[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone point in the direction of a comprehensive guide on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
Can anyone point in the direction of a comprehensive guide on bending copper tube in 15mm & 22mm?

I'm going to be replacing my bathroom soon and I would like to utilize as many bends as I possibly can.
>>
pain in the dick to get right, especially without a lot of practice. I've never done it, but I bent plenty of EMT over the years installing systems in my houses and for friends.

Soldering is really easy, and lasts just as long. Might want to consider it
>>
>>1198235
You usually don't the copper will be weaker and thinner at the bend. If you were just fucking around doing art or something I get a tubing bender and some sand. Put sand in tube and bend away.Keeps it from buckling.
>>
>>1198240

I'll be soldering at some points, where I have no choice, but I would like to use bends where I can.

I'll be having to bring the hot and cold feed over the waste pipe for the sink, so it's either a pair of passover bends or using 8 elbows, which would just look ridiculous.
>>
>>1198244
If it works for pressures in refrigerant lines it works for the much lower pressures in plumbing.
OP, buy a kit and use it. 'Tubing bender kit'. There's no comprehensive guide for using one, it'd be like having a guide for how to hammer a nail. You use it and get good at it. (Now's when some wiseass brings up a specialized application that requires at least some training in specific use of a precise type of nail)
>>
I love to run a torch (and rebuild and collect acetylene and LP torches) but fuck bending and soldering inside my house unless absolutely necessary.

I've used these for years with no problems and they kick ass.

http://www.probite.com/plumbing/how-to-connect-copper.html

You can rotate and twist assemblies while working on them and you can't do that with soldered joints. Gaiter seals last decades on automobile engines so they'll be understressed in a house.

Where you want to bend, buy the kit as mentioned above and practice several bends before your workpiece.
>>
>>1198293
What's your malfunction?
>>
To piggy back off OP, what's a good way to bend 3/8 steel rod? Building a trellace for mommy.
>>
File: 338-optional-dies.jpg (116KB, 790x924px) Image search: [Google]
338-optional-dies.jpg
116KB, 790x924px
>>1198306
if trellis=plant arch, a ring roller is the right tool.
>>
>>1198235
For stuff you don't need potable water from, just use pex.

When I bend copper, I pack it with sand. Just make the bends really big instead of small and sharp.
>>
>>1198262
>If it works for pressures in refrigerant lines it works for the much lower pressures in plumbing.

There are a few differences, though. Refrigerant lines uses much thinner tubes with much higher (wall thickness)/(inner diameter) ratio, refrigerant is not corrosive and the pressures experienced by plumbing from water hammering when a tap is closed quickly is actually quite insane.

I'm sure plumbers have not thought about these issues, the fools.
>>
File: copperPtrap.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
copperPtrap.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
check with an appliance or HVAC supply house. An oil trap used for multi story AC installations might duck the waste pipe for you.
>>
I wouldn't recommend trying to bend the 10ft. straight sections flexible copper can be pricey in the package sizes check what a plumber will charge if you pick up the pieces you need bent at his shop
>>
>>1198366
HF ok? Only need 8x 45° bends. Will a torch and nail template work just as well?
>>
Cross over fitting is what you need or skip copper and go cpvc or pex. Or put you pipes in the wall where the belong and fuck what they look at.
>>
File: Garden-Arches-Metal-7.jpg (151KB, 714x510px) Image search: [Google]
Garden-Arches-Metal-7.jpg
151KB, 714x510px
>>1198406
nvm thought you were trying to make something more complicated.
torch and template will work fine.
>>
>>1198256
you know how expensive copper is right?
are you going to scrap all the bits you fuck up until you perfect it to make your money back?
in the olden days pipes were bent and that was that but shitty profiteers are squeezing every fucking penny they can now, copper pipe is getting thinner and thinner and thinner, shop around you will find plenty of complaints increasing over time about thin wall pipe bending poorly, folding or even snapping.

if you already have the kit to solder joints you might as well use it.
>>
File: 2326_org.jpg (95KB, 800x517px) Image search: [Google]
2326_org.jpg
95KB, 800x517px
>>1198430
Thanks man!
>>
>>1198244

I think you are talking rubbish.

I have never heard of this happening and ive been in the industry for years, as has my dad. And every other type of bend i have seen leak bar the new crimping stuff. Mains pressure is 4bar in my area also so hardly low.

Op there are methods of measuring to get pefrect lengths but i forgot them long ago ( the time needed for this makes it not cost effective)

Do it by eye And whatever you do dont get a dirt cheap pipe bender, you will end up with Kinks in the bends.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.