[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is balancing when it comes to 18650 cells? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

How important is balancing when it comes to 18650 cells?

I plan on making a battery pack for my phone using 6 ncr18650b cells.
Based on my current extended battery, the three cells seem to have no load or charge balance, but they do good enough. I also slow charge it at around 350-500mah, and have no plans for quick charging.

My plan is to literally disconnect the cell from the original battery, and connect the 6 cells in parallel to it(after initially balancing them). Is it this easy?

Is 85wh in a phone enough for an act of terrorism if I try to fly with it?
>>
>>1196458
>mfw this is the type of dangerous horse shit people have to think of when manufacturers put non removable batteries in their phones

How about buying a phone that actually has features you want?
>>
>>1196644
Can you please start a list of phones with factory batteries over even 30Wh that are 5.5 inches or smaller then?

That is the feature I want, and to get it, I must build it.
>>
>>1196644
I may have misread you. I plan on using a galaxy S5, which has a removable battery.
>>
I tried out just fucking doing it.
It works, and charges.

This battery board straight doesn't fucking care, I even wired it backwards accidentally and it still works.
Guess I'm going to order a couple batteries off ebay and try to get a better end on it.

Also, those cells came in parallel out of an apple battery, so I'd guess it's fine?
>>
File: IMG_20170620_201054.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170620_201054.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1196923
Forgot pic
>>
>>1196924

What a beautiful and discreet design
>>
>>1196926
It's hardly noticeable really, the way it slides into a pocket and contours to the body.

It's just a proof of concept, final solution will be 3d printed and done in a way where it won't catch fire. Honesty though, it's really not all that thicker then my current phone with its extended battery.
>>
>>1196924
This is going to be what I post on /diy/ gore threads. Is that part of a plastic fork? Here I thought you were going to make a USB battery bank, not this abomination. You'll save space if you use LiPos instead, are you just trying to use cells you have lying about?
>>
File: IMG_20170620_210231.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170620_210231.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>1196934
No, I'm going to use Ncr18650b cells eventually, because of that sweet 3400mah per cell. You won't get that with flat cells in the same footprint.
And yes, that is a fork.

Here you can see the general layout I'll be using, it does all fit within the footprint even though it doesn't look like it. It's not at all as bulky as I thought it would be. It feels good in the hand.
>>
Also, I'm not sure, but the phone may not even need the board out of the battery. I don't have a good way to test this, but these cells already have protection, so if I can omit that, I can make a much nicer connection to the phone.
I'm not sure if the nfc antenna is just straight through or if it requires the board as well.
>>
>>1196944
I thought only LiPos had protection circuits, but that might just be me.
>>
Why wouldn't you get a power bank? The charging loss is minimal, your phone can still be small when you want it to be, and you can take it outside without looking suspicious.
>>
>>1196963
This; walking into the airport with a bulky cellphone covered in bundle of wires sounds like a great way to start your first accidental trepanning session.
>>
>>1196963
Because it's one more thing to carry, and I don't want to even think about it. I just want to know I have battery life, even after a week of camping without having to bring a charger. I don't care if my phone is THICC, it already is with its 8500mah extended battery.
>>1196988
I'm clearly going to do a more professional job when I build the final version.
I doubt they would care at the airport, but I've never flown public, so I don't know.
>>
>>1197137
Make a holder that your phone and power bank can slide in and out of. That way, you don't lose the ability to quickly and easily swap out the phone's battery and the power bank/its cells.
>>
>>1197142
Why would I need to swap the cells/battery.
I would rather have one unit. It's going to last literally 2 weeks, which is plenty of time.
>>
>>1196943
Actually, I think lipoly cells have the edge on capacity for that form factor. You're wasting a lot of physical space between round cells.

I'm inclined to agree with the others in this thread who suggest making a case your phone can slide into and dock with a battery bank, instead of replacing your existing battery. If you do that, you can either haul around the whole kit, or slide the phone out if you're tired of lugging the whole bank.

You also don't have to worry about your homemade battery shorting out and shutting down the device while you're using the device on the go.

It would be trivial to just build little extensions onto an existing battery bank to grip the phone and locate a charging port with instamporh plastic.
>>
>>1197162
Power bank is better because it can charge other stuff and be charged while taking your phone elsewhere, and won't drain to zero in less than a day if you accidentally leave some bullshit running on your disconnected phone.
>>
File: _20160504_122209.jpg (2MB, 4939x2581px)
_20160504_122209.jpg
2MB, 4939x2581px
>>1197201
I'm planning on a laptop with 40 or so cells in it that I will use as a power source in addition. It will make 12v at least.
4v in a supply is useless to me.
>>1197168
Unless I use many small cells, I won't be able to put anything around the camera like I have there. Unless I make a imbalanced pack to for sure make fire happen.
I will not get tired of hauling it around. I have carried this as my personal phone for two years now.
>>
Modularity is gud

OP is dum
>>
>>1197293
Look, if I wanted a battery bank, I'd just buy one on Amazon for $10 bucks.
I had one. They're shit, cumbersome, and inconvenient.
That's why I got an s5 and an extended battery in the first place. It just isn't enough though, and for just a bit more thicc, I can more then double the capacity.
>>
>>1197298
wat r pockets
>>
>>1197302
Let him do what he wants.

OP, I recommend moulding silicone instead of 3D printing your final model, I've never had any luck with solid cases in comparison to flexible ones, and I imagine a 3D printed one will be even more fragile than the trashy common solid cases. Add solid plastic in as a reinforcing structure if you have to, but make sure it's covered.

>>1196943
Also do you think you could fit one of those cellphone camera strap-on lenses between those there cells?
>>
>>1197435
There's tons of space in between the upper cells, a max of 32mm.
I'm going to go with a reinforcing 3d printed structure with a over mold for free smell flexible something, just havnt thought about it. I don't think just silicone will do it, as the end result will weigh 3 pounds. That's a LOT of mass hitting the ground if it falls.
>>
>>1197459
I'm not sure, but you should be able to buy casting silicone of varying degrees of firmness, I just think it's the best polymer for being inert and durable.
>>
>>1197459
I think you should listen to >>1197435
If the ohine is going to weight alot, then the hard plastic is going to shatter while hitting the ground.
Soft from the inside, hard from the outside seems like the best idea. at worst, it will only crack the surface.
>>
>>1197510
>Soft from the inside, hard from the outside
I actually meant the opposite; if it's soft on the outside then it spreads the impact out, while the solid form on the inside will keep the cells and wires solidly together.
>>
>>1197577
That's the plan, yes. I'm goto reinforce and cover the battery contacts at least, so the cells can't move about, then somehow cast a removable flexible shell.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.