[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this belongs on /o/, but how do I fix a slipping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1492832781198.jpg (162KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
1492832781198.jpg
162KB, 675x900px
Not sure if this belongs on /o/, but how do I fix a slipping clutch?
I drive a 1995 4wd manual rav4
>>
It's inside the bell housing of the gearbox. You will need to remove the gearbox and install a replacement clutch kit. No small task without the proper tools.
>>
>>1203255
You fix it by replacing it
>>
How do you know it's slipping?

Is the pedal softer or has the point of engagement changed?
>>
>>1203331
Have you ever been in a car with a slipping clutch? You notice it immediately because the revs go up and the car doesn't accelerate as fast, it's like driving a moped except you are not going forward
>>
Here's what you'll need.
1. A car lift. You won't normally be able to do this in a pit.
2. a gearbox jack. You'd want this to avoid catastrophic failure of your toes, face and of course the gearbox itself and all its remaining connections
3. Clutch kit. If it's a diesel, it might come equipped with a dual-mass flywheel that may or may not need changing as well. And replace gearbox oil while you're at it
4. Tools. Lots of wrenches in different configurations mainly. Pipe sockets. Ratchets.
5. eight to a hundred hours of swearing and tending wounds between the ratcheting, depending on the Haynes wrench level you're at.

I suspect, by the way this question was posed here, below zero wrenches
>>
>>1203396
>depending on the Haynes wrench level you're at.
This is some fine advice, here above - now, ignore it all, and get someone who maybe halfway knows the arse side of a gearbox to do it. Clutches is not a game to be played by amateurs like us, its the very definition of 'now why in fuck did I start this shit?'
>>
>>1203255
I changed the clutch kit in a 96' Honda Civic with no prior knowledge or experience of the task. I have past training as a machinist, and build a lot of my own stuff but beyond that had little to no knowledge of what I was doing.

The project took me about 2 weeks, I took a lot of pictures of disassembly, put bolts into labeled ziplock bags, and DID NOT need a lift. A Rav4 sits probably an okay distance from the ground, so chances are you won't either.

Protip: Don't crush your face/hands/fingers lowering the transmission. Think smart, you only get one of everything on your body. There are youtube videos for everything.
>>
>>1203396
>depending on the Haynes wrench level you're at.

> have never touched a car before
> new old car needs oil trap cleaned
> 4 wrench job apparently
> absolute piece of piss except 1 bolt because I was too scared to put my hand right down into the engine bay.

> fix tailgate lock mechanism
> 1 wrench
> destroy 3 pieces of trim
I have no faith in the wrench system at all.
>>
>>1203255
first drain the engine oil, transmission oil and fuel tank, wind down the drivers window then remove the battery.
fold the passenger side mirror in, and with the help of an assistant place the vehicle in the transmission service position.
>>
>>1203323
this, if your plates are slipping you probably just need new plates

take it to A Guy
>>
>>1203255
>4wd manual rav4

Transverse engine. Transaxle. Transfer case.

I wouldn't touch this unless I really knew what I was doing. And had the complete shop manual, lifts, tools, etc. It's a screwey setup with a lot of crap to remove (probably) to get to the clutch.

I've done clutches on air cooled VW Beetles (dead simple to drop the engine. 4 bolts), Dodge Tradesman Van (simple tranny drop, lots of room), FJ40 (tranny and transfer weigh alot, but lots of working room) and Porsche 928 (Easiest clutch ever to work on. Nothing major to drop, just a slip coupling in torque tube. 2 hour job).
>>
>>1203427
Oh that is long, OP would probably be better off paying a local transmission shop to bang it out in a day or two worst case.
>>
I never understood the Rav4, its like a 4wd for people who dont want a 4wd, and at the same time the fuel economy is shit enough that its a useless run about car. Plus having fucking zero towing capacity and no space in the boot.

OP why did you buy a Rav?
>>
>>1204374
I have heard the Short wheel base is good for 4wd, not a 4wd maniac tho so i could be wrong
>>
>>1204374
>1995 4wd manual rav4
Toyota’s RAV4 was one of the first so-called soft-roaders to cash in on this trend. It was conceived as a funky little multipurpose wagon that looked good round town, and was still quite capable if its city slicker owner decided to go away for a weekend in the bush or to the beach.
>>
/diy/ is not a Rav4 forum. Do not go here for questions far better supported elsewhere.

Example, there are more:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/

This and similar search strings will get you more info:

>1995 rav4 clutch replacement

Now go study and see if you want to tackle the job. It's well worth learning how to replace clutches. You should also learn how to inspect flywheels. If they need resurfacing you can get that done at most automotive machine shops, or buy a resurfaced flywheel.
>>
>>1203520
May as well install a clutch kit if you're going to replace the plates to avoid having to go back in and do it all over again.
>>
>>1203510
That's obviously the exhaust service position. Transmission service requires the rear wheels removed and the vehicle to be placed on the driver's side. Also, removing the battery is a bullshit extra step. The dealers only do that so they can sell you new terminals when the old ones shrink.
>>
>>1204374
Drives like a car but more capable on rougher ground than a car (yet still nowhere near a proper off road vehicle)

I've owned a 2004 and it was pretty good. Super reliable and comfortable, and not bad on moderate dirt tracks with decent tires fitted. Suited me for shooting and fishing in the UK
>>
>>1203255
Needs a new clutch. Take it to somebody that knows what they're doing. It won't be cheap though.
>>
Nails
It won't slip any more.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.