[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, i need help. Ive got this laptop and im trying to remove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: 20170623_141908_HDR.jpg (826KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_141908_HDR.jpg
826KB, 1440x1440px
Hey guys, i need help. Ive got this laptop and im trying to remove the screw to the hdd cover ao i can replace it with an hdd, but i kind of accidentally grinded the little slot in the screw where the tip of the bit goes. so now i cant remove the screw. Whenever i try to unscrew it with any bit or screwdriver, it doesnt catch it and im fucking frustrated.
Pic related
>>
Im about ready to just pry the damn hdd slot cover off and buy a replacement
>>
>>1198367
Buy a better camera, and JB weld a screwdriver on that bad boy.
>>
>>1198369
Thanks
>>
Drop of glue. The strong type.
Once unscrewed, it's easy to break of the screwdriver.
>>
you need some way to apply force/torque to the outside edge of the screw to twist it

Take a small flathead screwdriver and put tip against a burr or something on the outside edge thatll give you purchase. Angle it and tap with hammer
>>
>>1198378
>Drop of glue. The strong type.
>>1198369
>JB weld a screwdriver on that bad boy.

these are jokes right?
>>
>>1198409
No, you are
>>
Put a rubber band over the screw and use a screwdriver to unscrew it like normal.
>>
>>1198409
People regurgitate this horse shit and actually think it works without using common sense.

Its pretty sad honestly
Just wait for the "melt the end of a ball point pen" or "put a rubber band on the tip of the screwdriver" retards to come in aswell.
>>
File: stripped screw removal.jpg (29KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
stripped screw removal.jpg
29KB, 350x350px
>>
File: speedout.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
speedout.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>1198367
This set of speed outs is between 10 and 20 dollars, I've used them on brass screws on valves mostly, but have used them on small laptop screws once before as well

They just need any generic drill with a chuck.

Good cheap extractors to keep around for your average guy, good as EZ-out style extractors for low torque screws
>>
>>1198367
Use a rubber band or some solder
>>
>>1198542
sold online, or in-store at home depot, lowes, walmart and a good number of other generic chain stores
>>
Get a drill and drill into the screw, then take another screw with tight threads and try and screw it into the hole, once it bights put a drop of glue into the hole and then unscrew it. It works on the same principle as
>>1198542
>>1198540
It just means you won't have to buy them, but if you're willing to spend $10 then get them.
>>
>>1198538
Idk, I never fucked a screw so badly I had to ask a Nepalese rug sewing forum how to deal with it.
Why wouldn't glue work?
>>
>>1198645
It would work, but now you've fucked your screwdriver.
>>
>>119864
Oh no!
That's literally tens of cents to replace.
>>
>>1198646
Just heat it up a bit and the glue will break off.
>>
File: 9NryoA.jpg (63KB, 800x422px) Image search: [Google]
9NryoA.jpg
63KB, 800x422px
>>1198540
I could never get these things to work. I was probably doing it wrong. My employer bought them, didn't know how to use them or give us time to even YouTube it.
> do it on your own time
Fuck that. Working 70 hour weeks, I wasn't giving them a drop of my personal time.
>>
File: 1498266019195.jpg (43KB, 451x443px) Image search: [Google]
1498266019195.jpg
43KB, 451x443px
Also, some laptops retain the screw so you don't lose them. They just spin around in the back plate. I hope you didn't accidentally the laptop.
>>
>>1198367
just like recomendet use super glue(Cyanoacrylate) on the screw driver when you remove the screw heet the joint with a lighter or anyting, the super glue will evaporate,
you can re-use the screw just make it a slot with a small saw or dremel
>>
>>1198773
Reusing tiny screws like that is mongtarded.

The superglue trick is legit but often doesn't work.

Cover kits with screws are also cheap. I'd carefully pry the cover away from the notebook body to break it, twist off the "eyelet" which goes around the screw, then pinch the screw head with needlenose pliers and remove it. I've assembled many 'Pads from organ donors and that method works.

Also it's better to ask Lenovo/Pad questions on the Thinkpad forums or on /g/.

It's too tiny to drill for an extractor so ignore those suggestions. You COULD drill the head off the screw if you have a small bit that's about the diameter of the screw shank, but don't force it or go too far since you need to be able to grip what's left to unscrew it.
>>
Example cover kit, order what fits your specific model.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hard-Drive-Caddy-Cover-Kit-for-IBM-Lenovo-T400-R400-Laptop/1632758474
>>
>>1198367
I use a drop of valve grinding compound in cases like this.
The grinding compound grit gives the screwdriver a no-slip grip.
>>
you have two choices anon.
1. pick a drill bit with a diameter slightly larger than the shaft of the screw and drill the screw head off
2. use a dremel and a cut-off wheel to cut a slot in the head of the screw
>>
>>1198645
no fucking shear strength, lrn2physics
>>
>>1198868
Not when there's fuck all left of it.
>>
>>1198367
Impact screwdriver.
>>
are youngfags retarded? Use a drill bit and set the drill in reverse. DUH.
>>
>>1200483
Gr8 b8 m8
>>
File: 61686.png (205KB, 841x682px) Image search: [Google]
61686.png
205KB, 841x682px
>>1200565
>>
my fuck what is it with people and posting the worst fucking picture possible, its like you edited the pic to make it worse holy fuck
>>
How fucking dumb are you that you cant remove a pos hdd cover. litterly the same type of cover on my x220 popped off today and I just snapped it back in. Its held by 1 screw and a few small plastic tabs. You can pry a tiny flat head in the center area and pop it out with out damage.

As for the screw:
>Take a flat head slighty larger then stripped area and tap it in with hammer a bit then unsrew
>Drill with a bit slightly larger then stripped area but smaller then the head.Very shallow your goal is only to remove the kneck area to sepperate top flange from screw part. Then remove cover and use duckbills to remove rest of screw.
>Notch it out with dremal or small Nail file enough to use flat head.

Now wonder the world is turning shit with all these brainiacs wondering around.
>>
>>1200623
Not sure if genius or troll.
>>
>>1200831
The purpose of left hand bits is screw extraction, but they are too large to drill into the screw sufficient to remove it.
>>
File: HaIFixedIt.jpg (302KB, 1596x1192px) Image search: [Google]
HaIFixedIt.jpg
302KB, 1596x1192px
>>1198367
>>
>>1200623
didn't mention LH drill bits though, did ya?

OP gonna look a cunt trying to use a normal drill bit in reverse.
>>
>>1200733
>Now wonder the world is turning shit with all these brainiacs wondering around.
Eh you say that but some laptop screws are just plain stupid.

I've got a Dell Mini 10 which has some screws with brass gripper nuts on the other side which are supposed to grip against nearby plastic, I had one motherfucker which was loose which you couldn't do anything with since it would constantly spin. I didn't have a dremel to slice the head off and the plastic was too delicate to slide in some needlenose pliers, I think in the end I stabbed and held in place the nut with a smallest jewelers flathead I had and gradually screwed the business end out.

Fucking ordeal for a shitty screw.
>>
>>1198544
>>
I did this to a laptop once, I ended up just fuckin drilling through the screw that I stripped.

It was an old laptop though so I didn't care if it made it out alive or not.
>>
>>1200623
This is the correct answer.
13 chances of success!
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.