[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>want to replace the two 30 foot oak trees in my yard with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 10

File: cut.jpg (103KB, 620x550px) Image search: [Google]
cut.jpg
103KB, 620x550px
>want to replace the two 30 foot oak trees in my yard with smaller 10-15 foot crape myrtles
>get estimates
>$2,000 per tree!!!!!!!!!
>need approval from the town as well

How hard is it to cut down and remove a tree? This is ridiculously expensive and I can get a cheap chainsaw for $150. It can't be that hard, right? Just get a ladder, cut off the top half of the trees, then cut the base, right?
>>
>>1199495
Pretty much, don't forget to drill a large hole in the stump and fill with kerosene, then torch the bastard. Unless you can get your hands on some dynamite.
>>
>>1199495
How thick are the trees at their base? Does the $2k cover all costs including stump removal, permits, and disposal of any wood you don't want to keep? It all adds up. When we had a dead tree removed we got itemized estimates from 4 different places. Cutting and limbing up the tree was the cheapest part. Then came chipping up the small branches and cleaning everything up. Finally, grinding away the old stump and root system. The last was easily the most expensive bit. BYW, how many quotes did you get? If the answer is "1" then slap yourself and get at least 2 more. 4 more if you can.
>>
>>1199500
Also, inb4 EPA and Army Corps of Engineers autist shows up to say your committing a war crime.
>>
>>1199495
>Just get a ladder, cut off the top half of the trees
what are you queer?

>>need approval from the town as well
you missed this step
>>
It's not that hard in terms of skill required. Watch a few youtube videos so that you can figure out how to fell properly and in the desired direction. The real "hard" part is the removal. Most likely you'll be cutting them into several pieces and hauling them "somewhere" by hand. Cutting them into smaller cuts is exhausting - mainly due to the vibrations from the saw. It causes fatigue quickly if you're not used to it. If you're seriously dedicated, you'll most likely have to plan at least 8 hours per tree. Try to do the trees on different days so that you don't leave your yard littered with shit. Also be careful not to tear up your lawn.
>>
>>1199501

The trees are about 3 feet in diameter. They're thing but tall. I'm in Florida and worried a hurricane will topple them so I want smaller trees that have no reach to hit my house. Yes, the $2k covers everything from removal to replacement.
>>
>>1199505
P.S.

Rent a stump grinder. Don't even bother trying to burn it.
>>
>>1199507

Can't I just dig it out?
>>
>>1199511
You sure can. You'll have to dig around it and cut the major roots by hand. Then if you get a come along and attach it from the stump to another tree you can attempt to rip it out of the ground. Careful though, as the stump will most likely be under a bunch of tension and could come flying out and kill you / your dog
>>
>>1199511
By hand? Are you nuts? 30 tall trees and gonna have roots down to fucking China. Dealing with the roots is the hardest part of removing a tree. Why do you think so many people just leave the stump?
>>
>>1199495
Anyone who cuts down oak trees that big should be shot. Anyone who replaces them with crape myrtles should be raped first. Just prune your god damned trees and they'll look better than anything else.
>>
>>1199506
So the current trees could hit your house? What about any other buildings nearby? Power lines? How hard is it gonna be to get a chipper back there or get the parts hauled out?
>>
>>1199506
>>1199495
That's a shit load of valuable lumber. Also, cutting trees down because you fear they will fall on you is top tier old people thinking.
>>
File: treetrim.jpg (28KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
treetrim.jpg
28KB, 225x300px
>>1199506

>want to replace the two 30 foot oak trees in my yard
>The trees are about 3 feet in diameter. They're thing but tall.

Nope. Doesn't sound right.
>>
>>1199528
>That's a shit load of valuable lumber

Sort of. Potentially valuable anyway. It has to be cut down and slabbed and maybe even dried before you will be able to find anyone willing to take it for anything more than free or a fraction of its actual worth as lumber.
>>
>>1199535
>lumbering a tree involves.....lumbering the tree

Well, shit, didn't know that! A tree that size is worth 5k-10k usd. Tree removal companies here make a fucking fortune from that shit. I only know because I worked for one. The boss was pretty fucking slimy. He'd charge the customer out the ass for the work. Charge them to remove and "dispose" of the trees then sell the trees for top dollar to the lumber mill.
>>
File: download (9).jpg (14KB, 220x258px) Image search: [Google]
download (9).jpg
14KB, 220x258px
>>1199511
I did that once as a kid, by the end of the summer we almost had the job done.
>>
>>1199511
It took me all day with hand tools to dig out an 8 inch stump of a cherry tree. I can't even imagine the nightmare of TWO 3-feet wide oak trees.
>>
>>1199539

Yes, that was my point. Nobody is willing to pay for a freshly cut tree sitting on someone's property. You can entice people to come and haul it away for free or, if you're lucky a small fee, but you're not going to have someone from the local mill show up and pay you full value.
>>
>>1199546
Actually, you can get a lumber company who chops trees down to get it and pay you for it as a slightly reduced pay in comparison to bringing it to them. Though, I doubt Florida has such a trade. OP could literally buy the equipment for a home lumbermill, cut it down, cut it up, sell the equipment, season the lumber, and sell it for a shit load of profit over the cost of the equipment.
>>
>>1199503
>california
>literally cannot remove an oak tree without getting a permit and paying for two to be planted somewhere else.
>cannot trimb limbs or do maintenance on a limb of 3" diameter or greater

Fucking hippies are criminal and don't even know how to care for trees in the first place.
>>
>>1199495

>pay a few people $10 an hour
>1 guy like $15
>they remove oak trees
>i sell oak trees for mad dosh
>i also charge mad dosh for me to have monkeys come in and cut them down
>you are paying me to get payed from your oak trees

For 4 grand you could buy a portable saw mill, cut down your oak trees mill them into boards and have a giant heaping stack of oak to play with.
>>
>>1199526
This you disrespectful ungrateful stupid Floridian faggot.
>>
>>1199552

>hurr why can't I cut down massive old trees fuckin libtards

literal nigger
>>
>>1199495
>replace the two 30 foot oak trees

eyebrowraise.jpg

>with smaller 10-15 foot crape myrtles

haram.jpg
>>
>>1199506

>3 feet in diameter
>"thin"

Thin as compared to what? A fucking California redwood?
>>
>>1199495
>How hard is it to cut down and remove a tree?
not at all hard but how handy are you with power tools? Chainsaws are great for accidental dismemberment.

> Just get a ladder, cut off the top half of the trees, then cut the base, right?
nope, do you really want to be 20-30' up a rickety ladder with a chainsaw? did I mention accidental dismemberment? Now ad in a fall that's not high enough to kill you right away.
>>
>>1199566
>implying a developer gives a fuck about such regulations and doesn't just pay to have four hundred oak trees planted after they build out.
>it only fucks residences and businesses trying to do small scale work, like trimming a limb that is going to fall on a house, or break a cable.
Literal libcuck can't read or understand the repercussions of the bullshit laws.they pass.

Stop bitching about how much your phone or cable sucks. The real reason is because your hippie neighbors covered all the utility boxes, and we can't trim the trees crushing our cables anymore. Now we have to run an extra strand just to hold trees off the real cable.
>>
My neighbor took down 2 dead trees in my yard down. 2 feet wide about 20-30 feet tall.

Just used a chainsaw, chained to another tree and cut the fuckers down.
Pulled the stumps out with a small tractor.

He made it look really easy, both trees were out in one weekend.
He isnt anything special except a nice old guy who likes to play around with his power tools.
>>
>>1199575
I want to know wtf happened to a tree that is 3 feet across but only 30 feet tall.
>>
Cutting down trees is really easy.

Cutting them down safely is a little harder.

Cutting down trees and not crushing your neighbors fence/house is a little harder.

Op, if the trees are somewhere they can't crush your neighbor's house, go for it. If you live in a city where you risk damaging utilities or someone else's property, don't do it. Your insurance isn't going to pay for the damage.
>>
>>1199505
Also watch failure videos. Doing something slightly wrong could cause large problems.

If it's oak, then make sure their aren't any state law issues aswell. In comifornia you need a state issued permit to cut an oak. Don't know what everything entails since I don't have an oak in my property.
>>
>>1199542
I truly believe that this guy is 100% not trolling. If you have two honest-to-God 36" oaks, and it doesn't even matter what variety, you are 1) an idiot to think they'll just "fall," and 2) an idiot to think you'll dig out the stumps in less than six months, and that's being very, very lenient to you.
>>
>>1199511
Dude, just buy some stump remover. Drill holes in the stump pour in salt peter and add water so it soaks in. Once it's dry pour in your kerosene and light it up it will burn no problem. Hell I burned out a stump once just by starting a really hot camp style fire on it. It took forever about two days but everything burned even the roots.
>>
if the tree is diseased the town has to remove it for free.I use this to get trees taken out for my elderly customers all the time.if you happen to spot something wrong with said trees you can make the township/city remove it free of charge
>>
>>1199610
You cry as much as a liberal
>>
>>1199743
This depends on the area and their local laws. Out here the city maintains any tree that is between the sidewalk and the curb. You know, that little strip of grass and trees to make the street pretty. Anytime it's outside of that area it is the homeowner's problem.
>>
>>1199743
Couldn't you just infect the tree with some disease and have it taken care of for free?
>>
>>1199785
take picture of tree(s) to help with all this guess work, if they are 30' tall and 3' across, you'll have to get someone in a harness to delimb all the smaller branches off, then starting from the top, cutting and dropping the branches til you are left with the center main tree column. Then have them go lumberjack with those spike boots and long ass saw, slowly cutting it down to the stump. Then stump grinder the trunk as much as you can and dump a metric ton of stump remover on the remaining stump roots. Use some of the branches to make a temporary fence around the hole and repeat. Make a table or two, sell the rest off.
>>
>>1199610
Your cable sucks because your precious businesses don't give a fuck if their infrastructure is barely passable for the masses, not because some strawman hippie grew a tree over a box somewhere.

Apply yourself.
>>
>>1199743
You sound like a commie red.
>>
>>1199526
I agree with this sentiment. Too many dumb fucks out there with no appreciation for the time it takes these things to grow
>>
>>1199500
Cept its hardwood.

Hardwood burns slooooooooow.
>>
>>1199970
So funnel the smoke off to a box and make a brisket.
>>
Fuck you those trees are fine and will outlive you.
>>
>>1199817
Couldn't agree more w/poster this is how you do it.
>>
>>1199505
>8 hours to cut down and block up a tree
Are you joking?
>>
File: Girdling.jpg (310KB, 1024x1049px) Image search: [Google]
Girdling.jpg
310KB, 1024x1049px
>>1199495
If you're not in a hurry you can ring-bark them and they'll die in few month or a year.
Tough you shold check the law, if you need an approval such thing might be illegal where you live.
>>
>>1199526
My sentiments exactly. Fuck OP.
>>
>30 ft tree

you want a professional to do that. tree is tall enough that you will have to climb it and cut the tree down from the top to bottom.
>>
>>1199495
Arborist here, just got done climbing and piecing down 3 60ft hemlocks.

$2k a piece for 30ft oaks is insane, unless they're overt your house or power lines, even then...

Get another estimate before you go cutting tops out of oaks from a ladder.
Fuck me, don't EVER cut from a ladder and certainly not tops.

If you really are set on doing it yourself get a basic harness and a lanyard at the very least. Climb it and cut it like a pro would do, I've seen so many weekend warriors get in over their heads and in the end have to call a pro. Don't be that guy.
>>
>>1199526
It's just a couple 30ft oaks, not an American elm or some other rare tree.

Tree huggers should be burned at the stake.

t. Arboristfag
>>
>>1199528
No mill wants trees from a residential property. One nail will destroy a sawmill blade, ain't worth the risk for a couple logs.

They'll make good firewood though.
>>
>>1200486
>rare

It's not about rarity. It's about having taste and not wanting to kill something that's potentially 100+ years old for the dumbest possible reasons (replacing with smaller shitty trees and "what if they fall down??")
>>
>>1199610
>cable industry refuses to upgrade infrastructure from 50 years ago
IT'S THE TREES FAULT
>>
>>1200505
>30ft oak
>100+ years
I surely hope you jest.

I've seen pin oaks over 70ft that were less than 40yrs old.

Most people have a very warped perception of how trees age.
>>
>>1200505
Also, crepe myrtles are more shrub like, they're not gonna fall and if the do they won't hurt anything. They're also less maintenance and they're very attractive ornamentals.

He may also live in an area with a low water table which can compromise some trees' root systems, or the oaks could be in a shitty location. You're assuming he doesn't have good cause to temove them.
>>
>>1199506

>The trees are about 3 feet in diameter. They're thing but tall.

Are you confusing diameter with circumference? 3 feet diameter is huge.
>>
How do I covertly kill a tree on my grandma's property? I do the yard work for her and she has sweetgum trees which are an absolute pain with the burrs. They're everywhere. She doesn't want to get rid of the tree (despite one having a limb break off and crashing through her roof) but if it were to be dead and a hazard then there would be no other choice.

Seriously, how can I secretly kill a shitty tree?
>>
>>1200620
Leave your grandma's gums alone and use a leafblower.
>>
>>1200630

No.
>>
>>1200620
Are sweet gum trees prone to losing limbs? I've had one drop a 6 inch think branch through the roof of a rental home I was in.
>>
>>1200538
>>1199929
FYI, I am a cable tech, and 90% of the trouble I find is some shit hiding up in a tree that no one has accessed in 20-30 years because they can't safely climb into the fucking tree, and the customer that owns the tree will go apeshit even if you do have the gumption to go after it.

Assholes also do absolutely bury our shit, vandalize our shit, and hide our shit because they think it's their property because it's in their yard.

Just because 5kv isn't falling on your head because you're an asshole doesn't mean you and your goddamn trees aren't causing a fucking ton of property damage. We also can't soak you for the little shit because it's too competitive, and if I charged you the full price for replacing your drop after your tree broke it, you would just say 'fuck you, I'm going to satellite' and I'd just have to smile and say yes sir, you're going to collections sir.

We have probably spent half a million dollars fixing tree damage this year, and that's ONLY the big fucking "OMG" shit that people notice, like the giant fucking tree fell, smashed a guy's car, ripped a pole down, and the next two poles going in both directions. This is NOT counting the little nagging shit that is making your internet shit every time it rains. That's just a tree growing in the middle of a cable damaging the sheath, and it's never getting fixed until your faggot neighbor trims his tree.

Trees around a human settlement don't need to grow wild. You're supposed to be a real human and maintain them, and make them do what you want.

https://youtu.be/zVPUFMwm73Y?t=3m35s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCDmmoPg1M
>>
>>1199495
>fell tree
>cut 30 feet of 3ft diameter 2inch thick table tops
>sand, laquer, and attach 3 legs
>sell a couple hundred tables for 50-100 bucks a pop

Apply yourself, anon.
>>
>>1200762

In my country, any branch that touches a telephone/power pole becomes property of the power company and they could limb the tree and any adjacent branches on that side of the tree straight to the trunk.

Normally they would be reasonable and trim the tree properly but if the homeowner starts complaining they end up with a tree that looks like lightning struck it and split it down the center
>>
>>1200620
Flamethrower.
>>
>>1200542

I'm going by the estimate of diameter in inches times 2-6 depending on the specific type of oak. What's OP more likely to estimate correctly, the diameter or height?

> arborist

You wouldn't just go on the internet and tell lies, would you? Then again, you could just be a dipshit in general.
>>
>>1200762

> working for one of the worst customer-service industries in existence
> company makes fuck load of money
> "muh poor company"

Fuck off
>>
>>1200353
>die in few month or a year.

And then rot in ten years. And fall over during a windstorm on whoever happens to be standing there.
>>
>>1199506
>The trees are about 3 feet in diameter... I'm in Florida and worried a hurricane will topple
if they have grown to 3 feet thick in diameter they have survived many many hurricanes.

>>1199688
This, but then the thickest tree i dropped was just 1.5 feet in diameter.. and I live in the middle of nowhere so no chance of it hitting anything. I have seen 'experienced' crews fuck up dropping a tree though. They used ropes to pull it and only cut a downward cut on the backside instead of pie on the falling side and downward cut on the back.
>>
File: 20170628_160645.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_160645.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1200894
3ft ain't shit, this pin oak in my yard is no more than 40 years old and is over 3ft in diameter. Very few trees in the states are 100+ years old. Estimating age of a tree by height and diameter alone is asinine, one must take a complete approach, bark, limb structure, diameter, height, wounds/scars/hollows together give a rough idea of age. Though I very much doubt a couple of 30ft oaks are over 100 years old or even close to that. There are relatively very few old growth trees left in the US, most were cut down before or around the turn of the century. People didn't plant/replace trees like they do now, it's very fucking unlikely that these oaks are old.

Yes I'm an arborist you goober, just got done cleaning out four 70ft white pines.

People almost universally over estimates the age of trees.

Out of curiosity how many oaks have you cut down? And of those how many were 100+ years old?
>>
>>1201007
>this pin oak in my yard is no more than 40 years old

Pulled directly from your ass, no doubt.

I'm gonna level with you, faggot. I trust the multitude of resources that say a tree's species and size can get you in the ballpark of estimating its age, over a dicklick on 4chan.
>>
>>1200897
>att, Verizon, frontier wire all dying
>cable is in the shifter too from cord cutting

Hurr you got money just soak millions of dollars a year because it's illegal to trim fucking trees.
>>1200882
It used to be that way but the hippies got out of hand, at least in California.
>>
>>1201125
I lived in a city in Cali. This used to be the way it was... until some dumb shit Adelphia turds went into a neighborhood and basically lopped off one side of every tree on the street. A winter storm rolled through a few months later and about 60% of the trees fell over in the high winds.The crew had not tried to balance the trees at all and they all fell to the side that still had branches on them. They caused so ridiculous amount of damages to homes, cars and the streets. It was in the millions. Then it comes out that they hadn't checked with the city or given anyone a heads up (the city, homeowners, the HOA, no one) before doing the cutting. They didn't even own the poles they were clearing. They were PG&E poles, who were also not told they would be coming through either. Whoooeeeethe the shit they caught for that. Attitudes changed soon after. It has nothing to do with the tree hugger rep. Fuck, you know how many trees PG&E has been cutting down so they can finally check and see if their gas lines should be condemned or not? Hundreds ever year since that San Bruno explosion.
>>
>>1201138

You guys have some shitty soil/trees

You can lop half of anything off in the tropics and the only thing that could take it down in a hurricane is a landslide.

>t. Touch the pole and it's ded guy
>>
>>1199511
Black powder is your friend.
>>
>>1201138
Pg&e does not trim trees below their lines, because they aren't theirs and they don't give a shit.
The telecom utilities have a blanket permit to trim anything in a three foot radius around the pole, and a six inch radius around their cable.

I agree my bro. Those were some shitty ass trees. I guess it's possible they were employing a meth head or so.ething that really did go apeshit trimming trees, but if they were trimming within guidelines, I can't imagine there being a problem with health trees.

It was probably a flood/drought year and the trees would have been toast anyway. We had like 5 italian stone pines die and fall the last two years because of the drought rolling into high rains... And no one takes care of them. I had to go out to one lady and it was just a widow maker that ripped off the treedor no reason. Like 12" around but it barely missed totalling her car.
>>
>>1201097
That's the based off of when my property was developed.

Man, you sure are one ignorant asshole.
>>
>>1199616
Key is:
>has the correct tools
>has the experience to go with his age
>>
File: FB_IMG_1498991746718.jpg (21KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1498991746718.jpg
21KB, 540x960px
You need estabilish first and foremost can it be felled or does it require sectional dismantle. I.e is it close to something and requires climbing.
>>
Next you need to learn to fell. You'll need a gob cut/sink cut. In the direction of fell. With a hinge 10% of the diameter of the stem. Pic related, one i did earlier
>>
>>1199495
Why would you cut down oak trees to replace with crepe myrtles? Oak trees add value to your property between $1000-10000 depending on age. Dont do it OP large oak trees are more aesthetic than pretty much most other southern trees... especially if you got spanish moss on them.
>>
Instead of cutting trees cause they might hit the house, get better house insurance. Then when the fucker falls you can pay for a better version of your shitty house.
>>
Just climb to the top and start cutting small chunks off. Work your way down then after it's limbs are gone, climb back up to the top and take out the trunk.

That's how I do it.
>>
>>1200543
crape myrtles are the absolute worst fucking piece of shit tree and the fallen buds fuse themselves to pretty much everything. I almost want OP to go through with it so that he has to scrape the little pink flakes off of his car and birdfeeder and anything else within like 30 feet, but cutting down the oak trees is such a shit idea on its own that I honestly think he deserves it.
>>
>>1199495
>It can't be that hard, right?
I have about 20 years of on and off experience with a chain saw. And every time I've tried felling a tree, I fuck it up. I leave the felling of trees to others and the limbing and cutting to length.
>>
>>1199511
As a rule of thumb, there's as much of a tree underground as above ground.
>>
>>1199610
whiny little broflake detected
>>
>>1199619
Florida oak = live oak. They grow relatively low for their trunk thickness and canopy width.

This type of oak is also said to produce shitty lumber, but I haven't had the chance to test it.
>>
>>1199495

OP is obviously a dumb nigger if he lives in an area where he "needs" to ask "permission" to the local jewlord to cut down trees in his own yard, so he's obviously irrelevant.

GIve the house keys back Jamal.
>>
>>1203273
Pretty sure live oak was the preferred wood for sailing ships from the 17th through the 19th century. Doesn't rot easily and tends to have the right shape for keels and ribs. The USS Constitution is built from it, so it must be at least okay.
>>
>>1200672
Sweetgum in my backyard, about 20' from the house. Branch came down and made a small hole in my roof during a windstorm. Only reason it's still there is the incredible location in regards to the position of the sun (great for shade, keeps electricity bill down).

I love and hate that tree, as I love and hate my house.
>>
>>1199566
Literal niggers don't even cut their grass, let alone trees.
>>
I'm from the Maine woods and have cut and many trees cut.
1) way too big a tree to cut on the first try.
2) to cut down a tree that big you will need a saw significantly more powerful than a cheap hone depot $150 40cc job. Your getting into pro saws with 20 inch bars. They aren't cheap.

You can't beat a guy at his own game. If you don't like there price, look around, but something will not go as planned if you try yourself.
>>
>>1199495
>cut off the top half
only do that if you can't drop the entire tree without hitting something

felling trees is easy as fuck but it can also be unpredictable which makes it very dangerous. there's many ways to do it but most saw manufactures give you the basics on their site and in their manuals
>>
>>1199505
>at least 8 hours per tree
what kind of fucking bitch takes 8 hours to cut and clean a tree? i can do large trees in 3 hours taking my time
>>
>>1199495
try to find a woodworker or lumber yard that will take it away for free
>>
>>1199539
This reeks like bullshit, Maybe for some very special types that are not commercially grown or not native to the area. In those cases the work and the risk are worth the lumber you get.
Oak it way to common for something like this.

Think more like hawthorn and yew and less maple and oak.
>>
>>1199539
A tree that size is worth 10K

3 feet by 30 feet happens to be about the same amount board foot would run you 10K if you bough first grade oak wood that has been kiln dried. Even if someone would mill and kiln dry it for free its a stretch to get that amount of cash.
>>
I'm a mail carrier and every day at least one of the local cable companies sends mail to houses that were torn down >10 years ago. They've often paid extra to be notified electronically if the letter can't be delivered and still haven't updated their lists in god knows how long.
>>
>>1203719
they do deforestation like Hati
>>
>>1205716

As a west Indian in one of the poorest countries in the Caribbean would say that the people of Haiti are there own breed.

Any Negro Nation that speaks French is going to be bad.
>>
>>1199500
They make stump remover powder, I think it’s salt peter
>>
>>1199505
I just zipped apart 2 big ass maples a few months back, burned the brush, cut into 18in segments, cured for 3 months then split with a maul. Great fucking workout, my shoulders have never been so pumped.
>>
>>1199503
Lol'd
>>
Here's a related Q:
If there is so much stump and root underground, can I get away with removing roots that have broken the surface? It's a pain mowing over and around them, not to mention they just mess up the overall appearance of the yard.
I always assumed getting rid of some of those surface roots would make the tree fall over.
>>
>>1199503
>terorrisms
>>
Just tie a golf club to the top of the tree. Next storm. BOOM! No more tree.
>>
>>1206339
Depends on the thickness and how many you remove. It will always weaken the tree, but if they are healthy they should compensate. What's the approximate diameter and how far from the stem?
>>
>>1199539
No. You'd probably get around $500 if it was for veneer. This might surprise you but wood is cheap, turning that wood into the finished product is the expensive part.
>>
Speaking of trees, I need to cut down about 50+ sitka spruce that are roughly 30-40m tall.
Not sure how to attack it.

Any tips?
>>
>>1208010
Det. cord
>>
>>1206339
Incorrect. Getting rid of those roots will kill the tree. They are collecting oxygen from the air as the ground doesnt supply enough for its size. Normally appear when the tree is about 15 years old.
>>
>>1203288
That's what I found when I researched it online: It used to be favored for ships. But nobody had much good to say about it for typical home-project uses or building construction, and I never see this type of wood in lumber yards either.

There is a pallet-making company down the street that uses it, though - I recognize the smell. So they, at least, are fine with using what's around here for at least one of their options.
>>
>>1205754
>Any Negro Nation that speaks French is going to be bad.
rip france
>>
Hey, so just a few things i have a problem with-

Do not under-estimate the weight of oak limbs, as they will snap your bones very quickly and easily. I can't say that enough, honestly.

What looks like nothing will likely break you or damage property. op, your tone suggests all of this is easy but it's not- bringing down trees is only easy when you understand what needs to be done, and how.
>>
If you just cut a ring on the outside of the tree, it will die pretty quickly and leave you with a dead tree. Burn that, and pay for property damages.
>>
>>1200762
How about you tell your asshole company to upgrade their shitty half a century old infrastructure so that it runs under the ground to the house like every other first world country on the fucking planet has done?

Stringing lines overhead is poverty tier infrastructure.
>>
diy tall tree cutting is such a horrendously terrible idea. if you seek out proper training first, fine, but otherwise leave it to people who know what they're doing. there are so many ways it can go wrong that you're going to be completely ignorant of without training; the risk isn't worth it at all

link related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHZkR6UVegY
>>
>>1208821
Shit costs $35k per pole.

Tell your local city to stop taxing us for literally everything

We get taxed per pair and per fiber. We get taxed per conduit. We get taxed per user. We get taxed for closing a lane of traffic, besides the traffic control we pay for. We get taxed for cutting into a road to put in a new conduit, besides the cost of the cut and repair.

Google fiber only rolled out to select cities that gave them sweetheart deals on this shit. Then the cities figured out they couldn't do it without unfucking the cable and phone companies. So they decided they would rather keep fucking the cable and phone companies so they tried to fuck google... And google just walked away.
>>
>>1199495
Contact a cooper and see if he has any ideas.
>>
>>1199506
my dumbshit-who-doesn't-know-the-difference-between-diameter-and-circumfrence sense is tingling.

But if it actually is 3 feet across leave it be, maybe just have some of the limbs trimmed if you're really worried.
>>
>>1199495
>30 foot oak trees
>>1199506
>3 feet in diameter

Sounds reasonable so far

>>1199506
>They're thin

Wait. What?

If this is the level of your critical thinking skills, please DO NOT remove the tree on your own. Hire it done. IDK you, but I'd hate for you to kys.
>>
>>1209051
>If this is the level of your critical thinking skills, please DO NOT remove the tree on your own. Hire it done.

OP BTFO
P

B
T
F
O
>>
>>1199528
>>>1199506
>>>1199495 (OP)
>That's a shit load of valuable lumber. Also, cutting trees down because you fear they will fall on you is top tier old people thinking.
Had one that was rotting from the inside, was leaning toward the house. Cheaper than replacing the roof.

Another one was shading the roof just enough to let the lichen grow up there.

Sometimes you're not paranoid...
>>
>>1209873
Trees can rot from the inside for over a century without failing. In fact it's normal for most old trees to be hollow.
>>
>>1209886

I'd not call it normal, but occasional.

When I plunge into a tree to check if it is worth felling it becomes annoying if I find two in a row that are rotten.
>>
>>1199495
>Throw a rope with a weight on the end about 25ft up.
>secure the rope "good enough"
>have your friend hold the rope in the direction you want the tree to fall
>make one cut ~2/3rds through on the side you want the tree to fall, stop the cut as soon as the tree tries to move and pinch your saw
>make the second cut slightly above the first and on the side opposite the direction the tree will fall
>tree will now fall, your friend will guide it to the ground with the rope
I hope you were smart enough to bring 60+ft of rope so your friend isn't squished.
>>
>>1199495
what kind of Jew fucked area do you live in?

Consider using block and tackle for stump removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc
>>
>>1208230
It's preferred for ships because they grow curvy so they don't have to bend it. That same property makes it quite undesirable for a typical house.
>>
>>1200353
That's a picture of girdling, and girdling doesn't kill trees.
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.