[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I made my own wine from Welch's grape juice. I'd say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1.png (422KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
422KB, 853x480px
I made my own wine from Welch's grape juice. I'd say it's around 13-15% alcohol. Literally all you need is a jug and a bung/airlock ($12 on Amazon), juice, sugar, and yeast. It's really cheap compared to store-bought wine. It only took 4 days to ferment, I put it in the fridge to kill the yeast so they sink to the bottom, and it becomes clear.

I was a little worried it would form methanol, but I found out the cure for methanol poisoning is ethanol. I'm kinda afraid to drink a lot of the wine though. How can I test it for methanol?

If you go to the hospital with methanol poisoning they just get you drunk on normal alcohol and that cures you. How does that work?
>>
>4 days
>13-15 ABV
Did you take any hydrometer readings to confirm that or did you use some disgusting hangover fuel distillers yeast.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (270KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
270KB, 1500x1500px
>>1192495
I used 1 packet of this in a 1 gallon jug of juice + 2 cups of sugar.

It was fermenting like it was mad, airlock was bubbling once every 1.5 sec. I didn't use a hydrometer to check I'm just going by taste.

The bubbling pretty much slowed to a halt after 4 days, so I assume it either ran out of sugar to eat, or it just decided to quit. The yeast supposedly has alcohol tolerance of 18% though.
>>
>>1192495
Also I took the bung/airlock out and poured out small amounts multiple times during active fermentation.

That might have fucked it up a bit.
>>
>>1192499
>>1192502
I don't think your yeast would be finished fermenting after four days. Taste it, is it sweet? If so your yeast was not finished fermenting. I'd expect a low ABV beer to finish primary fermentation around 3-5 days and stronger beers to take up to a couple weeks. You probably have a stuck fermentation. Did you oxygenate the wort thoroughly before pitching? How much sugar did you add? Have you now bottled the wine? If so I'd recommend shifting it back into the fermenting bucket or else you might have some bottle bombs on your hands.
>>
>>1192507
>Have you now bottled the wine?

I don't have the equipment for that. It's just sitting in the fridge in the same jug with the airlock, partially because I'm afraid of it exploding.

I freezed a cup of it and then un-thawed it, all the yeast and sediment sunk to the bottom, and I poured out the top which was clear.

It looked kind of like store-bought white wine, pretty clear, it tasted better than I expected, but still a bit nasty. The buzz I got from it felt a little weird.

Maybe it is only like 8% alcohol, but that's the lowest I would guess, it's definitely alcoholic, but I'm not _really_ sure on the percentage.

>How much sugar did you add?
>Taste it, is it sweet?

Like I said it was a gallon of grape juice + 2 cups of sugar, the wine itself doesn't taste very sweet, I'm not sure if it's completely "dry" though, maybe I needed more sugar?
>>
>>1192515
a cup is not a suitable unit of measurement for a dry powder
>>
>>1192515
also, buy a hydrometer. They're maybe $15 for a cheap starter one. Right now you are literally just guessing.
>>
>>1192520
I'm from America and cup is a legit unit of measurement.

You probably use "stones" as a unit of measurement.
>>
>>1192526
>fill a cup with flour
>okay I guess that's a cup of flour
>bang it on a table top
>you can now fit much more in the cup
Your unit of measurement is bad, your wine will be bad and you should feel bad.
Grams,degrees Celsius, litres and density relative to water. That's all you need to know measurement wise to make good alcoholic drinks. You know none of these things and now you have made a bad alcoholic drink.
>>
>>1192534
>Put 12 ounces of milk in a pressurized tank
>Ok I guess that's 12 ounces of milk in a pressurized tank
>Slam tank on table
>Now you have a broken pressurized tank and a mess
>>
>>1192534
Because I don't want to be a nerd about it. I just wanted to see how cheaply I could produce alcohol at home.

People have been fermenting rotten grapes into alcohol for thousands of years, they didn't know any of that stuff.

I was impressed how it came out, it resembles normal white wine it just has an off flavor, it's still bad but I was expecting prison hooch.
>>
>>1192544
Alright. If you take the wine out of the fridge and leave it alone for a few more months that off taste will probably disappear. It might even be nice and drinkable by the end of the year. fermenting wine is not a fast process, that's why I was doubtful of your claim of 15% at four days. Give the yeast time and it will slowly clean up those off flavours and probably ferment out the rest of the sugar.
>>
>>1192544
>I just wanted to see how cheaply I could produce alcohol at home.

Dude, just buy rubbing alcohol and mix it with your grape juice if that's your game.
>>
Interestingly there seem to be some pros overkilling and some idiots missing the point..

>How can I test it for methanol?

You dont need to. just fermenting yeast cannot produce enough methanol to be dangerous. If you start to distill it then beware.

>If you go to the hospital with methanol poisoning they just get you drunk on normal alcohol and that cures you. How does that work?

The more alcohol in your blood, the less room there is for methanol. I dont remember if it affected the brains, the liver, or just bloodstream.

I also try to check the amount of alcohol in your wine:
1 Gallon = 3,78 liters
2 Cups sugar = 400g
Juice.. maybe 8 grams of sugar per liter= around 300g sugar?
->700g sugar in 3,78l..
I would say that it's max 12%
Its possible that the yeast managed to eat all the sugar in 4 days. the bag can be used to make double the amount you did and it pretty strong yeast. In the future, if you want to test if the yeast has eaten all sugar, just add a teaspoon of sugar more, and you will see in the yeast is alive.
Also, the yeast doesn't "die" in the fridge, it just goes to a sleepstate. and it is good idea to pour the clear liquid in another jug and let it age some time in room temperature, it should make the taste better.
>>
>>1192645
DON'T do this guys, even 2-3 shots of isopropyl will fuck your world up, and not like ethyl alcohol. It's brutal stuff, look up "isopropyl alcohol poisoning"
>>
>>1192526
Get yourself a $10 kitchen scale and some Eneloop AAAs while you're at it. Makes baking and stuff way easier.

>>1192520
>>1192534
The worst is when people use cups for fruits and vegetables. WTF is a cup of greens? Or a cup of strawberries? One or two large strawberries fit in the cup, but it's not even half full.

I weigh out 400-500 grams of greens and eat that much.
>>
>>1192502
Don't do that. Generally the worst that will happen is a little contamination of wild yeasts which give some minor off flavors but it could also lead to ruining a whole batch.

Always keep everything absolutely as sanitary as possible. You have to be autistic about cleanliness when you're getting your fermentation going. As long as everything that comes in contact with your juice is clean and you use good yeast and have roughly the right temp you should get good results and not have to worry about methanol.
>>
I have similar questions to OP, except I used rice and some old "probiotic culture" shit I found in my medicine cabinet

Basically, will I die? How can I test it for ABV or methanol or anything else?

I tried a few shots of it way back and didn't die but it had a pretty foul aftertaste (though the initial hit was *okay* for what is essentially chink pruno) so I am scared to drink the rest of it or to drink more than a tiny amount at a time.
>>
>>1192534
Surely euros know that the cup is an exact measurement, and not literally using just a cup lying around?
>>
>>1192933
Considering that was probably lactobacillus bacteria and not yeast (a fungus) I wouldn't drink it
>>
>>1192941
im not even >>1192534 but
>fill a cup with flour
>okay I guess that's a cup of flour
>bang it on a table top
>you can now fit much more in the cup
illustrates exactly why cups are a dumb measurement for solids

you should use grams and a scale

volume is *ok* for stuff like baking where it doesnt really matter all that much but even then even in cooking it's vastly better to weigh your ingredients rather than guess volume based on cups/tablespoons/whatever
>>
>>1192945
We're American tho, we use ounces and pounds
>>
>>1192947
then measure your dry goods in ounces/pounds, jeez
>>
>>1192488

Just use a balloon instead of an air lock. Let it sit until the balloon deflates then siphon it off and bottle.

Also no way in hell you made 14% wine in four days, especially if you kept adding more oxygen.

It isn't great wine, but if you distil it it makes a pretty good brandy assuming you have the barrels to age them.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.