[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently, I got a hold of some Sherline machine tools. It�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 20170617_142719.jpg (3MB, 2988x5312px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_142719.jpg
3MB, 2988x5312px
Recently, I got a hold of some Sherline machine tools. It's a Model 2000 milling machine, and Model 4400 lathe, with all the trimmings. I think it was bought as the Model 6000-DRO Ultimate Machine shop package. http://sherline.com/product/6000-dro6010-dro-ultimate-machine-shop-package/
There is also a second Digital Read Out display, which goes for about another $250, and a cart (shown) which I actually have a reciept that it cost $160 in 2008. (I'm assuming it was all bought pretty much together.)
I'm trying to sell it, and I have no idea what I should charge. They're very lightly (read: BARELY) used machines, and they come with all the trimmings. I did some quick math, and it's almost $3700 worth of tools new. What do you think is a reasonable price for these? I know just about nothing regarding the used machine tool market.
>>
File: 20170617_142823.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_142823.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
The lathe
>>
>>1197456
Sherline is in a weird spot for machine tools. way more expensive than the hobo freight chink mill/lathe but not quite as expensive as a used bridgeport. most people will either spring the little bit extra for the bridgeport or go turbo jew with the HF stuff.
>>
>>1197456
>not keeping them and doing some machining

Put it on craigslist and ask for trade offers
>>
>>1197471
>>not keeping them and doing some machining
I don't have room for them in my apartment. They're currently in my parents' garage, and I would rather have the money than start learning about machining stuff.
>>
>>1197469
Even the HF milling machine and lathe cost more than what I'm thinking for a price for these.
>>
>>1197478
where do you live
>>
>>1197456
half the price of them new + extras
>>
>>1197475
>Sherline
>I don't have room
Is your apartment a cardboard box?
>>
>>1197456
sell em to me senpai
>>
>>1197478
The cheapest harbor freight mill and lathe only cost ~$1200 together.
You could probably get that, maybe alittle more than that if waited it out and found the right buyer. Like the other anon said, at that price you can buy a full size lathe, or a full size Bridgeport instead of buying your much less useful baby sized ones. It's a tough sell because you don't know how abused The machine was till you use it. That and people have a specific hobby in mind, want one or the other. Selling both is gonna be harder, but it's also what makes it special

They are too big to ship, and if you got them for free I wouldn't feel awful with any profit. Just hope you have a buyer and he's local.
>>
Thanks, all. I'm going to try it at $1500 and see what I get.
>>
>>1197805
What state?
>>
>>1197816
Massachusetts
>>
>>1197600
>The cheapest harbor freight mill and lathe only cost ~$1200 together.
?
A Sieg-made (what HF sells) micromill and lathe cost <$1000, under $500 if you can find both on sale. And they're larger/more capable than the Sherline. Sherline stuff is very finely made, but so light-duty it's barely usable on wood and plastic let alone something soft like aluminum. And the DRO stuff is all open-loop so ~ useless.

I don't get how they charge so much for a tool that gets bogged down by cheese.
>>
>>1197835
[followup]
Holy shit, prices went up. In 2006 I bought an X1 MicroMill for $199 and the matching lathe for $299. Both are more than twice that now.
>>
>>1197829
Bridgeports fall off trucks around here. Places can't get rid of them fast enough. :-|
>>
>>1197520
yeah thats about right for sherline stuff. only cheapskates and tire kickers are interested in that it.
>>
>>1197845
Damn, they are expensive elsewhere. Of course Mass manufacturing isn't coming back.
>>
>>1197805
I think you'll end up closer to 500 each. It's really dependant on how much used equipment is available in area and local interest. Detroit... lots of this equipment around, drives down prices. S FL... very little out there, high prices.

Getting any ideas?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.