[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a somewhat decorative way to attach a bottom to my dovetail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20170604_201020.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170604_201020.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I need a somewhat decorative way to attach a bottom to my dovetail box. All the images I've seen are using 1/8th inch material into a dado on the inside of the box. I don't have any material that thin, and would like something that you could see from the outside anyway.

Would just using a router and getting out a rabbet on all 4 sides look ok? I've got 3/4 inch material so it would probably be routed down to 1/2 - 3/8 inch thick material sticking out from underneath. Would that look odd with everything else being a consistent thickness of 3/4?

I haven't sanded down the pins in the pic before people say they look like shit. Also, it's my first attempt at dovetails so I don't think it's too bad.
>>
File: 20170611_191134.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_191134.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1192383
And here's the top, my first attempt at inlay as well. Probably a little over half way done. Got the knee, butt, and head to go in this evening. Legs, beak, eye, and stick are all that's lest after that.
>>
You're making this more complicated then my brain can handle, just router then chisel the corners then glue and tac the bottom.
>>
A dado can be 1/2" deep if you want. Alternately you could cut a dado on the bottom piece to fit the interior dimension of the box, leaving the total dimensions of bottom piece same as outside dimensions of box. You would have a 1/4" visible on the bottom that way.
>>
File: DSCF8207.jpg (88KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF8207.jpg
88KB, 640x427px
>>1192386
We might be saying the same thing. thinking of pic related, but on all 4 sides of the bottom so the sides would fit down onto it.

Would it look odd with the differing thicknesses on the outside?
>>
>>1192391
Do you think the thickness difference would look off though? Everything is 3/4" and the bottom is a half or less (visually from the outside).
>>
>>1192395
No you router the box, take that picture and flip it 90 degrees. The dark side is the bottom.
>>
>>1192412
Would routeing out the inside of my pins make them weak?

I kind of want something on the bottom, sort of a visual base it's setting on.
>>
>>1192415
No, the space is being filled, also you can just do a shorter depth with the router. This isn't difficult, I'm fucking amazed how someone can do this >>1192385 but not know how to put the bottom on a box.
>>
>>1192424
I absolutely started without a plan in mind. I just knew I wanted to go with dovetails and an inlay and I got to work. I never even thought once about the bottom. I just know I would like something of the bottom visible, and I would rather not cover up the bottom pin. Thanks for the plan though. I'll give it a go tonight.
>>
for that material size just nailing and gluing on a 1/4" bottom would be fine. people waaaay underestimate the strength of butt joints. It looks like a jewelry box not hundreds of pounds of shit in there. Matthias Wandel did a test just gluing on drawer bottoms and they held like 300 lbs..
>>
>>1192424
If you are worried about weakening the material, and just want a visual, you can put a rabbet on both.
so rout a rabbet along the bottom so the bottom has a tongue 1/8" thick and maybe 1/2" wide, and then rout a 1/8" deep and 1/2" wide rabbet on all four sides of the box. square up the edges of the rabbet with a chisel.
glue in. you really wont be able to tell, except possibly a tiny seam along the bottom of the box.
you can also do a "floating" box, basically leave 1/8-1/4" of the bottom piece sticking out of the bottom, so that it looks like the edges of the box are floating slightly above the table.

if you want it SUPER overbuilt, you can also drill and glue in dowels along the sides to pin the bottom in place. Could be a very interesting inlay if you go with a contrasting wood.
>>
>>1192395
just do this OP, exactly as it appears

don't remove any more material from the side walls since you have those thin dovetail pins
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.