[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just bought pic related for $60 and it's sat in the corner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: PhotoGrid_1498575290008.jpg (3MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1498575290008.jpg
3MB, 1920x1920px
I just bought pic related for $60 and it's sat in the corner scaring the shit out of me. I have no welding experience at all and I'm about to assemble this electrocution kit. I'm modifying a cafe racer motorcycle and only need a welder for about ten joints, so went with this cheap blue box.

One thing that is troubling me is the tiny diameter of the cable relative to the large brass housing; am I really supposed to double the wire back on itself? Also, I can't find anything about this model online. I'm afraid I may have gone a little too cheap. If anyone has seen this model before, or has experience in this price range, will this thing be okay for one project?
>>
dont make a cafe racer
>>
>>1200371
were the chinese kids on strike?
take it to welder shop if you dont know what to do
>>
>>1200371
>electrocution kit
that's only a risk if you jam the welding rod in your anus and put the ground clamp on your tongue

that cable gauge looks fine, and you're supposed to wrap the strands with the copper and the screw clamps down on it, but are the cables really like ~2 feet long???
>>
File: 1494682434965.jpg (6KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
1494682434965.jpg
6KB, 250x196px
>>1200378
Kek
>>
>>1200374
>dont make a cafe racer
Oh, but I've half finished now. It's not for me. There is a huge demand for them here. Buy an old 1995 Honda CB400 for $600. Reconditioned tank, shocks, seat, paint, gauges, few shiny things..., all for $400, and it sells for over $2k. This is my fourth bike and I'm getting faster. It supplements my income a little.. I'm just experimenting with some welding on this one.
>>1200375
>take it to welder shop if you dont know what to do
I live in Cambodia. 'Mechanics', which are the closest thing I'll find to a welder, and all self-taught guys at the side of the road with a few spare Honda parts and a sprocket set, have no idea what they're doing either. I'd literally have to stand behind him and guide his hands to exactly where I want the welds to be or he would get it wrong.
>>1200378
>that's only a risk if you jam the welding rod in your anus and put the ground clamp on your tongue
Well, that reduces the chance to 50%.
>that cable gauge looks fine, and you're supposed to wrap the strands with the copper and the screw clamps down on it,
The brass terminal on the left has been tightened with the threaded steel bolt actually disappearing inside the thread and it hasn't begun to grip the wire.
>but are the cables really like ~2 feet long???
I've just measured. One is 4ft and one is 6ft.
>>
File: IMG_20170627_224435_01.jpg (3MB, 2719x3820px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170627_224435_01.jpg
3MB, 2719x3820px
>>1200378
>>1200391
Forgot pic
>>
>>1200392
yeah it's fine if you double or triple fold the conductor if that will allow the set screw to be firmly in place

i guess they oversized those cheap quick connectors 'DKJ10-25' you can get off ebay
>>
Make sure you weld some practice joints on scrap then bend them or saw the joint in two to ensure you have good penetration.

Now go to the Weldingweb forums and spend some time reading. The Miller website has training videos as does Youtube.

DO NOT make the usual mongtarded mistake of learning on your workpiece. DO use a flap wheel on an angle grinder to clean the area around your joint before welding

Also visit Chop Cult where useful motorcycle advice abounds. Congrats on finding idiots who pay more for old tinybikes than they sold for new! Go get that money.

Cheap Harbor Freight autodark welding hoods work surprisingly well.
>>
>>1200392
You can also hammer a short piece of CLEAN copper tubing over the end of the cable or cut a shim out of it to fill the gap. So long as you get an electrically sound connection the welding machine gives zero fucks. Main thing is not to run your set screw in too far and fuck the threads up.
>>
File: tubing-insert-welding.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tubing-insert-welding.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
>>1200371
that machine and those rods will work for attaching plates, lugs, mounts and gussets to the frame.

it'll join sections of frame tube reliably if you insert a slug first. without a slug or a cut tube insert (pic) the arc will burn the ends away without joining them.

*with beginner skills* you can only get a safe reliable 6013 weld in the 1G or 1F welding positions, and only on metal thicker than 2mm.

when a 6013 weld goes wrong, it pulls slag into the weld. don't weld over trapped slag! you can't burn it in, or float it to the surface on the next pass, or chip it out with the hammer. you grind out all the crap and start over.
>>
You might be better off with a cheap ass Horror Fraught mig will flux core wire. It will take mad welding skills to weld thinwalled chromemolly with a stick welder....
>>
Boy, you're gonna struggle welding the shit you want to weld with a stick welder.

Stick is best for 3mm plus, and hard as shit if you want to weld anything but a straight, horizontal line if you're anything less than a good stick welder.

Mig is far more suited to a) your project, and b) your experience level.

That's not to say it can't be done, but you're gonna need a lot of scrap steel to practice on.

The machine itself will be fine for what you intend to do if you have the skill to do it. Its a cheap Chinese inverter by the look of it, and it should weld pretty smoothly.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.