[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys, do you have any tips or experiences with spud guns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

File: spudgun-tfb.jpg (29KB, 900x266px) Image search: [Google]
spudgun-tfb.jpg
29KB, 900x266px
Hi guys, do you have any tips or experiences with spud guns? I want to build one this week
>pic related
>>
>>1191468
Yea ive built a few as a teenager, had a few explode apart so be careful. Didnt really hurt me bit was scary lol. Anyway, you are gonna want a really good ignition system as sometimes the hair spray is hard to ignite if you put you put too much in and there isnt enough oxygen. A grill ignitor works but is not the best. A sparkler put through a hole works well, get creative. You are gonna want your barrel smaller than the potato, and basically smash the potato down to be airtight otherwise it wont shoot. Put an on off valve in the back for spraying the hairspray into. Dont get caught by the cops in the city.
>>
File: 1443049669792.jpg (236KB, 851x1517px) Image search: [Google]
1443049669792.jpg
236KB, 851x1517px
>>1191468
Here ya go, anon. Pay it forward.
>>
>>1191468
buy some glow sticks and a roll of duck tape, hook two glow sticks at the end and wrap with duck tape in the middle until you have a ball the same diameter as the spud gun barrel, shoot at night and watch the pretty colors. can usually be collected and reused until the glow sticks die.
>>
>>1191544
That actually sounds kind of cool!
>>
Just don't try to get clever and build a breach loading design or something.

If it's muzzle loaded you're fine, otherwise it's a serious federal crime.
>>
>>1191468
soak ethanol in cellulose
>>
>>1191544
I'm going to do that as soon as I have it, thanks for the idea
>>
>>1191580
I don't live in the states so I guess that my dog is safe
>>
You get a lot more preformance with burst disks. A 200 psi burst disk lets you add fuel then compressed air to +/- 180 psi before combustion. You can make disks from tinfoil, paper or plastic.

Check the net for rifled abs pipe.

Breech loading is only illegal if the projectile contains propellent and primer in a single cartridge.

Wrap everything in fiber tape.
>>
Op

At home Depot/Lowe's you'll see two nearly identical looking PVC pipe types

The ones that say "not for pressure" printed on the sides should not be used
>>
File: aqua net hair spray.jpg (28KB, 421x577px) Image search: [Google]
aqua net hair spray.jpg
28KB, 421x577px
>>1191468
>Hi guys, do you have any tips or experiences with spud guns?

Stick with hair spray, it gives the best bang for the buck.

Also, potatoes eventually develop microscopic cracks over time, so shoot from the hip and not over the shoulder like a bazooka, in the event it catastrophically detonates (as happened to a buddy of mine).

In addition, double the amount of potatoes and hair spray you'll think you need, because potato guns are a blast and you'll use them all up.

And you might want to consider putting a 45* taper around the outside diameter of the muzzle, to more easily ram the potato down the bore.
>>
File: the wrong way to shoot.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
the wrong way to shoot.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>1191698

That ought to be;

>Also, potato GUNS eventually develop microscopic cracks over time
>>
>>1191468
something about abs vs pvc but i can never remember which to NEVER EVER EVER USE because of the way it shatters
>>
I could but because the DOD realized I had a potential life threatening weapon I have had to leave the country
>>
>>1191717
PVC is more well known for shattering catastrophically. It turns into tiny blades.
That being said, it doesn't stop people from using PVC for all kinds of shit despite it exploding.
>>
>>1191468
hairspray is crap
don't use gas
use propane

grill ignitor is tops

crab apples = free ammo
>>
>>1191514
This but buy a cheao tazer for ignition. This striker, lantern strikers, and even $20 electric propane ignitors suck monstrous cock
>>
>>1191544
ABSOLUTELY GENIOUS ANON!
>>
>>1191544
Figgin dollar store look out
>>
>>1191698
Second this. Also 1 1/2" barrel for most taters. Make a threaded end for different barrels
>>
>>1191962
Turnips =free ammo
>>
Best fuel is starting fluid but change the aerosol tip with a mist one from hairspray.

A flint ignitor works well. Look for a camping one.
>>
>>1191468
Air is the way to go anon
https://www.spudtech.com/
If you want rifled pvc
>>
Thanks for the tips guys, I was thinking of making a 15cm barrel and to use a 30cm chamber. How powerful is it going to be? I want to fit it in the wooden part of my airgun
>>
>>1191514

As a teen I went to the hardware store and asked for:

2 ft of 4" pvc pipe
4 ft of 2" pvc pipe
2" to 4" coupler

They cut the pipe to fit, and then as I was walking to the register said "BBQ igniters are in aisle 3"

They knew what was up.
>>
>>1191468
> all fuels suck after the second shot
> you must employ a fan to get the oxygen in there
> Beware of exploding PVC. The Dr. will have to dig in your flesh to remove it. X-ray dont work well with plastic.
> put the sparker in from the back lid not from side wall. it will go bad eventually you'll need to repair / replace it.
> Snow works great in the winter
> Glue parts well.
>>
File: d1ad82ad648bb1efa9f3fbe37c2eaee9.jpg (117KB, 1692x1080px) Image search: [Google]
d1ad82ad648bb1efa9f3fbe37c2eaee9.jpg
117KB, 1692x1080px
How viable would it be to turn a splorch into a lubed up silicone egg firing cannon?
>>
>>1191580
Breech loading is legal as long as it's not a fixed cartridge
>>
>>1194458
very difficult. You could shoot silicone eggs VERY FAST from a potato gun
>>
File: Spigot Mortar Basic 2.jpg (42KB, 1043x563px) Image search: [Google]
Spigot Mortar Basic 2.jpg
42KB, 1043x563px
I built something like this, which runs on compressed air. It's designed to be like an old WW2 petard mortar. You can stick arrows made from 1-1/4" pipe on the outside of the barrel, with oversized fins and heads. Or you could put things in the barrel as normal.

Works a treat, but the recoil is significant, and I worry about it snapping at the bend in the air chamber, since obviously I can't brace it properly due to the intention being to stick the projectile around the barrel.
>>
File: Spigot Mortar Basic.jpg (50KB, 1345x458px) Image search: [Google]
Spigot Mortar Basic.jpg
50KB, 1345x458px
>>1194514
And here's the guts of it. I used the spring from one of those pop-up sprinklers to push the piston forward against the protruding barrel section.
>>
Metered propane is good
Pneumatic is better
Only beginners use actual potatoes
>>
>>1194487
But what is the point if the barrel isn't a dildo?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.