[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've been smoking pipes for 20 years and I've decided

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: magritte1.jpg (12KB, 494x348px) Image search: [Google]
magritte1.jpg
12KB, 494x348px
So, I've been smoking pipes for 20 years and I've decided to start making my own wood pipes. I've been doing a lot of reading, watching YouTube tutorials, and so on, and the thing which is causing me the most concern is wax/oil. Everyone seems to have a different treatment for the wood, and a lot of the instructions are contradtory. This wouldn't be a problem except that some people warn that using the wrong wood treatment can not only harm the wood, it can be toxic.

The main options seem to be tung oil, linseed, carnauba wax, beeswax, olive oil, and nose oil. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on what I should be using on pipe wood (generally briar, but other hardwoods like apple possible) without poisoning myself?
>>
Interesting being worried about a little bit of chemical vapor relative to purposefully inhaling toxic pipe tobacco vapor for 20 years isn't it?
>>
>>1198419
(1) You don't inhale a pipe. You smoke for flavour and absorb the nicotine through your bucal membranes.

(2) According to the NIH, moderate pipe smokers who don't inhale actually have a LOWER chance of early death than strict non-smokers. 20% lower to be exact.
>>
>>1198416
If you're worried about toxins use olive oil and finish with bee was. Personally I'd go with boiled linseed.
>>
>>1198423
Some people have said that olive oil will go rancid, especially with the kind of exposure to heat a pipe gets. Any reason you'd go with linseed over tung oil?
>>
How about building your own vaporizer that resembles a pipe, maybe a replica of the one seen in this masterpiece?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
>>
>>1198434
Because I enjoy smoking a pipe?
>>
>>1198426
I have more experience with linseed, and it would remind me of milsurp.
>>
>>1198416

>>>/out/1043009

if that doesn't work
>>>/out/1043009
>>
I've been smoking a pipe for 6 months now and have had this very idea. I'm greatly enjoying it and I want to craft my own. Intently watching this thread.
>>
If i could make a a lord of the rings style churchwarden pipe i would pick up pipe smoking.
>>
>>1198589
A churchwarden is no more difficult to make than any other pipe. You can buy a vulcanite stem of any shape or length you want off a site like smokingpipes.com, which is the hard part of making a churchwarden. Even if the specific shape you're looking for isn't available, it's simple to just boil the stem until it's soft and then bend it into any shape you want.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.