[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone have tips on how to clean a bathtub/shower that hasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

File: 2010-10-19-shower-before-4web.jpg (98KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
2010-10-19-shower-before-4web.jpg
98KB, 360x480px
Does anyone have tips on how to clean a bathtub/shower that hasn't had a lot of love for a while?

I went a bit too long between cleaning my shower, and now it's got these discolored stains by the drain and on the sides. I've tried about 3 different kinds of cleaning solutions, which do very little. I've used the magic erasers which do a lot, but still leave a bit of the discolored stains no matter how much I scrub. And the most effective thing so far has been using the green armor mold away stuff. But the discoloration is still there.

A guy at the hardware store suggested using Baking soda and vinegar, which sounds like he's just fucking with me because that shit is what you use to make school project volcanoes.

I would just like for this tub to look good as new, does anyone have any tips for miracle jobs?

Pic somewhat related, not my shower.
>>
Bleach. Undiluted bleach.

Plug drain, fill with 1/8 of bleach. Let sit for an hour, scrub with a green 3m pad or magic ereaser.

Bleach will cause the drain to rust but if it's proper stainless you just wipe it off when done.
>>
>>1199413
As a complete novice who has never used bleach.

how safe it is after the fact? Do I need to let the shower run for like 20 mins after?

I have a cat, do I keep her out of the bathroom forever?
>>
>>1199416
If you get a bottle of Chlorox or generic bleach, it is already diluted. You can stick you hand right in there and suffer no damage. Just make sure you move rugs and show curtain out of the way and don't wear nice clothes. You'll want to rise the shower, but you'll have to do that anyway to wash the crud away. Just 30 seconds of flushing will clear the bleach all away.

The smell will go away quickly once you flush it. Open a window or turn on the fan during to pull out the fumes. You cat will probably hate the smell and will stay away from it until the smell is gone.
>>
>>1199408
angle grinder with a scrubby pad + comet
>>
>>1199408

... Google ...
>>
>>1199408
If it has a layer of glaze use pool cleaning acid (HCl, muriatic acid...), it will dissolve all the limestone and other residues in a couple of minutes. If not don't do this, it will eat the shower floor away.
Don't mix with bleach unless you want to Auschwitz yourself.
If it doesn't has glazing you can use cleaning vinegar, it's a far weaker acid so it won't eat the floor but it will take more time to do it's thing and more scrubbing.
>>
>>1199455
>unless you want to Auschwitz yourself.
Top zozzle
>>
180 grit sand paper.
>>
TSP - tri sodium phosphate.
>>
>>1199408

ITT: plebs never heard of the magical magic eraser
>>
>>1199517
Read OP's post again please.
>>
Boiling Water and Bleach
>>
>>1199413

I can confirm this. I guess I'm a disgusting fuck or something because every bathroom I use always ends up looking about 75% as bad as OP pic. I leave an inch of bleach sitting for a while and come back and shit looks new after a brief scrub.
>>
Vinegar and baking soda.

Or ask your mom. It's her job.
>>
>>1199570
>>1199413
Ok, so adventures since reading the first few posts.

First, I went out and bought some bleach (local store only had the clorox shit, so diluted whatever.) and I pour the whole bottle in and plug the drain with the build-in switch plug. Tub proceeds to drain as it turns out my drain doesn't work so well. Obviously no effect on stains so far.

Went back to the store and bought new bleach. For some reason my retarded reptilian-like brain remember's the advice as "Fill up the tub and then pour the bleach in, let sit for an hour." Re-reading the first response, I see he/she/xir said nothing about water, and to just use a fuckload of bleach.

So we're about 45 mins in to my fucked-up soak, during which time I'll take my green scrubs to it and see if it works.
>>
>>1199584
You'll end up needing something gritty to wipe the surface stains away.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (281KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
281KB, 1333x1000px
OP here.

As expected, >>1199584
didn't work. Likely due to me diluting the solution with a fuckload of water.

I took a pic of what I'm trying to clean.

I guess tomorrow I'm gonna go into town to a hardware store and get some sort of pure bleach and give that a go. I'm probably on some government list somewhere with how often I go back and forth buying this shit.
>>
>>1199584
I don't care what that other about said, bleach will fuck up your skin. Wear latex gloves when using that shit.
>>
File: IMG_20170625_183121.jpg (3MB, 3480x4640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_183121.jpg
3MB, 3480x4640px
>>1199599
To stop drain from draining so fast, pick up one of the rubber stoppers that goes over the hole. It's held down by the weight of the liquid. Pic related.
>>
>>1199408

Try Super Clean degreaser, you can find it in any auto store or Walmart. I use that shit to strip miniature figures of paint and it works like a charm also stripped a old Coleman stove of its original paint, came right off. It is biodegradable so it isn't going to fuck up your drains. Just pour it in for a half an hour and scrub. It comes in a purple jug or spray bottle
>>
>>1199599
please listen to me i know your answer

go to walmart and buy The Works
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ASOUTWG
liquid toilet bowl disinfectant (do not buy gel)

buy some 3M scotch-brite green scouring pads
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KKIMU0/

youll also want to wear gloves and bring a big fan to circulate the air because it can be hard to breathe

wet the area you intend to clean
liberally spray everything down with The Works
wait 5 minutes
spray everything down again
douse your scouring pad in The Works and scour problem areas

your shower will look like new. you can do this on anything- sinks, counter tops, it really makes mirrors looks phenomenal, windows

the only caveat is its harsh to breathe in. you gotta circulate air to clear it out
>>
>>1199608
Alright, I'll give this a go tomorrow.
>>1199605
Thanks. I forgot to mention I bought a stopper on my 2nd go around. It looks exactly as the one you have here.
>>1199602
I did wear gloves. But I did get some on my skin a bit. Washed my skin and stuff off immediately after. I don't feel any different and its been an hour.
>>
Plug up shower, pour in a few big bottles of coca cola. Leave overnight. Will clean just about anything.
>>
>>1199584
>he/she/xir

Next time, drink some of that bleach.
>>
>>1199640
unironically this
>>
>>1199408
mix dawn dish soap and baking soda
apply and scrub with a plastic bristled brush
>>
>>1199602
Am the other. Bleach in it's laundry form isn't very dangerous. It makes your fingers feel slippery because it turns the oils on your skin into soap. Mostly it ends up drying out your skin. Poses little threat to safety, but always better to be safe.

OP, if the bleach doesn't work after a good long soak, pick up an abrasive cleaner like ajax. It's not good for your fixtures since it will cause small scratches which will accumulate dirt faster.

Once this is through, get a bathroom cleaner and wash your shower once a week. You can even do it while you shower.
>>
>>1199683
thanks. I'll try the bleach tonight if
>>1199608
doesn't work.
>>
>>1199821
you are nuts man i use the works every time i move out of aplace after not cleaning for 3 or 4 years and it makes it look like new
>>
Get 'X-14" stores dont sell it anymore, dunno why. but Amazon has it.

Works great, just spray it on and leave. (toxic as hell)
>>
>>1199905
The Works actually isn't a bad product. Make sure you get a face mask that protects against chemical irritants. The Works has a strong odor that can't be good for your lungs.
>>
File: 20170626_191134.jpg (271KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170626_191134.jpg
271KB, 1333x1000px
>>1199608
Holy shit this worked like a charm.

I don't know if you're still here poster, but thank you so much!

Gonna be honest, after dumping 2 buckets of bleach down my drain I was starting to think I was stuck with a skeezy shower forever.

This stuff is goddamn amazing.
>>
My mom always was a big supporter of Comet. Just gotta watch though and use gloves cause that shit will eat the prints off your finger tips.
>>
>>1200084
It's still dirty though...
>>
>>1200096
A few spots here and there I'll go at.

But that discolored shit at the base has been there for a goddamn year. I've thrown all kinds of shit at it and it's never gone away.
>>
>>1200099
If it's a rental, that'll be enough to pass your move out inspection. Some Comet and a green scouring pad will take it off though. Just soak the area with water, shake comet onto the spot, and scrub with the pad.
>>
>>1200099
If you really can't get it off, you can use a pumice stone to gently scrub off the stained part. Pumice stones work great on toilet stains as well. Any stain on a toilet will come off if you rub it with pumice and you don't need to worry about damaging the porcelain.
>>
>>1199408
I have a bathtub that had been painted by the previous tenants. i bought orange paint stripper and sanded it down a bit. I reglazed it and while it isnt perfect its a lot better than before.
>>
>>1200110
>painted
???
>>
>>1200084
*tips bottle of The Works*
you might just say
It *wink* works everytime
*teleports away*
>>
>>1200164

Yeah, OP, I cleaned my tub it looked like yours. All dirty black shit you couldn't scrub off.

Pour toilet bowl cleaner all over that shit then rub it all over with a rag. I used some strong Clorox toilet cleaner it had bleach in it. Let it soak all day and overnight. Put it on the walls and everything. It stinks pretty bad so turn on the fan

DON'T put it on the chrome parts or it will tarnish it. Will come out looking brand new.
>>
>>1199589
Do NOT use anything gritty on plastic or enamel tubs.
>>
>>1200084
The Works is an acid, hydrochloric acid.

Its an incredibly good cleaner around the bathroom. Just make sure to rinse the surfaces well afterwords, ESPECIALLY chrome. Ideally once the surface is rinsed, coat the chrome with a paste of baking soda to ensure that the HCl is neutralized in any cracks and crevices.
>>
>>1200263
Don't do this. My friend mixed hydrochloric acid with baking soda and he fried his brain.
>>
>>1200279
You're not mixing a gallon of HCl with baking soda you fucking idiot.

I clearly told him to rinse the basin clean and THEN apply the baking soda paste to neutralize any possible residue. The couple possible micrograms at most of HCl left are harmless.
>>
>>1200919
That's exactly what they told Dale right before he passed.
>>
>>1199408

Spray oven cleaner on it. Let it sit for 30 mins, then slap a crimped wire cup brush onto a electric drill and scrub. Been doing apartment maintenance for yrs, this shit has worked the best. Only takes 5 mins to do (Minus the wait time for spray to work)
>>
>>1201621
guy who suggested the works here and your method is sound.

can you link to an example drill bit that you suggest on amazon?
>>
>>1201641
Not that guy, but I own a cleaning company. We used to buy the brushes, but I make them myself now. The brushes he's talking about are like these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS9TV1Q/

They get to be expensive because we go through 2-3 brushes a week. I started making them according to the instructions in this video and the per unit cost ends up being a bit under $1.30 instead of $10 a brush that Amazon wants.

https://youtu.be/vWJF5u7lBtA
>>
>>1201643
*brofist* thanks
>>
File: mzUo_2g08vgdJAncYF0YvrQ.jpg (6KB, 206x225px) Image search: [Google]
mzUo_2g08vgdJAncYF0YvrQ.jpg
6KB, 206x225px
>>1201641

This is the one I use. If you need to be more gentle, go with his setup >>1201643.
>>
>>1201657
I'm the anon with the cleaning company. The metal ones will eat up a bathtub, right? I've read that even the nylon brushes with aluminum grit in them are bad for cleaning because they're too abrasive.
>>
>>1201658

It can if you put to much pressure on it. I just let the drill and brush do the work for me. I like the metal one more cause if you angle it just a bit, it cleans tile grout pretty damn well, much better than the plastic bristle ones I've notice. Spray oven cleaner over the tile too, only let it sit for a few mins this time, now hit it with your brush.

If you got any oil stains in the garage, oven cleaner and wire cup brush once again, that stuff vanishes.

Some people even jerry rig a wire brush onto a sawzall and go to town that way.

Seriously, oven cleaner is pretty damn amazing at cleaning so many things.
>>
>>1201662
I'll have to check out the oven cleaner for some of my commercial accounts. I'm about to do my first tile and grout cleaning job next week.

I bought a floor buffer and a nylon brush head for it. It's a large church roughly 1500sqft of tiled hallways and bathrooms.

My plan is to scrub the tile and grout with the floor buffer after letting some diluted bleach sit on the floor for 10-15 minutes. Then come behind it with a shop vac to get the grime up. Maybe repeat it again if needed.

The grout isn't sealed at all and the tile has only ever been hand mopped for the last few years, so it's quite filthy.

Does this sound like the best way to do it?
>>
>>1201668

I've used bleach/water solution a few times, had decent results. Had better results with a half and half solution of vinegar and water. Even better with a baking soda and water paste, put that on and scrub it for a few, now put some vinegar and do it again, works pretty damn good

Seeing as it's such a big area you're doing, I'd avoid the oven cleaner, due to how much you'd have to use and the fumes it will put off, unless you're opening the windows and blowing some fresh air in. If you got the ventilation taken care of, I'd say go with it.

Just make sure to not use bleach and vinegar, it makes chlorine gas.
>>
>>1201675
I've used baking soda and water before. The only problem I have is getting up all the baking soda after I'm done. If I use vinegar afterwards, would the leftover baking soda react with the vinegar, cleaning up any of the baking soda grit?
>>
>>1201677

it will bubble up some, it also breaks down the baking soda even more, makes cleaning with a shop vac much easier. If you got one of those auto scrubbers with a built in wet vac, throw down some more water to break it up even more, run that over it to give it a scrubby scrub, makes cleaning up left over crap much easier. You can also just dump the waste in the sink, not worry about it fucking stuff up.
>>
>>1201680
I'll have to try it out on a small area. I've only got a floor buffer and a separate shop vac. The last job like this that I did, I did it with a deck brush and a baking soda paste. It was a huge pain to clean up the baking soda afterwards.

I think I'll use a vinegar and water mix to do most of the floor and then hit any trouble spots with baking soda.
>>
>>1201684

I hope it all goes well for you, it sucks when you dont got all the equipment you need, can make shit slower/harder.

My friend is a manager at a gym that's been around for yrs, the tile floors in the showers and restrooms have never got a proper clean besides mopping, in probably ten yrs, which all the grout is black as fuck. Gonna go in this weekend after they close, redo their floors. Lots of oven cleaner will soon be used. With how slow this board is, the thread should still be around, so I'll take before, during and after pics and show it.
>>
>>1201689
Sounds good, I'll do the same. Are you going to reseal the grout?
>>
>>1201692

It is a possibility. Friend needs to be cheap as fuck, so he's getting me to do it, instead of hiring some one (I owe him a few favors, so perfect way to pay it back)

Which he should just do it, so it won't need to be cleaned again so soon.
>>
>>1201694
There's this fantastic product called Wash and Walk from ecolab. Its used heavily in the food service industry.

Enzymes and shit. Spread it around, let it soak for ten minutes, then go through and scrub. Afterwards squeegee it down the drain. Redo once or twice and those grout lines will look amazing.
>>
>>1201759

I've tried it before, oven cleaner worked better and was way cheaper.
>>
>>1200279
Hydrochloric acid and baking soda makes salt water. Not exactly mustard gas.
>>
>>1202502
Nice try, I'm not going to fall for that trick again.
>>
>>1202507
HCl + NaHCO3 -> H2O + NaCl + CO2

Or more technically:
H3O+(aq) + CL-(aq) + Na+(aq) + HCO3-(aq) -> 2H2O(l) + Na+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + CO2(g)
Only the bicarbonate and hydronium ions actually undergo chemical changes. That spooky chloride ion doesn't do anything.
>>
>>1202527
That infograph with the crystals was just as convincing. Never again.
>>
>>1199408
Bleach or something amonia based. NEVER mix the cleaning products ever. Choose one and one only and use elbow grease. Learnt this the hard way when I accidentally made chlorine gas by mixing two products unintentionally.
>>
>>1199487
More like the razzle dazzle
>>
>>1199517
ITT: plebs never heard of reading OP to completion.
>>
>>1199408
Soak some old rags with bleach/water and lay them over the area. Rinse, then use cleanser and scrub brush. If you still have stains, think about resurfacing.
>>
>>1199408
Don't mix CLR with bleach to make a super cleaning cocktail, tried it once on a shower similar to yours almost killed myself.
>>
>>1199408
This shit will clean the sorrow off a recent widow.

I have removed 1/16" calcium deposit off of a glass shower door. The exact stains in your pic I had in my shower (steelworker) on a rough surface floor and it came off without scrubbing
>>
Are you people retarded?

OP, stop trying to concoct some poisonous brew that you think will melt away the scum.

What you need is a simple canister of Comet or Ajax, some scotchbrite pads, and elbow grease. It's about the only thing that will work. Its made to remove soap scum. It's hard work, but just keep at it and you will be rewarded with a sparkling clean shower.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.