[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a way to make core pattern molds for casting without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

Is there a way to make core pattern molds for casting without having to cut and open the piece in question, /diy/kes ?
>>
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hCBRfrPV8BY
Did you watch this guy already?
Where are you starting from? Like did you make your own model or do you have like an aluminum piece you're just trying to duplicate?

Why not lost wax/ceramic casting?
>>
>>1200593
He, dude, my casting hobby hasn't even come out of my head, i was just trying to research my shit before doing something stupid and i just couldn't find a solution to the problem.
To get you situated, i want to start a metal casting hobby in the future so i could make my own mechanical parts. I got inspired by this myfordboy dude: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCNC9gjgYrzLfyMQmp31DnjA
It seems really cool and i dream of having a shop with a "library" of patterns/molds/core patterns for hollow parts for the reasons mentioned above, you got it ?
>>
File: slurry2.jpg (50KB, 246x367px) Image search: [Google]
slurry2.jpg
50KB, 246x367px
>>1200613
Cool. watch tubalcain, he has an older series on casting, he hasn't done much lately.

he seems a bit more indepth than myfordboy.

This was one of the best sites I found
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com

Refractories are consumable, so don't feel bad if your first setup doesn't last that long. Waste oil burning seems a strong way to go.

My fantasy is to get into the aforementioned lost wax casting, and get a 3d printer printing my models with the wax.

To answer your question, no, not really If you're using a flask eg- cope and drag green sand shit. I don't really see how you could do it without opening up the flask after setting everything up, but you have to open it up anyway to take the original mold out anyway.

The bad part about lost wax casting is making the wax models, and you need a kiln to set and pre heat the ceramic before you can pour.
>>
>>1200613
>To get you situated, i want to start a metal casting hobby in the future so i could make my own mechanical parts.

Casting is a last resort asspain method and you still need to finish machine the result. Weldments are usually far superior, stronger, and far less hassle to complete. That's why I've never bothered with casting and put my efforts into getting welders, a milling machine and a lathe.

By all means do it for the fun, but the smart way to empower yourself is welding and machining. Welding first so you can fab shop equipment including gear for handling heavy things without a rigger, then go for machine tools after planning and study.

Every machine shop used to have a foundry and patternmaking long ago but that mostly went away because it is so time consuming and inefficient.

Plan your shop and capabilities to give you the most choices. The process should be a way to reach a goal and not the reverse.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.