[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ i have this old axehead and a nice plank of maple.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: 20170613_172859.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170613_172859.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Hey /diy/ i have this old axehead and a nice plank of maple. I plan on making it into a handle, but i want some suggestions about the axehead. I want to keep the curvature of the handle because i like the way it looks (will refine shape when i actually cut it) but i dont feel like a double headed axe lends itsself to a curved handle. Im thinking about cutting the axehead to the sharpie lines i marked. Maybe even cut the second side into a spike. So what do you think, leave it or reshape it? Or any other cool ideas? I work at a machine shop ao the sky is the limit. And no i dont plan on using it for chopping trees anytime soon. I dont have that kind of land
>>
Don't overdo it. A slinky-shaped handle is only good for one head of the axe while the other suffers
>>
>>1193072
>double head axe
>that handle
i suggest you off yourself
>>
File: IMG_20170504_165208.jpg (101KB, 684x788px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170504_165208.jpg
101KB, 684x788px
>>1193103
Thats why i noted in my post that im also thinking about cutting one side off, friend
>>
A) Make sure the grain on that maple is damned straight, or you're going to end up a shin short one day.

B) Scrap that doodle. A double axe is _meant_ to be used the exact same way with one side as it is with the other. In fact, logger protip: one of the edges is kept razor sharp, while the other side is your general workhorse side, and you cut a notch or nub off the butt end of the handle to identify which is which.

Here, fuckface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUZ_Bdas7t8
>>
>>1193116
Why not just make a proper handle for it instead?
>>
>>1193118
Pretty legit video man, thanks

>>1193119
That is one of the reasons i came here, if it was a stupid idea you guys would tell me. Id only keep the curved handle if i went with the double axe and didnt cut one edge off.
>>
>>1193072
There is a reason every axe/sledge/mattock/hatchet/hammer ever made since Christ was a carpenter was hickory. Use hickory. You will get tired quicker with maple. It will rattle your arms and when it cracks, it is breaking into pieces like right now. No warning so best to work alone.
>>
File: hawk.jpg (300KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hawk.jpg
300KB, 1024x768px
>>1194900
That piece of maple is showing some curl to it. Would make a great tomahawk if it's truly curly maple.
>>
File: HPIM1099.jpg (613KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
HPIM1099.jpg
613KB, 2048x1536px
>>1194910
Spend the 20 bucks and get a proper double axe handle on Amazon and fit the head to it. That's a skill all on it's own - doing that correctly. Save the maple for something fancier.
Pic related, if you don't know what these are don't start any of what I just said.
>>
File: IMG_2942.jpg (28KB, 590x199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2942.jpg
28KB, 590x199px
Curved handles don't belong on a double bitted axe, just search up the dimensions of the gransfors bruks one and try to copy that.
>>
Curved handles aren't suited for anything except firewood.
A straight handle is superior, even for a single bit axe.

If the choice is between ruining that axe by cutting it up, or mounting it on a curved haft then I suggest you do neither.
Do it the way it's supposed to be done and appreciate it for what it is.
>>
>>1194917
Also what this guy said, hickory is the best wood to use.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.