[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why am I starting to like these fucking things? Can someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

Why am I starting to like these fucking things? Can someone snap me out of it?
>>
>>1196451
>Why am I starting to like these fucking things?
Well they are pretty great for shipping large amounts of things. Storage also.

Can't help you if you've started to sexualise them.
>>
File: giphy.gif (105KB, 352x240px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
105KB, 352x240px
>>1196451
>>
File: IMG_2960.jpg (81KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2960.jpg
81KB, 470x313px
Just picture rust.
>>
>>1196452
This, also good if you need an inexpensive bunker.
>>
>>1196462
>>1196452
Hey /diy/, /mu/ here. I've been recently struck with a thought really interests me. I want to do research how being underwater affects the perception and creation of music. I did some research on submarines large enough for this, and all I learned is thay positive pressure is key to sucess, and that a production sub that large costs an ungodly ammount. I came here and it hit me. Page 1. Shipping container. It's made out of metal, it's designed to withstand exposure to water, and they're designed to withold the pressure of 12 other containers full of shit on top of them.

They'd honestly be perfect. They're not aerodynamic but I only need it to be stationary once it's under water.

I did a bunch of research on them before for dwellings and the only real drawback was the cost of shipping(ironic) into the countryside. But for this project it would be much cheaper because I'll be working on the project a couple miles down from the harbor they'll come in at. I have a truck driver buddy who has access to a flat bed trailer.

But I'm getting off topic as to why I'm posting. I need a little advice.

1. Should I reinforce the inside with some x's? Will that add too much weight?

2. How do I get electeicity down there? I need to be able to power a guitar amp and a record player, or an mp3 player and blue tooth stereo.

3. How do I get air down there enough for 2-3 people? Is a connection to the surface necessary? I need all the room i can for a bass amp and a drum set.

I plan on welding all the seems shut and pressure testing it. I would like to add one of the cool holes in the bottom that you can swim through.

My budget is about $4000 i have left from student loans. I have a corded drill, a 110 amp welder, a hammer, some channel locks, and other basic stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to buying the "brake press" thing from harbor freight if i need to. Some guy recommended it to me my first time looking at shipping containers.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1196462
Or a really expensive grave.
Personally, if money were no object, I'd have my body cremated and the remains ejected into space.
>>
>>1196467
>Not forcing bill gates to eat your corpse then ejecting him into space.
>>
>>1196464
Is this a pasta?
>withstand exposure to water
correct
>designed to withhold the pressure of 12 other containers full of shit on top of them
half correct
Shipping containers are not a pressure vessel. No amount of modification you do will turn a shipping container into a pressure vessel.

Suppose you somehow managed to seal a shipping container (they are not sealed), and drop it into the water.
It will implode very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N17tEW_WEU

>>1196468
Now this guy is thinking with money
>Come on Bill, eat it!
>Just one more bite and all those starving African babbies are going to be living on cloud nine!
>>
>>1196467
>Or a really expensive grave.
actually, if you count the price of the grave plot, the tomb stone, and a casket, burying a shipping container in the back yard would be much cheaper, and a lot more spacious
>>
>>1196464
Stale pasta is stale.
>>
Shipping containers are nothing more than a glorified frame wrapped in tin. The walls are shit and that's why they suck, got it?
>>
>>1196558
How long has it been around for? I first saw it a week or so ago, but I don't know if that's the first appearance. Are we witnessing the birth of a new god?
>>
>>1196563
It was from three or four weeks ago I think. Just a troll thread, like all the rest lately. If we didn't bite so hard they wouldn't keep doing it.
>>
File: deep_cargo_2a.jpg (17KB, 468x365px) Image search: [Google]
deep_cargo_2a.jpg
17KB, 468x365px
>>1196464
>>1196558
>>1196470
>>1196563
>>1196566
Wth. I've been researching the things anon has suggested to me, it wasn't a troll thread.
Pic related, thread started may 31st. I was going to start a new thread after I had an actual plan.
>>
>>1196566
Does biting by responding with copypastas count?
>>
>>1196595
Btw, not using shipping containers, probably going with a dome.
>>
>>1196595
Wait, did you post the one here too, or did you unknowingly create the pasta?
>>
>>1196598
I didn't post >>1196464
It's not pasta
>>
>>1196599
It is now, sorry.
>>
>>1196600
Goddammit
>>
>>1196462
>also good if you need an inexpensive bunker.

Definitely not a good idea for a bunker. The walls have no rigidity
>>
>>1196646
>implying he wasn't a troll poster
>responding with the exact meme he was enforcing
Maybe meme critical mass is approaching, where there are so many memes that it's impossible for people to realise that they're referencing memes naturally in their conversation.
>>
File: 1467576978902.jpg (529KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1467576978902.jpg
529KB, 2448x3264px
>>1196935

Well fuck me, I've been had!
>>
>>1196646
how do shipping lines stack these things like 20 containers high when theyre full of cars and grain and shit, then?
>>
>>1197170

the weight is on the frame, not the steel paneling ffs
>>
>>1196596
Oh no, that's very nearly required on this site.

>What did you just say about me you little faggot? You're fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
my grandpa welded two together, framed and drywalled the whole inside.
nice little art studio for my grandmother.
>>
>>1196451
They are often treated with dangerous chemicals that you don't want to deal with.

The ones you are buying used are likely damaged or defected, else the cheap ass corporation would still be using them.

Cost wise small quantities and individuals get hit with such a high markup it is worth welding your own from raw stock, to better meet your needs.

Sure the from factor is intresting, but it is not worth it.
>>
would it be possibly to make an antenna out of one of these? like say I wanted to connect to Starbucks wifi that's a few miles away?
>>
>>1197235
okay so I've now found the concept of a cantennas and realize that a shipping container is autistic overkill for a mile distance, but I'm still about how one would wire up a large metal structure itself to be used as any kind of antenna
>>
>>1197182
>>1197203

Hey /diy/, /mu/ here. I've been recently struck with a thought really interests me. I want to do research how being underwater affects the perception and creation of music. I did some research on submarines large enough for this, and all I learned is thay positive pressure is key to sucess, and that a production sub that large costs an ungodly ammount. I came here and it hit me. Page 1. Shipping container. It's made out of metal, it's designed to withstand exposure to water, and they're designed to withold the pressure of 12 other containers full of shit on top of them.

They'd honestly be perfect. They're not aerodynamic but I only need it to be stationary once it's under water.

I did a bunch of research on them before for dwellings and the only real drawback was the cost of shipping(ironic) into the countryside. But for this project it would be much cheaper because I'll be working on the project a couple miles down from the harbor they'll come in at. I have a truck driver buddy who has access to a flat bed trailer.

But I'm getting off topic as to why I'm posting. I need a little advice.

1. Should I reinforce the inside with some x's? Will that add too much weight?

2. How do I get electeicity down there? I need to be able to power a guitar amp and a record player, or an mp3 player and blue tooth stereo.

3. How do I get air down there enough for 2-3 people? Is a connection to the surface necessary? I need all the room i can for a bass amp and a drum set.

I plan on welding all the seems shut and pressure testing it. I would like to add one of the cool holes in the bottom that you can swim through.

My budget is about $4000 i have left from student loans. I have a corded drill, a 110 amp welder, a hammer, some channel locks, and other basic stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to buying the "brake press" thing from harbor freight if i need to. Some guy recommended it to me my first time looking at shipping containers.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>1197243
I'm really, really confused by what you're asking. Are you saying you want to use the container AS the antenna? As a giant hunk of different metals and materials full of welds, imperfections and various paints, it is probably one of the worst things you could want to resonate. Sure, you could hook up some co-ax to the exterior and "receive" some analog signals, but you'd honestly get better reception using just the wire you had attached alone. And also remember that WiFi requires a conversation between the modems at both ends; you'd need to receive AND broadcast to that mythical mile-away starbucks. You'd be better off mounting a commercial long-distance microwave link dish to the roof, and even then you'd need a relay setup at the Starbucks as well.
>>
>>1197246
Keep in mind the container is rated for static loads at those multi-ton weights. Water moves and shifts and you being inside of the container can change the forces imparted on the structure quite a bit. Also, how do you intend to pressure test such a large structure (aside from immersing it fully as a test, which if it fails would be pretty disastrous). The acoustics in these are absolutely terrible so you'll need quite a bit of acoustic foam to make anything bearable. A square pressure vessel is not a very strong pressure vessel, and constant submersion is not going to help you make the structure last (Rust is not your friend).
>>
>>1197252
yeah, that was basically it, using a shipping container itself as an antenna

surely some type of easily available used large metal structures that can be used as a antenna. not looking for dishes as that's just reflecting the waves as I understand it with a fairly normal size antenna
>>
>>1197253
You realise that this was already posted further up, right?

>>1197324
The reason behind the Cantenna is that it picks up GHz EM, which happens to be a wavelength of around 12cm. The actual size of the soup can is what gives it its antenna properties, not it's solid mass of metal.
>>
>>1197389
ahh then I really misunderstood how antennas work

does make me wonder what transmissions I would be able to pick up with a shipping container though

might look it up later, thanks for the answers lad
>>
>>1197463
Maybe LF? Really theres not a whole lot that you could do that would be specifically benefit by using the container as opposed to any old piece of metal. Transmissions in the larger wavelengths usually require a very sensitive and tuned receiver (which a rusty, old, huge shipping container is not). It would be prime ground-reference for a larger antenna array however!
>>
>>1196451
why must you put it under water? can you not add air pressure on the ground to get the same effect?
>>
>>1197175
lel
>>
>>1196464

Your post indicates you studied nothing and want spoonfeeding for an amazingly retarded project like the vast majority of shipping container posts in /diy/ by people who can't be arsed to do their fucking homework. That's not innocent curiosity, it's just laziness and stupidity.

That said, everyone who wants to use shipping containers as submarines and other underwater habitat should do so. The Kriegsmarine survivors of WWII are the real inventors of shipping containers which they and their descendants use as construction modules in their Antarctic undersea base. No leaks since 1944 and it spans an area approximately the size of Rhode Island. The reason only a few lampshades were found by the Allies is skin harvesting for Albert Speer's self-renewing shipping container door gasket project. Sufficient stock was packed into the torpedo tubes of U-420 which escaped minutes before Doenitz gave the order to surrender in 1945.

Container octopod deep sea harvesters supply the base with a wide variety of marine life which is processed into imitation crab meat. That contains sufficient nutrients and brotein to nourish the under-ice superrace of Aryan Chads being bred for the upcoming battles of the Apocalypse. Excess is sold worldwide through various front companies. Shipments are conveniently concealed by floating loaded shipping containers to the surface where they are picked up by container submarine-mounted gantry cranes then loaded onto normie container ships. Other methods of container transport were experimented with like the container gun. The container gun was a Gerald Bull design where the barrel was made of containers siliconed together at the ends. It fired smaller containers which reached low earth orbit but was too inaccurate for practical use.
>>
>>1196451
Just imagine them as the person you hate the most
>>
I wonder how hard it'd be to recreate something like this in a shipping container
>>
>>1198822
Everyone who wants to bury a container should do so! Follow your dreams and ignore the haters. Your initiative will be rewarded with success!

Numerous containers survived direct hits from 30mm A-10 "Warthog" cannon during the Iraq war. The springy corrugations dissipate energy and the projos bounce off. The immortal Corten steel shells last centuries even without paint, which is only decorative. The US Navy has a fleet of containers at the bottom of the Marianas trench where they dock submarines made from containers for underwater replenishment. Hawaii successfully used lava flow to encase containers to make attractive tourist lodges. Transatmospheric scramjet powered containers have been developed into launch platforms for smaller containers to be used in the post-Brexit EU space containerstation. North Korea replaced their old dug shelters under mountains with containers painted like mountains. (The insides are painted with cute anime characters to boost morale.) Elon Musk prototyped an electric container to replace the Tesla since the container is more aesthetically appealing than the car and has a lot more battery room. The mayor of Detroit has decided to replace his decaying city with containers. The old buildings will be demolished and the rubble hauled off in other containers, loaded onto rafts made of containers, and shipped to China via the St. Lawrence seaway where it will be ground up and the metal residue used to make more containers. US Navy SEALS stealthily infiltrate enemy ports using containers cunningly disguised as containers. Israel is solving the Palestinian problem by storing them in containers. (Germany tried to solve the Jewish problem using wooden freight cars, but the container hadn't been invented yet.) Donald Trumps border wall will be easily affordable if built from containers. Any Beaners who slip in by other routes can be detained in containers then trucked to Beanland where containers will be donated as housing.
>>
>>1198822

What is this meme autistic gamer shit?
>>
>>1196464
Everyone who wants to use a container as a submarine should do so. The US Navy uses a network of shipping containers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench for their deep drilling operations because the shape is convenient and they have no crush depth as opposed to conventional submarines, which nowadays are just shipping containers in the equivalent of a long sound dampening shipping tube with a propeller on one end. Containers are made of the magnificent Corten steel alloy which is impervious to entropy, heat and cold. If Titanic had been made of Corten the iceberg would have lost.Their nifty latches and door gaskets make containers ideal for air locks which is why they are used by deep sea divers working on oil rigs and recovering lost aircraft and shipwrecks. Containers are available in many sizes and custom containers are available, so you can have containers in containers in containers like a matryoshka egg. This option for multiple sealed chambers permits military container undersea basing to withstand nuclear detonations as close to six inches from the outermost wall. The paint used on containers is radiation-proof so an undamaged coat can completely attenuate the emissions of a 25MT blast. Had Fukushima been built of containers there would have been no radiation leakage even with total cooling system failure. The external corrugations on containers dampen surface waves so well a floating container barrier is being constructed around Japan to end the tsunami problem. Containers are versatile. One 20' standard height container can hold an infinite quantity of waifus.
>>
we need to start sexualising shipping containers
im getting a bonner already
>>
>>1197175
>Cut floor off of shipping container
>Bolt to top of other container
>Bury
>Weight goes on frame
?
>>
Imagine them full of dead smuggled chines immigrants. That should cure you of your ills.
>>
>>1198822
You will be wanting concrete for that. Simple plans, leftovers from the cold war Civil Defense days, are your go-to there. Just do a bit of searching.
>>
>>1199256
Use a flatrack container for your roof instead, but unless you live in desert enjoy corrosion problems.
>>
>>1198834
bulllllshit.
>>
>>1199714
This - shipping containers are good for shipping cargo, not construction.
Concrete is not even very expensive so I don't see the point in trying to use shipping containers as an alternative to it.
>>
>>1198822
How is this any different to your existing basement?
>>
>>1200912
His mother isn't there.
>>
>>1201220
kekd thanks anon
>>
File: SCtheHdiyBaws.png (77KB, 1252x719px) Image search: [Google]
SCtheHdiyBaws.png
77KB, 1252x719px
>>
File: 654654654.jpg (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
654654654.jpg
178KB, 1920x1080px
>>1196464
>They'd honestly be perfect. They're not aerodynamic but I only need it to be stationary once it's under water.

This is an even better idea then burying a shipping container...
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.