[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm looking at picking up a used metal lathe. I'm mostly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

I'm looking at picking up a used metal lathe. I'm mostly looking to do small parts. I don't want something so tiny that its a toy, but by the same token I don't want a 12 foot turret lathe. I've been watching craigslist for a while but I really have very little idea about what I'm looking at.

Is a new import a better buy than a clapped out model from craigslist? What brands should I be keeping an eye out for?

What kind of inspection should I do before purchasing a used lathe? I know I need to look at the ways, listen to bearings, and look at the lead screw and half nut, but I don't really know exactly what I'm looking for (except for bearing noise) or if there's anything else I need to inspect.

Any advice for a novice?
>>
>>1196022
Find Mrpete222, also known as Tubalcain, on YouTube. He has videos specifically addressing what you're asking. He's talking about buying used lathes if it matters, but you'll probably find a better used one than a current production one, for less money.
>>
>>1196022 There are a lot of different things to consider when buying a lathe.

1) What size diameter are the part's you plan on making.

2)What type of metal do you intend to use Brass, Aluminium, Steel or something else.

3)What types of machining do you intend on doing.

If you are just looking for something that will be able to do most things what you want is something like a 6ft bed 6" 3 jaw chuck student lathe (if you can pick up a Colchester Student that would be ideal).

When you inspect the lathe go in the headstock and check the wear and feel of all the gears in every speed, ask how much backlash there is on the handles, check if the threading gears work also make sure the automatic cross-feeds are both working ( x + z) ensure that the Emergency stops all work, see if the coolant pump works too that's always nice.

If you can get some free stuff thrown in that would be great, ideally you want both a 3 and 4 jaw chuck.
>>
>>1196731
1. I don't see myself going much larger than a couple inches in anything but plastics.

2. Probably all of the above at some point plus plastics and small diameter titanium. I was under the impression that it was more the tooling and speed/feed that affected performance in different materials, is there more to consider?

3. Threading is very important to the projects that I'd like to do so power feed is a must.
>>
>I don't want something so tiny that its a toy, but by the same token I don't want a 12 foot turret lathe.

Atlas/Craftsman made a line of small lathes that might work for you, they come up often on craigslist and are usually not too expensive.

>>1196733
>3. Threading is very important to the projects that I'd like to do so power feed is a must.

Then you'll have to find one with a complete set of change gears, which is rare, or a quick-change gearbox which are usually found on larger models.
>>
>>1196733
1) 6" chuck should work well you can always grip internally if the need arises.

2)Torque output of the spindle drive unit

>>1196734
>>1196733
3)Most student lathes tend to be equipped with a reasonably good thread cutting systems that use the Feed screw or Lead screw (if you have one)
Failing that there is nothing wrong with using a Dye and Tail stock dye holder.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.