[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would something like this be possible/feasible? Basically I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: garden.png (63KB, 666x600px) Image search: [Google]
garden.png
63KB, 666x600px
Would something like this be possible/feasible?

Basically I want a raised bed garden in my back yard, but theres no water source. The beds would be 1x4 feet of winter vegetables so the water needs would be really low. I don't know anything about plumbing or irrigation but I came up with this idea of having a valved hose that would siphon water out of a giant jug which would run to an irrigation system that would water the beds. I figure I could just fill the bucket once a week or every other week and itd be enough since the beds are so small + i could mulch them.

I have an arduino laying around so I thought I'd automate that part for fun if I could figure out how to make it actually work.
>>
>>1194886
>over 9k hours in MSPaint

Why do you need a siphon when the tank is above the planters?
>>
>>1194888
lol you're right. Just to overcomplicate it I guess
>>
File: untitled12.png (235KB, 560x369px) Image search: [Google]
untitled12.png
235KB, 560x369px
>>1194886
Yes, but you only need a container of water and a cotton wick (rope). Just put the wick through piping when it is above ground. You can use lots of wicks to various locations, directly to the plant base.

There's also a system called "Ollas Irrigation". It uses a terracotta pot, buried in the ground near the plants. You just fill it up as needed.
>>
>>1194894
Thats really interesting. So the wick/rope is acting as the siphon?
>>
>>1194903
The wick is acting as a wick.

Wick is about surface tension and adherence. Siphons are about cavitation pressures and the speed of sound in water and momentum
>>
>>1194886
First off, where are you?

The water needs of winter veggies are very low. Heavy mulching and natural rainfall should take care of it in most areas
>>
>>1194886
Depends on how much money you have to play with. But I'd use a drip irrigation system and a valve at the bottom of the tank.
You could zone it with 12V irrigation valves. But you must have a filter on the feed as junk in the water will bugger up the drip holes.
You could run a small line to the bed rather than messing with a barrel.
>>
If you're going to fill the bucket every so often why not just water them?
>>
>>1194903
The wick is bringing the water to the plants, not the other way around mate
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.