[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My power goes out probably more often then North Korea's.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: 20170624_191330.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_191330.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
My power goes out probably more often then North Korea's.

Im currently pooping in the pitch black.

DTE is objectively the worst power company on earth.

I live in a APT and can't put shit on the roof or install things on the balcony.

How can i power a 65in tv, computer, a few lights, a DVR, and ps4 for a minimum of 8 hours so this stops happening?

Pic related. At 17% battery and i haven't even finished pooping to use my phone as a flashlight. Likely won't even get a clean wipe because i can't see
>>
>>1198882
Put a generator out there. What are you, stupid?
>B-but muh neighbors
Fuck them.
>B-but muh apartment complex
Doesn't do anything about it, right?

I'd start sending your power company a bill for your lost food. Better yet, bitch to them every day.
>>
>>1198882
Solar panels, charge controller, battery array, and inverter. I live in a small town and we used to disconnect the main breaker and connect the inverter output into a wall socket to power the house's electrical grid for a while during blackouts.

>I live in a APT and can't put shit on the roof or install things on the balcony.
How fast can you pedal :^) Jokes aside, there's no need to use solar panels though, you can charge your batteries from the grid and use the power stored in them to run an inverter.

With all those things running you're looking at 1000W going down the drain. If you want your setup to last 8 hours you'll need an 8000 Wh array. That's as much as a Tesla power wall, so if you're going to spend that much energy a generator would be a cheaper but noisier idea.
>>
File: 20170624_200532.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_200532.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1198895
>start sending your power company a bill for your lost food

I can do that? Seriously?

>>1198897
>That's as much as a Tesla power wall
Ok maybe ill just buy a generator and long extension cord.

Fuck the rules

Remembered my jump pack has a usb charger. So i can at least charge my phone
>>
>>1198882
You can get a UPS to give you enough time to shut stuff down. Don't know how much runtime you'd get off the huge ones the size of a desktop PC for server rooms. You don't need all that for 8 hours. Get a 300 dpi e-ink reader and power bank for your phone. Or some dead tree (books). Or go somewhere. Quit being a turboloser.

Why are you not more concerned about your freezer? Do you have a sad bachelor fridge (just beer and condiments)? That much outage will make stuff melty and it may exceed its duty cycle catching up and fail prematurely.
>>
>>1198882
I used a big UPS, but they are expensive unless you can get one cheap and replace the batteries.

Bitch at the power company and at the apartment management.

But look for "small camping generator" go for the one that has the lowest noise.
>>
>>1198909
>concerned about your freezer?
now, I'm just guessing here, but..
>'a 65in tv, computer, a DVR, and ps4 for a minimum of 8 hours..'
goddamn it murica. You deserve to shit in the dark. Make yourself a candle, read a book, unplug half (or all) that shit already, FFS.
>>
>>1198927
No need for candle. You can much brighter LEDs off a tiny battery for weeks without the soot and fire hazard.
>>
>>1198903

No, but you can complain, to the DoE. They will take it seriously. However i feel this .at be more your apartment unit or complex issue
>>
File: FWZFZZAGBVJBTAK.MEDIUM.jpg (27KB, 620x318px) Image search: [Google]
FWZFZZAGBVJBTAK.MEDIUM.jpg
27KB, 620x318px
OP here, The electric came back on....DTE said It was going to be 30 hours but I got lucky.

If I wanted to make a bike/generator.

Can someone explain the general principle and what I'll be able to power with one? Possibly linking me to exactly the type of motor I would need and any wiring diagram.

I'm searching now but It's always good to hear it straight from the horses mouth

I want to do that for fun/emergencies

I'm defiantly buying a generator though, Fucking sick of this shit
>>
>>1198939
Well It's an apartment complex but some of the apartments are owned, Others are rented.

There is an "association" but It's nearly non existent unless you call them long distance and arrange a meeting a week plus in advance.

On DTE's (the electric company) it shows on an outage map. An 1800 other people are without power right now in my city as well, So I think It's the electric company.

This shit happens literally monthly
>>
File: 20170624_214249.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_214249.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1198909
>>
File: 1498355013319.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1498355013319.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>1198948
>>
>>1198882
Potatoes
:^)
>>
>>1198882
DTE has always been good to me.
>>
>>1198942
Complain to the DoE and your states public utilities commission. The DoE will forward your complaint to the appropriate people.
>>
File: 14278527162451.jpg (58KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
14278527162451.jpg
58KB, 499x499px
TFW with DTE and never lose power when all my friends constantly get fucked.
>>
Is bloom box an option? They seem like a good solution, but I have no clue about cost...
>>
>>1199034
nvm, looks like an industry only solution. generators it is
>>
>>1198882
I lived in rural Bumfuck USA on a farm.

Power outages were a way of life.

We relied heavily on deep freeze chests for storing most of our food and those dont show signs of defrosting for days after power cuts.

We also kept bottles of water in the freezers.

When the power cut, wed move all the stuff in the fridge to the lowest shelf, toss a couple bottles of frozen water on the top shelf and pack the freezer full of them. Longest I recall keeping food that way was 7 seven days when the generator was broked. The Ice acts as a thermal storage solution. It increases the thermal mass that needs to warm up thus extending how long it takes for something to thaw.

As far as your entertainment goes...
Get a laptop and a UPS. thats the cheapest way. Even shitty UPS can keep a laptop going for 24 hours.
>>
>>1199055
Not a single consumer grade ups able to do that. An hour would be a miracle.

You are talking about a several thousand dollar enterprise level ups.
>>
>>1199128
What? My laptop last 2-4 hours with its puny 48wh battery (and it's not even one of those low power ultrabook with a 15w CPU tdp ). I don't know what kind of battery they put in low cost ups but I would expect much more.
>>
>>1199128
Modern laptops have low TDPs.
Depending on what you're using it for a good modern laptop can last 8 hours easily or even more if you stretch it.
An efficient laptop may draw under 20 watts.
>>
>>1198940
You can sustain about 100 watts output until you get tired. You won't be running all that bullshit off a bike.
>>
>>1198882
>DTE is objectively the worst power company on earth.

Do you live on the south end of Auburn Hills border with west bloomfield?

That area is fucked for power. The Kroger shut down and moved because the power went out so often they would lose millions a year on perishables and frozen goods.

Some HOAs around there are trying to get their lawsuits class action status, don't expect anything to get fixed for decades at the minimum.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.