[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought a house, and it came with this old basketball hoop in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_5543.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5543.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I bought a house, and it came with this old basketball hoop in the middle of the back yard.
What is the best way to remove it?
Continue digging around the base and push it over, intact? Then drag to the street?
Or would it be better to use an angle grinder and cut it down like a metal tree?
Help me out /diy/ bros!
>>
>>1202411
Keep digging, get rid of the mass of concrete.
Cut off post at the concrete to make it easier to move.
>>
Tannerite
>>
>>1202411
Sawzaw if it's not a filled post, cut into 3, take to scrapyard, spray paint cement metallic
>Ib4 spray paint more than scrap value
It's to prove a point. I'm not sure what the point is yet.
>>
>>1202411
wrap a chain around your bumper and the pole and drive it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUrN4Stnwi4
>>
File: 1497293370092.jpg (33KB, 716x537px) Image search: [Google]
1497293370092.jpg
33KB, 716x537px
>>1202420
>>1202415
thanks for the suggestions! Whats the best way to tip it over before I cut it up? Or should I be cutting it while it is still vertical?
Sorry for being a tard about this
>>
just dig it out. are you replacing it with a new one?
>>
>>1202430
Not replacing it, just getting rid of it.
My main question at this point, is do I cut it while vertical or do I dig first, then push it over?
>>
>>1202431
>is do I cut it while vertical or do I dig first, then push it over

dig it out then use the post to jiggle it and lift it, cut it if you want when its out of the hole
>>
>>1202431
cut it once its out. safer and easier to cut. a shame really, if you replaced the board and maybe painted it you'd have a fine hoop
>>
>>1202439
>a shame really, if you replaced the board and maybe painted it you'd have a fine hoop
yeah a fine hoop in a dirt yard
>>
File: 1492360490632.jpg (14KB, 342x316px) Image search: [Google]
1492360490632.jpg
14KB, 342x316px
>>1202439
Ya, the thing is, it is in a grass yard. Sometime 25yr ago there was a blacktop, but it was turned into turf a long time ago.
I do love b-ball, but am unsure about wanting to pave 1/2 the yard at this point
>>
>>1202440
practicing scoring
netball
ollamaliztli
>>
>>1202411
>Continue digging around the base and push it over, intact?

that's what I would do; try to get as much concrete to come with as possible
>>
>>1202411
Cut off pole at concrete. Bury the rest. Concrete left won't hurt anything and will break down in time being buried.
>>
>>1202411
>all those cables
Do you live in India? The only things missing are monkeys.
>>
>>1202411
Dig it out and sell it on gumtree or ebay or whatever you have in your country.
>>
Leave the post because that gives you vital leverage for pulling it over. Attach whatever you pull with about four to six feet up then slowly pull until it tips over. Remember when a bare tube is horizontal you can't pull it if you cut it off unless you make a hole in it.

Once the chunk of concrete is at ground level and no longer in the hole, I'd cut the post at five feet to use as a handle if needed. Bust the concrete with a sledge hammer if it's too heavy to lift.

I've removed various fence and sign posts this way.
>>
>>1202443
>frankly less effort to pour a thin slab than dig the post out
>>
>>1202872
the three things i listed dont really need slab. shame you gotta green text something no one said. first person green text was a mistake
>>
>>1202411
Dig it out, lean it over.
Lever the concrete up using the pipe.
Use angle grinder to cut the pipe from the concrete.
>>
If you have access to an engine lifter, gantry or gin pole pull it out vertically.

You could diy this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_pole
>>
>>1202411
Cut it down as close to concrete as possible
Sledge hammer concrete until broken into little pieces
Remove the remaining metal pole in the hole leaving concrete chunks
Backfill with dirt
>>
Keep digging, but only on the side where you want it to fall.

Fill the hole with water. After the water soaks up, rock the pole left, right, front, back to break free the concrete ball, then concentrate on pushing the direction you want it to fall.

That pole is a hell of a lever. Get the concrete ball out of the ground before cutting up the pole.
>>
>>1202416
wut no
>>
>>1202411
Orbital Kinetic Bombardment
>>
I wish you would restore it
>>
>>1202411

I'd call the city or the electric company and have them disconnect all those power lines first, OP. If you pull them down you might be liable for a lot of money.
>>
File: 1on1.jpg (1MB, 2300x1438px) Image search: [Google]
1on1.jpg
1MB, 2300x1438px
>>1202411
OP, all you have to do is challenge Shaq to a 1 on 1. He'll come over and destroy your hoop ASAP. Pic related.
>>
>>1204385
9/10 shoop, could use some Lightroom.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (3MB, 2300x1438px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
3MB, 2300x1438px
>>1204388
I grained the background a bit to mesh a bit better with shaq
>>
File: courtofdreams.jpg (205KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
courtofdreams.jpg
205KB, 500x375px
>>1202411
>OP, If you build it -
>>
>>1202411
I don't know where you're from, but I know it's not Kentucky. That's a perfectly good hoop just like it is, OP. Dirt makes a fine court, once you get used to all its little imperfections. Why do you think it's called home court advantage? Not entirely shitposting either, me and Dad and all my uncles and cousins used to break in to the local high school every Christmas and Thanksgiving just to use a real court.
>>
>>1202441
I hate mowing lawn. I would pretty much use any excuse to get out of it. Pity I live in a rental with no one else to do the gardening. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
>>
>>1202538
>The only things missing are monkeys.
Probably why he is trying to get rid of the hoop.
>>
>>1202411
The best way? Torch it off at ground level and kick some dirt on it.

The right way, dif and dig and dig. Then cut up and haul off.
>>
>>1202411

ignore everyone in this thread OP

use a hacksaw or reciprocating saw to cut it into thirds or fourths starting at the top, and then use an X shaped tow strap and a buddy with a truck to tow out the concrete block. Rent a jackhammer and pulverize the block. Sweep it into a bag and throw away.
>>
>>1205146
Sledge hammer will do the block easily for less money. The truck will have better leverage if you pull the pipe instead of the concrete turd.

Work smart, not hard. A truck doesn't LIFT such things out of the ground but the upright pipe can rock them up to ground level. Been there, done that.
>>
>>1202411
Use an axe
Unless you can turn the whole pole into a pipe bomb, that would be pretty cool and definitely worth not having the back half of the house
>>
oof
>>
oof ooflo
>>
>>1202428
Use rope and bring it down?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.