on the wrench to lock it down.
>>
>>1203259
Throw it in the trash and join the one piece toilet master race
>>
>>1203487
the tank and bowl should have no gap and no wiggle, anything anyone else says is just wrong.
>>
>>1203559
This is correct.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.