[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its getting hot, REAL HOT I was wondering if I could create power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
Its getting hot, REAL HOT I was wondering if I could create power from this hear ie solar panels or some geothermal generator thing I have no idea what im talking about just wondering if it is doable and how you would do it
Feel free to point out my autism and cause me to have a panic attack because of something someone said online
>>
>Feel free to point out my autism and cause me to have a panic attack because of something someone said online

without that sperg attack the backlash would be nowhere near as bad as you assume it will be kek
>>
>>1196385
You cannot do anything with heat energy (or any type of energy for that matter) unless its "useful energy" I.E. energy with a nearby area of lower energy density. Energy cannot be created of destroyed but the flow of energy can be harvested to do work. If you had a very cold box you could use something like a sterling engine to extract energy from the abient temperature. However, this causes the box to warm up over time and gradually decreases the efficiency of your sterling engine until the internal and external temperatures are in equilibrium. Then the sterling engine stops. The problem is: due to efficiency, and entropy, it will always require more energy to cool the box than you could ever hope to extract from it.
>>
>>1196392
tl;dr:
No, its not possible OP.
>>
>>1196392
Actually your idea is good enough to work, making use of the simple temperature diference between say earth and air temperature, you substitute the cold room for a buried space say 2 meters to avoid sun interference as much as possible, and it could work with a material with good enough termal capacity on the other side.
It wont be really efficient, but it's posible.
>>
>>1196385
Air molecules move around when its hot, so you should make a very small door, the size of a molecule, that only opens one way. Put it on the end of a balloon, and eventually it will trick a lot of air into going into the balloon. When the balloon is full, use it to power your air tools.
>>
>>1196385
You can harvest the heat, but getting actual usable energy from it isn't easy. Use it to preserve vegetables and meats, and use it for making salt.
Solar panels also exist. And so does rain catchers, and wind turbines.
>>
You can't perform work with just heat, you need an energy gradient. However, provided you have a place to sink the heat, you can use things like a Stirling engine to extract energy from a thermal differential.

However, you inevitably will heat up whatever you are sinking heat into.You could potentially rely on a day/night cycle and sink heat into a thermal reservoir over the day, generating energy then dissipate it into the atmosphere at night, also generating energy. However, this will not generate all the much energy, and is dependent on the day/night temps being adequately different (might work in a desert or other highly arid climate).
>>
>>1196500
Knowing when to open that door takes energy.
>>
>>1196542

That's why you have to get a trained demon.
>>
You can only use it if there is some source of alternate temperature to go with it.
>>
>>1196385
Put Peltier modules on the back of a solar panel. Put heat sinks on the backs of those Peltier modules. Hook the Peltier modules up in series-parallel to reach whatever voltage and amps your system requires which does not exceed the operational limits of the Peltier modules. You can create a seal box around those heat exchangers and pump water or an anti-freeze mixture (for winter climates) through it to help carry the heat away. The straight water system doesn't need a secondary heat exchanger, but the anti-freeze system will; in order to use the heat for heating potable water or showers.

This is a hybrid solar system. The solar panels make electric in the standard way. The Peltier modules get heated up on the solar panel side and cooled on the heat sink side with the water/anti-freeze mixture. The Peltier modules then create electricity. The waste heat, from this operation, contained in the water/anti-freeze mixture can then be used for domestic heating and hot water uses.

Peltier modules are pretty cheap and pretty neat for DIY projects. They are ridiculously inefficient for power generation, but work well enough. The greater the temperature differences on each side (cold side and hot side) the more energy they create. If you give them electric then they will create heat on one side and cool the other side. You can make a heater or cooler using these.

List of some projects I made with a bunch of Peltier modules:

•Hybrid Solar electric water heater as described above.
•Camp stove electric generator similar to the "BioLite" stove.
•Active personal cooling backpack. The Peltier modules lay against my bare skin on my back and weakly power some tiny PC fans attached to the Peltier modules' heatsinks. (this worked really well, but is cumbersome to wear of course. A wet t-shirt is far more efficient at cooling.)
•Dehumidifier using electric made from an old exercise bike (terrifically inefficient! but worked in this 95% humidity summer heat.)
>>
>>1196607
...continued.

•Mini-fridge.
•Mini-freezer.
•Low-temp water heater.
•Water fountain cooler. (worked much better than expected really, but hard to clean the heatsink on the cooling side sometimes due to mineral buildup; use vinegar.)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
>>
look up geothermal heating/cooling, basically takes the heat from the sun/ground/water tubes, exchanges it with the buried cool/still frozen water and bam, heating during the night, cooling during the day.

Large volumes of water in insulated tanks are often used to store/transport large volumes of heat and turn it into steam/power. Thats how old fashioned solar concentrator generators work. Focus ALOT of mirrors onto a single point or tube, hook up hight temp water dynamo pump to said tube, steam into power, run steam either into the atmosphere/use it, or run it along a long/buried line til it cools and recollect it to use again. Get old satelite dishes, the big 10', paint the interiors of them with high temp mirrored paint, replace the transmitter/receiver with a glass tube that runs to your water pump and generator/steam engine. Now you have a solar generator for potentially less than $100 dollars. Put the dish on a solar tracker array, repeat, link them together and use them to either power a death ray, or turn them into their OWN death ray.
>>
>>1196385
>I was wondering if I could create power from this hear
Physicist reporting in.

Yes, you can exploit the heat but probably not in the way you hope.

First off what you need is not so much the heat as a temperature difference. You can use the heat to transfer heat to huge accumulators, say 1000 litre tanks with water. And then use the solar panels to dump heat at night.

Then place a Stirling engine between the accumulators and the circuit to exploit the difference.
Daytime: panels and circuit is the hot side and the accumulators are the cold side.
Nighttime: panels and circuit is the cold side and the accumulators are the hot side.

Trouble is the efficiency is low (look up Carnot cycle). It will work though.

You can also use rocks as the accumulator and use seasonal changes rather than day/night cycles. That will give you a rather hot rock to use for house heating in the winter. You can easily get close to 100 degrees in the accumulator.
>>
>>1196607
>peltier modules on a solar panel
This might be using the waste heat, but is it actually money efficient? Peltier modules are expensive, way more so than solar panels per square meter, and they don't put out all that much power. Would probably be more efficient to directly cool the solars with water, then collect the water and pump the heat to create steam and run a steam engine. But if you're gonna do all that, might as well just leave the solars out of the equation and run water heaters.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.