[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could someone who has never done concrete work handle putting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: concrete-screed.jpg (123KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
concrete-screed.jpg
123KB, 600x400px
Could someone who has never done concrete work handle putting down a 15x20ft concrete pad for a shed? I have it formed and am getting a truck, have 2 friends that will help me pour it and finish it, just worried that it won't turn out good
>>
>>1198898
You'll be able to finish up nicely if you have a magnesium finish float on a pole...
>>
>>1198908
Yes I have access to aluminum screeds, a bull float, jointer and a horsehair broom along with a lot of hand tools/edgers
>>
im asking the same, putting down a 3m x 6m shed. Were only using the concrete as a slab foundation and will be building another floor on top of it. Will be hiring a mixer and pouring it ourselves.
>>
>>1198914
>>1198898
I do industrial concrete currently, and do many different sorts of floors, the flatwork you guys are doing is really simple, depending on how smooth you want to get it. The most important thing about finishing is making sure your are screeding it flat because it is easier to knock out high spots with a screed than with a trowl or float.

>>1198914
I would definitively consider a truck for something that big as mixing it can get touchy if your mixer is bad/inconsistent
>>
>>1198898
>>1198914

I have worked concrete for a couple years and would still be daunted doing my own, but its not hard. Depending on the temp, you should have awhile to finish it..
Do you have a vibrating screed? I would definitely reccomend for the 15*20. The small one can be done with two guys and a 2*4.
Screed it level, then hit it with aluminum screed. If you fuck up smoothing it just hit it more.. you want to have a guy on the other end to pick up the screed and set it down if you're not experianced.. if you get a low spot, find a way to get cement out there and screed again. You can walk out there if you have to. Its just more screed work.. do the edges. Use a wooden trowel to move cement and a metal one to smooth.. you may not even need a metal one if you're brooming it.. hit the line made from edging.
Screed both ways, north to south and east to west if you're concerned about finish. Then broom.. one pass. Overlap about 4-6 inches. Be sure to keep even movement when screeding and brooming.. its not terribly hard and you usually have plenty of time.
Good luck
>>
>>1198898
yes
>>
>>1199090
Do you do mostly foundation work? Because that size of pad should be easily manageable for someone with a couple years experience, especially if there are no steps or anything that complicates it.
>>
>>1199237
It wouldn't be hard, but it would be worrisome doing your own project that you have to live with if you fuck up. When there isn't someone more experianced with you to consult.
>>
>>1199333
Coward.

You can do it OP!!!! consult the hive-mind of google and youtube to avoid pitfalls and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1199338
It sounds like OP has a good idea of what he needs to do and has help to screed and someone to edge, it might not turn out to be professional level but it shouldn't end up horrifically bad
>>
WWorked for various concrete companies for over 30 yrs.
A small slab is doable, but can turn horribly wrong on the inexperienced.
Screeding will make or break your project. 15'x20' is not that easy. Best if you use a laser to ensure the proper grade, otherwise you're likely to end up with waves. Also having the top of the forms set to grade will make things easier as well.
You will have some time, but the clock is ticking once it's placed, and when the concrete starts to set you are fucked if you are not ready.
A three man crew is minimum, especially when you have no idea what you are doing. Troweling is by feel, and you can't learn that from a video.
Keep the concrete fairly wet, say a 7 slump. Work quick, you want it floated while it is still workable.
You have proper tools, so that's a plus. I assume you have a basic knowledge on how to use them.
Good luck, Anon. DIY concrete is a challenge, but worth it if you do it right.
>>
>>1198898
>shed
>pad

sounds like a massive waste of money lol
2 strips, blocks on top, floor joists strung between.
>>
If you have neighbors that might object, then you need to check building codes, might need a rat wall in some municipalities. You almost certainly need a building inspection if you want to keep kosher.

If you're in the rurals, just do it, it's fucking simple as shit
>>
I would try to find some experienced finishers if I was you. Just go to a construction site where their actively placing concrete and ask the guys if they do side jobs. In California, expect to pay 200-300/day CASH for experienced construction side jobs on weekends (per man)
>>
Jus have someone with a good eye and a bull float and it'll look good.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.