[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's the downside of forging your own tools? >>>>BENEFITS>>>>>

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 14528430487512948.jpg (437KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
14528430487512948.jpg
437KB, 1600x1067px
what's the downside of forging your own tools?

>>>>BENEFITS>>>>>
>stronger
>prettier
>any shape you like
>literally printing money(in savings)
>>
Time investment
>>
Surplus raw stock
Unused crap all over
Cost and materials for a forge
Collosal amount of build and setup time
Tonnes of scrap
>>
>>1200624
>what's the downside of forging your own tools?

You don't want to stop making your own tools. You just keep making more and more. You start seeing tool parts in just about everything.

>oh, this railroad spike would make a great jeweler's anvil! I always needed one of those!
>>
>>1200627
Ever buy raw stock, fagot? Unless you're buying Chinese shit tool steel, you're looking at buying from a mill or foundry, 12 feet at a time. We're talking about forging tools, not welding together a trailer or some shit.
>>
File: 2126475815620457789890454.gif (499KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
2126475815620457789890454.gif
499KB, 480x228px
>>1200629
>>
>>1200635
>never heard of drops
>>
File: divorce.jpg (549KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
divorce.jpg
549KB, 849x565px
>>1200629
>You start seeing tool parts in just about everything.

Look honey, I brought home 2 tonnes of scrap steel so I can make that climbing castle and slippery dip for the kids
Yeah, that bits a little rusty
No, they can cure tetanus now
Billy don't hit your sister with the rebar

The best bit is this, tomorrow I'm making an arc welder!
>>
I have an anvil and hammer and stuff from when I got interested in knife making but since I didn't have a forge (and it was seriously hot for some reason that summer) I didn't forge anything and my anvil has been sitting around for about six years now.

Sometimes I get the motivation to go out there and hit some metal, but it dies down once I realize my forge would be shitty (plus I lack a place to put it) and then I just move on with my interests.

I have been getting the itch again lately though.
>>
File: playgrounds_in_1900_1.jpg (145KB, 1600x1037px) Image search: [Google]
playgrounds_in_1900_1.jpg
145KB, 1600x1037px
>>1200716

Bring back the old style playgrounds. Strong playground make strong citizens.
>>
>>1200635
Guessing you don't have an equivalent to Metal Supermarkets where you are? That's where I go for my steel. No 12' minimum, or order size. You go in there, pick your steel, tell them the length you want, and walk out with 36" lengths of H13 1/2" round stock (for hot working tools).
>>
>>1200624
>>literally printing money(in savings)
Literally pissing away money on hammers, tongs, grinders, polishers, forge, anvil, coal, gas, 3 phase electricity, first aid supplies....
>>
>>1201012
Forging and casting are fine for art but welding and machining shit all over them for making useful vs. decorative objects.

A forging or casting is a possible answer to some mechanical questions but let's not pretend they aren't 90% or more focused on art. Art needs no purpose beyond itself.

If you want equipment that pays for itself easily making useful things, go straight to welding and machining.
>>
>>1200743
If you live in CA, specifically So cal, I'd be happy to take your anvil off your hands.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.