[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Home security camera I was thinking about security system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: Security-Camera.jpg (87KB, 1032x856px) Image search: [Google]
Security-Camera.jpg
87KB, 1032x856px
DIY Home security camera
I was thinking about security system for my home.
Any tips?

How i want this to work?
>i want to be able to start/stop recordings remotely, from my phone/PC via bluetooth or wi-fi
>Video Quality at least 720P
>it should save videos, on sd card, and then upload them to my FTP server, so i can view them on my computer
not necessary must-have features
>would be good if worked only within my local network
>would be good to have liveview, from camera while recording, liveview can be shit quality as long as the actual recording is saved in 720p
>would be good if it also recorded sound

I am thinking about using raspberry pi to do it, is it possible? Is it hard? It would be my first time making a project with raspberry pi.
If so how am i supposed to do it, where to start? I saw some tutorials on google but most of them is only about streaming.

At first i thought about turning old android smartphones into security cameras, since they are cheap and have verry qood quality cameras but i can't find any app that would work for me i tried
>IP WEBCAM
it seems to work ok, but the video quality is shit tier, actually it's more a slideshow than video
I also tried to use
>Teamviewer
Which had more potential, because i could start recording, from computer, then launch ftp app and dump recordings on my PC but, it doesn't work on some phones properly(only duplicates screen and doesn't allow to controll the phone from computer) also it requires accepting permission on phone every time i connect PC and it's not working within my local network.
>>
>>1197733
Nest.
>>
>>1197740
what?
>>
>>1197740
Good call.

OP clearly isnt capable of doing it himself
>>
File: genius-158.jpg (17KB, 443x232px) Image search: [Google]
genius-158.jpg
17KB, 443x232px
OP here i think i got this.
>use raspberry PI
>connect the camera
>make FTP server on raspberry pi
>enable SSH on raspberry pi
>using SSH remotely start/stop recording videos
>save videos on RaspberryPI
>have acces to videos on my computer via FTP server
Will it work?
also i found this
>http://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface
seems like it can be pretty handy if i used dedicated camera for raspberry
>>
>>1197733
You will need:
laptop (hidden in cupboard)
internet (better wired than wifi)
720p webcams (different manufacturers, different drivers)
good usb extenders
ispy (free version is fine)
dropbox (free version is fine)

You install Ispy, set your webcams however you want (I use motion detection for mine). You set the laptop to still work when you close the lid, hide it in a cupboard or something (I have mine under the desk, I keep those fans clean so there's no noise). You set the recordings to be saved in your dropbox folder, they will automatically be uploaded on cloud (that's why wired internet is better, you get instant upload). If you want live feed you just access your laptop remotely.

>i want to be able to start/stop recordings remotely, from my phone/PC via bluetooth or wi-fi - checked
>Video Quality at least 720P - checked
>it should save videos, on sd card, and then upload them to my FTP server, so i can view them on my computer - checked
>would be good if worked only within my local network - checked
>would be good to have liveview, from camera while recording, liveview can be shit quality as long as the actual recording is saved in 720p - checked
>would be good if it also recorded sound - checked
>>
>>1197809
That's pretty soid idea. Thanks anon
The Problem is that it requires a lot of wiring, which i would like to avoid. But it seems verry easy to do. If i won't figure out better solution i will do that.
>>
>>1197799
I just finished lurking raspberry pi forum and i am confused. I have few questions.
>Is it possible to record video with audio, using dedicated raspberry pi camera and USB microphone
>Is it possible to record video with audio using USB webcam?
>If i use HD webcam, wil it record in HD with raspberry PI, i think i read somewhere that raspberry isn't powerfull enough to handle it throuh USB port?
>>
Check out the Linux program "motion," I use it to keep track of group spaces.
>>
>>1197868
USB 2.0 isn't meant for the data rates required. You'll need to use the dedicated video input port, and the dedicated camera module. Even then you'll be limited to simply saving raw uncompressed video data on your SD card (if you don't use a shield module).
There's a workaround though, buy a USB webcam that has onboard video processing into more manageable formats like the C920. The Pi can work with that much more efficiently.
>>
>>1197747
Nest security cameras. This shit is just not worth doing on your own compared to the convenience of a cloud controlled based platform such as the nest cameras.
>>
>>1197906
>cloud controlled based platform
I've actually been looking for a way to more conveniently stream my daily activities to the CIA
>>
File: i-85qTV35-L.jpg (96KB, 800x598px)
i-85qTV35-L.jpg
96KB, 800x598px
>>1197733
>i want to be able to start/stop recordings remotely, from my phone/PC via bluetooth or wi-fi
What about start/stop on a schedule, or on motion?
>Video Quality at least 720P
What about a couple megapixels?
>it should save videos, on sd card, and then upload them to my FTP server, so i can view them on my computer
Do all that and push it to a shared folder on the computer?

>would be good if worked only within my local network
All firewalling/network setup. Probably set up to do this alraedy, even with a shit-ass all-in-one.
>would be good to have liveview, from camera while recording, liveview can be shit quality as long as the actual recording is saved in 720p
called "dual stream" - one hires, another lowres. Also, RTSP.
>would be good if it also recorded sound
Careful doing that; federal wiretap laws still apply there. I live in a "single-party-consent" state... if I'm one side of the conversation, and I consent to recording, i'm legal to record without the ohter party's knowledge (My helmet camera records audio; legal since i'm there and a party to teh conversation). Recording audio on my porch, if one salesman is talking to another, is not legal since neither is aware of or can give consent to recording.
Two-party-consent states require both parties to be aware and consent to recording, this is why most callcenters say "thank you for calling shit-ass company, my name is mohammed and this call may be recorded, how can I help you today?". Covers their ass, and if you don't consent they just end the call.

Most modern network cameras cover all of your reqs though.
Mine
>record on a schedule, or can arm motion-detection recording.
>shoot/record 4mp high-res video, stream 480x320 or something to my phone when requested
>Saves to local SD card (easier access from home/on the LAN), uploads to AWS (should the camera get destroyed/stolen). Lifecycle on AWS prevents videos from living eternally.
>Pic extremely related
>>
File: i-WmtpPbn-L.jpg (69KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-WmtpPbn-L.jpg
69KB, 799x450px
>>1197906
For the money, IMO nest kind of sucks.
Commercial-grade cameras offer a lot more features at less cost than the consumer shit gets you.

Axis is probably the best, Pelco's another excellent choice. But you'll pay for those systems.
I've been happy with my Hikvision cameras here. Ubiquiti makes some domes that do record audio as well. Both for much more reasonable prices than pelco/axis. Both also have cloud-configuration and monitoring tools.
>>
i hope you're prepared to run cat5e cables all over your house to NEC and BICSI standards!
>>
>>1197978
Who hasnt already ran CAT6?
>>
File: IMG_2992.jpg (80KB, 992x558px)
IMG_2992.jpg
80KB, 992x558px
Hello there diy, am also interdasted in getting some security cameras. I live in a roughing part of town and my house is the best kept on the street, same with my car. I already have an angry huntaway who's free to roam in my backyard and an 870 under my bed.

I have a max budget of around $1500 nzd, I was thinking of getting some generic Swann system with 4 cameras and hooking it up to a server in the wardrobe. Thoughts?
>>
File: i-5dmxmxz-L.jpg (41KB, 338x600px)
i-5dmxmxz-L.jpg
41KB, 338x600px
>>1197978
Totally fucking worth it. Waited way too long to do that project.

AP in teh house, another AP in the garage... good wifi everywhere...
Add a camera? Screw it to the wall, push the cable through the wall, plug it into the nearest jack.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.