[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /diy/nosaurs. I've been thinking in applying my time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Hello /diy/nosaurs. I've been thinking in applying my time towards a electronics hobby but I would like to do it in the most DIY way. What's the most i can get from salvaged parts of daily objects(microwaves, old computers, old radios, all that jazz) so i can start it ? Please, I don't want to be just one more buyfag. If it helps, i already know about the basic stuff (resistors, capacitors, how to measure with multimeters, and even a thing or two about diodes and all.)
>>
>>1191388

The ceramic on a microwave magnitron is actually a psychedelic drug. You should grind some up and snort it.
>>
>>1191388
>i want diy
>what is the most taken from x y z

what the fuck are you doing son, you dont take apart shit for no reason, take apart what you need, not take apart what you want

unless u just want to take a peek and put it back, u can learn what is inside, also practice unscrewing stuff
>>
>>1191388
Most components are so cheap they're only worth salvaging from already-broken stuff you already have. Don't break shit other people could use or at least have a laugh at if it's thoroughly obsolete and useless.
>>
Make your own resistors out of pencils. If you're not making the components, you're just buying in a roundabout way. Save your time and buy them by the hundred.
>>
I get some of my cheap components at a surplus store. The last time I went, there was a non-obese young woman shopping for motors and bearings and shit. WTF????
>>
>>1191417
Unironically this, I do it about once a year, get the dosing right and you'll never have any life worries.
>>
There is a use for taking apart junk, but that's not to harvest.

Instead, take apart devices and machines which interest you that are junk, then dispose of them. That really does teach a tactile experience of how things work. Many years ago as a teen I was given old engines and car parts to take apart by my father. I used what I learned throughout my life and became an industrial maintenance mechanic then joined the Air Force, who also use old equipment for disassembly and reassembly training.

If it's junk anyway, see how it's put together. You can practice desoldering and soldering on scrap boards.

Don't keep the trash. Shitcan it without hoarding useless garbage. Keep the knowledge instead.
>>
File: 1327600944061.jpg (450KB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
1327600944061.jpg
450KB, 2736x3648px
>>1191388
The transformer from a microwave is deluxe DIY material.

Salvaging tons of stuff will build various skill and knowledge. You need to know what to salvage, how to salvage it without damaging it, how to test it, etc. You do save a bit of money on some of the higher end parts.

Don't listen to people who say "don't do it". They've no clue at all.
>>
>>1191628
Op here. Dude, you actually know that i can die of a high voltage capacitor just by slightly touching my elbow/screwdriver on it right ? I can't just go on opening up shit on blind mode
>>
>>1191674
Actually, you cross the cap with a pair of insulated pliers to short it out. However, there's usually a bleeder resistor on them that bleeds them out when the unit is turned off and/or unplugged. Microwaves are good examples of HV caps with bleeder resistors on them. Newer CRT TVs/Monitors usually have them too, but it is best to discharge stuff yourself to make sure.
>>
>>1191679
K den, but anyways, now I'm thinking : It would be good to have access to blueprints of electronics any shit. Do you know any place where I could get it ?
>>
>>1191821
Google their datasheets. Normally, you use those for repairing or figuring out how a circuit works. Sometimes you can't find anything or the datasheet sucks.
>>
>>1191674
Make yourself a shorting stick AKA chicken stick. It's a fun project and can avoid fucking shit up.

My most memorable lesson was at Keesler AFB when a ground radar instructor failed to bleed off power (turn off, lockout/tagout then apply the power switch to dump capacitor charge then use a shorting stick) and killed himself deader than a pickled herring. I was avionics so it wasn't my class but everyone on the base got the message.

BTW when working on computers, always press the power button after unplugging the power supply (and removing the battery on notebooks) to drain residual charge. Won't kill ya but if you short a trace or connection you can damage components.

Learn safety, apply safe work practices, and be confident instead of worried. All safety, all the time.
>>
>>1191844
>always press the power button after unplugging the power supply

I wouldn't do this. The only supply active when the computer is off is the +5V standby. Just leave it alone for a few minutes if you're paranoid.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.