[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>codless battery or >gasoline engine ? With the cordless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 13

File: H250-0064.jpg (188KB, 1470x700px) Image search: [Google]
H250-0064.jpg
188KB, 1470x700px
>codless battery
or
>gasoline engine
?

With the cordless version you just grab it and get to work.
You don't have to worry about having enough gas/oil, or going through a checklist to get it going.
The downside is battery life I guess.
But maybe there are drawbacks I'm not thinking of.
>>
>>1191115
>codless
*cordless
>>
Gasoline and corded for everything except a drill and impact driver.
>>
>>1191115
If you go dor battery powered just make sure its strong, my grandad had some weak weed eaters and trimmers that werent wortha shit
>>
>>1191117
Isn't battery a hell of a lot more convenient?

I have a shit ton of tall hedges, and I want the threshold to be as low as it can be.

>>1191118
I'm looking at Stihl, the battery alone costs 2-300.
>>
Batteries lose juice quickly if you're working hard.
If corded, use heavier gauge wire
>i.e. 16-gauge too thin, you'll need 14 or 12 gauge
>>
>>1191121
Corded is such a hassle though.
>>
>home owner just doing 15 mins of light work every two weeks

Cordless

>Professional using it for hours a day 5-6 days a week

Engine
>>
>>1191172
This. Know your needs.
>>
>>1191119
>Isn't battery a hell of a lot more convenient?
no because a gas tool will romp through those hedges while battery tool will "wrrrrrrr...wrrrrr." and take twice as long to cut the same amount of hedge. MOAR POWAH is always good when it comes to yardwork.
>>
>>1191172
>>home owner just doing 15 mins of light work every two weeks
>Cordless
Nope, corded.
Cordless weighs more, costs more, has less power, and you have replace the batteries periodically.
When you do replace them, you have to hope they still manufacture the same batteries, otherwise you'll need a whole new tool.

And for hedge trimmers in particular, if you're not using them much. consider old-fashioned manual hedge shears.
>>
>>1191119
>Isn't battery a hell of a lot more convenient?
>I have a shit ton of tall hedges, and I want the threshold to be as low as it can be.

In theory, yes.

In practice, you're stuck with either a weak, underpowered tool, a tool that drains its battery in 5 minutes, or a tool that's horrendously expensive.

Stick with gas for now.

That being said, I do have a very small battery-powered chainsaw. It has served me well. Of course, it only sees very limited and occasional use, which is exactly where the battery-powered versions shine. Doesn't matter how long it's been sitting in the garage, it's going to work without fuss when you finally do need it again.
>>
>>1191115
Gasoline. The cordless alternatives are a fortune in comparison.

>>1191117
It's not the 1990s anymore bud.

>>1191121
Not if you're using high capacity batteries with brushless tools.

>>1191172
Your logic is wrong on the basis you'll pay more for a cordless model than you would a cheap gasoline model.

When I say cordless are more expensive I mean the ones that are comparable to gas tools, not cheap shite that lasts 5 minutes.
>>
>>1191115
I like cod too much to go codless

Why do you have to do codless to use a battery?
>>
>>1191117
How's the 90s treating you?

Battery tech has greatly increased

I even have a cordless angle grinder I prefer for smaller jobs
>>
>>1191802
>Battery tech has greatly increased
for yard work it is still objectively garbage compared to gas tools.
>>
>>1191803
Not the case; just more expensive.
>>
>>1191803
Really? Because I'm not the one that keeps having to restart his mower, it's my gasoline using neighbor

And I've got 1.85 acres
>>
>>1191800

>Cheap gasoline model
>Professional use
>I am not talking about the cheapo cirdless

I am not talking about cheap anything. Us professionals tend to use the more expensive gas models.

I had a corded weed whacker, lawn mower and hedge trimmer at one point. It was fucking hell never again
>>
>>1191115
>>1191117

ITT: The second post is the best post.
>>
>>1191853
>Us professionals
>Us college drop-outs

I was giving OP advice on where he/she should put their money as homeowner; not trying to argue with a gardner.
>>
>>1191856

>College drop out

I have a degree. I just chose to run my own landscaping company and while i try focus on landscape architecture and implementation my clients beg me to pick up maintenance contracts with them sometimes it seals the deal.

Plus OP said he doesn't want corded so I don't know what YOUR degree is worth since you cannot read.

For the record one of my tool trailers I have a fleet of hand shears as well as a pair of gas shears
>>
>>1191866
>Plus OP said he doesn't want corded

>>1191115
>>codless battery
>or
>>gasoline engine
>?
>With the cordless version you just grab it and get to work.
>You don't have to worry about having enough gas/oil, or going through a checklist to get it going.
>The downside is battery life I guess.
>But maybe there are drawbacks I'm not thinking of.

>>1191866
>I don't know what YOUR degree is worth since you cannot read.

>>1191866
>my clients beg me to pick up maintenance contracts
>I have a degree

Sure thing buddy.
>>
>>1191871

>Sure thing buddy.

Heh. Showed you.
>>
>>1191115
Something to consider OP, I recently bought a higher end cordless string trimmer, being well aware that I could get a better gas machine for equivilant money. The thing that pushed me to the cordless is the fact that my wife will actually pick it up and use it without me standing there starting it for her. Women seem to be allergic to small 2 stroke engines.
>>
>>1191115
Air tools for stationary work. Gas for forestry. Hand tools for gardening.
>>
>>1192571

FACT!
>>
>>1191115
Fuck paying for gasoline, if you feel the electric has enough torque, use electric. If it's not, use guzzoline.
>>
>>1191117
this, also because once a battery dies in 8 years the tools will have changed so the battery wont be available anymore
>>
>>1192691
Have you ever bought cordless power tools or are you just presuming because someone told you something about tools from 20 years ago? Universal battery platform mounts have been standard from tool companies for the last 10/15 years. This won't change any time soon because of how much investment has gone into lithium.

You are also underestimating the power of lithium cells presumably because you don't own or ever use any.
>>
>>1192697
Bullshit. Take dewalt for example, they're just now coming out with this flexvolt bullshit which isn't backwards compatible. And just 2 years ago they came out with the "XR" battery which isn't backwards compatible with the previous "20v Max" battery.

Have you never heard of planned obsolescence??
>>
File: egraphic.png (604KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
egraphic.png
604KB, 600x581px
>>1192698
It is backwards compatible and it is cross platform.

XR tools are compatible with XR batteries. Are your purposefully spreading misinformation?

Only XRP batteries are no longer compatible with new tools and they're 10/15 years old - and DeWalt have released an adaptor to use new batteries with old tools.

If you choose to stay in the dark ages that's fine but don't just openly lie about what's available.
>>
>>1192571
I just want the threshold to be as low as possible.

I have a ton of hedges, and I don't want to have to deal with long start-up checklists and possible gasoline shortages.

I just want to grab and go.
>>
>>1192703

>I have a ton of hedges,

This is the gasolines strength.

>I have one 10 ft hedge

This is the gasolines weakness

>and I don't want to have to deal with long start-up checklists and possible gasoline shortages.

The start up checklist is literally

>Is there gas in it?
>Is it the correct gas?
>Alright let's start it

If you have the slightest /diy/ sense two stroke maintenance schedules are easier than knocking together pallet furniture. I have been given a beat to shit stihl fs120 and told "if you can get it running you can have it". Two clutch pads a primer bulb a couple screws and 15 mins on the carb and I had a couple hundred dollar machine making me money for less than $20.
>>
Milwaukee makes a new cordless hedge trimmer for $170 if you already have the battery and charger.
Their 9 amp hour 18v batteries kick ass, I bet it would work pretty well. The big upside is no exhaust gas blowing in your face as you work. Probably quieter too.
>>
>>1191115
Dont buy a corded lawnmower please
>>
Show me one cordless power tool which has had a battery available for over 50 years.
>>
>>1192836
My machinistbro has a bunch of 18v Milwaukee tools and loves them. We are both ancient aircraft tech and gearheads. I have an older 28V set which kicks ass but I wouldn't hesitate to buy 18v.
>>
>>1192850
>Implying anyone works for over 50 years.
>Implying daily use power tools last 50 years
>Implying cordless power tools have been around for 50 years

Wat
>>
>>1192850
just replace the cells in the frame.
>>
>>1192807
>>The start up checklist is literally
>>Is there gas in it?
>>Is it the correct gas?
>>Alright let's start it

Well I bought a Ryobi gasoline trimmer two summers ago, and it required an entire checklist to get it going:
>push the little plastic bulb 5 times
>setting 1
>pull cord three times
>let sit for 10 mins
>setting 2
>pull cord 1 time
>etc.
>>
>>1192900

That's not a checklist. That's a procedure and you read it wrong. The 5-10 mins wait time is if you flood it like a dingbat.

I get my chainsaw, 2 weed whackers, leaf blower, lawnmower and wood chipper all going in less than 15 seconds each and one of the whackers is that same FS120 shitheap
>>
>>1192907
According to the manual, this CHECKLIST was for starting it up for the first time or after going unused for an extended time.
>>
I'm a homeowner with a swamp for a backyard & big lawn out front, bunch of old trees and some landscaping, plus two rental homes that I manage in between renters.

I've been switching over to all battery-powered tools. Mower, trimmer, and chainsaw, probably get a blower next. I've got 2 big batteries (5-6AH) and one small one (2AH).

The batteries are expensive and I've had one fail after 1.5 years, but the company replaced it for free. Mower is underpowered but if you keep on top of the grass it works fine. They're all quiet and literally zero maintenance.

For occasional use at a couple houses, the grab-and-go, always works, lightweight & quite operation outweighs a (probably) higher cost, for me anyway.
>>
Gas for long hard work or anything bigger than a small chainsaw
Batteries for almost everything else.
Cords have a very small set of circumstances where they're better than either of the other choices, 90% of the time you're better off having one big gas whatever and a small cordless one. Corded tools are kind of in a halfway point between the two, but the need for an outlet makes them non-viable or really inconvenient in a lot of situations so you're probably going to want something you can use without an outlet anyway. Its nice that you can get good power without the noise of an engine or the price of a high power battery version, but the usability makes up for it.
>>
>>1192701
>It is backwards compatible and it is cross platform. XR tools are compatible with XR batteries

Are you retarded? I can't plug an XR battery into my 20v max drill (which was made just before they came out with XR).

Therefore the XR battery is NOT backwards compatible. I seriously hope nobody listens to you.
>>
>>1191803
Wrong. I've used a battery-powered lawnmower and weedwhacker for years, and they're both spectacular.
>>
>>1192850
All of them, if you have half a brain. Just crack it open and replace the cells.
>>
>Tool+battery=$250

>24in
>3/4in cutting capacity

>40v
>2.4ah
>charges in 90min

sounds like this could rival many gas machines
of course it all depends on your needs
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 2000x1125px
>>1193182

You have to be more specific. Every cordless tool dewalt make is referred to as 20v max and on the XR platform.

They don't need to listen to me, just go and look at the dewalt catalogue. I know this and all my gear is makita.
>>
>>1193267
OK, here's an example: http://www.sears.com/dewalt-dcd771c2-20v-max-cordless-lithium-ion-1-2/p-00927452000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmv7JBRDXkMWW4_Tf8ZoBEiQA11B2fsC9-gaZh97piogXa6k8yqNIY-wATVvivqtMrx-lpVcaAl7d8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNuUwdnNvNQCFeq6swodpOAEJQ

This tool will NOT accept an XR battery. If you buy this thing now, or you bought it before the XR platform came out, you may soon be screwed as dewalt will stop making batteries for this.
>>
>>1193272

Oh no I understand. You should have been clear that you were using Big Box/DIY grade dewalt. This isnt the case with pro grade tools.

I have single 18v batteries that retail for more than that entire kit. You're not going to get the same level of treatment when you buy the cheapest shit they make.
>>
>>1193272
Just checked and DeWalt suggest this drill is compatible with XR batteries.

>http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/drills-and-hammer-drills/20v-max-lithium-ion-compact-drilldriver-kit/dcd771c2

Just out of curiosity, before you started arguing have you actually tried an XR or Flexvolt battery on it?
>>
File: HLA-65.jpg (31KB, 973x445px) Image search: [Google]
HLA-65.jpg
31KB, 973x445px
I'm looking at this bad boy: Stihl HLA 65 long reach.

The biggest battery you can buy for it has these specs:
>36v
>227 Wh
>6.0 Ah

Battery alone costs more than $ 250.

This look any good? I know nothing about these specs.
>>
>>1193310
Those batteries are a rip off.
>>
>>1193326
How so?
>>
electric if your a girl
>>
>>1191115
I hope this thread answered your question.
>>
>>1191790
gas is nice when it works. but if it only sees use 2-3 times a year, gets neglected in a humid shed, or is ill-prepared for storage otherwise (leaving gas in, etc) then you have more work than its worth. Battery tech is great if you actually pull the trigger. everybody expects stellar run times out of batteries the size of a smartphone... the amount of work it takes to cut or spin a motor to provide torque.... etc... will not change whether you use gasoline or electric. so, getting a battery the size of a gas tank will not cut it, mind the pun. Getting a decent size battery, or investing in multiple batteries, may seem like a hassle at first, but, with electric power tools, you just maintain the moving parts with oil or whatever, and charge the batteries. SIMPLE. SHIT. SENPAI. its just initial cost that is a concern.

In other words, you could buy a new P.O.S. chainsaw or hedge trimmer every few years, while every year getting yourself dirty and fume-headed by dealing with oil and gas, driving your little shit-box car with a little shit-tank of gas for every fuel up and then draining the tank, running it dry, etc. when you want to store it, then going out to buy new gas anyways (even with sta-bil, shit goes bad) when you pull it out again... OR, just keep a battery on hand with enough charge to do your job. Not enough juice? buy bigger- buy more- batteries. lube the machine. leave it wherever.

t. guy who pulled the trigger on a st33l set
>>
>>1192807
stihl hsa 66. get the backpack battery. start getting their other stuff. best bang for your buck and least hassle. they make pole trimmers too
>>
>>1193310
get the ar3000 backpack battery. 1030 wh. compare $/wh to other batteries.
>>
>>1193208

>sounds like this could rival many gas machines

Charge time tells us nothing. Run time is more important.
>>
>>1193378

Also 40x2.4=96

That's 96 watts, aka 0.13 hp
>>
For use around your own home, corded electric
For use as a landscaping contractor, gas

Battery powered trimmers are terrible unless you have a very small amount of trimming that needs to be done.
>>
>>1193429
>Battery powered trimmers are terrible

Are you just saying this or do you own one?
>>
>>1192858
I have a lawn mower over 50 years old. Have posted it on here before.
>>
File: victa.webm (347KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
victa.webm
347KB, 640x480px
>>1193647
>>
>>1193182
I have never seen any dewalt drill not take the Sr. Batteries, we swap them at work between the xrs and the basic ones, they fit in my grinder, sawzall, and 3/8th impact. Xr is just more bells and whistles
>>
Only thing that should be running on battery is your dildo
>>
>Win $2000 worth of Hilti tools in a raffle
>$200 for a 5A battery

Fuck Hilti.
>>
File: IMG_2773.png (20KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2773.png
20KB, 640x480px
>>1193865
>He doesn't own a 2 stroke dildo.
>>
>>1191115
>Get dads old husqvarna 44 from 1985
>Only used it like 5 times, but now it's CURRENT YEAR

replaced spark plug, fuel line, filter, took carb apart, cleaned it, replaced gaskets and diaphragm.

Starts now, but dies when hot and won't restart.
I look it up and it seems like it's probably bad compression.

Isn't there some way to rig up a pressure tester with a clear hose and some water?

I think I'm just going to sell it as is and rent/borrow a chainsaw, I only have two trees to drop and will never use one again.
>>
>>1193872
>implying I want to wipe all that soot off of my ass and bed
>>
>corded version
And
>good generator strapped to off road vehicle
>>
>>1195394
If you never ever see yourself using one ever again I guess you could rent one.

>a pressure tester with a clear hose and some water?
Never heard that one.

You put oil in the fuel right. I still have dads old jonsereds from the 70s and it still goes fine. Not even sure its ever been reringed but we did always run 25:1.
>>
>>1193310
buy it!! seriously. there are coal miners who need jobs, and strip miners who need to mutilate the earths crust, and nukers who need to glow, and oceans and mountains that need to store waste.
>plus the sissy factor is too good to ignore.
for me, i'll stick with my 9 yr old stihl that has only ever needed one spark plug.
>>
>>1193367
batteries never need replaced and if they ever do need to be replaced they are always so cheap that it best to not buy a new tool.
also electric motors are perfectly efficient, like battery technology, and are never updated or improved so there is never a reason to trash the old one after a few years.
>>
>>1195394
sounds like it might be running lean. run richer and see if that fixes the problem.

might need a tool to adjust the carb on that husky, but a socket willl suffice.
>>
>>1195411
Whatever batteryfag, I'll be the one laughing when your pathetic underpowered dildo dies mid orgasm. At least my dildo can run in the snow.
>>
>>1195479
Just a flathead.

>>1195430
Yes. Well actually I'm using premix because ethanol and I only need a little bit.

I really don't see myself using it again. My dad has a few trees left on his property, but these are going to be my only ones. Well a tiny lime tree but I don't foresee a use for it really.

For how often I use it too, it's a nightmare. Once every 5 or 10 years, overhaul the carb and everything and retune it? Fuck that. Just rent one for $40 or $50. I've spent more than that in parts that needed to be replaced.
>>
>>1195479
But yeah, I'll try it but don't have a lot of hope. It's kind of scary because it seems like it's fine, so I'll start work and then when I left off the throttle it died and wouldn't restart.

I don't want to be halfway through my felling cut and have it fuck up. That'd be a nightmare.
>>
>>1195502
>every 5 or 10 years

Mine gets used for firewood many times a year but at that rate... yeah.

>>1195479
>run richer
Too lean will overheat them bad. Generally run them so rich they 4 stroke until the load comes on on the high speed screew.

I've used a battery saw but it needed recharging after 10-15 min. Worked ok wile it worked. Chain sharpening would be a pain because you can't pull the chain along by hand as it has no clutch.

For you renting sounds like the go or just use an axe / hand saw.
>>
>>1193869
Hilti's arnt meant for peasants like you.
>>
>>1193807
Home Depot Hardware wage slave here;

there is no difference between the Dewalt 20v Max batteries and the "XR" models. XR means "Extended Runtime", they are just higher amp hour batteries in the same sized packages as the older all black lithium batteries. if its yellow and the battery slides on, it will fit, period. everything 20v from Dewalt will fit anything from the original 1.3ah slim batteries up to the 6.0 Flexvolt batteries and will run flawlessly. the only compatibility problems come from the new 9.0 Flexvolt batteries that are too big for some tools and the 18v XRP adaptor, which cant fit Flexvolt batteries at all.

im not entirely sure where this contrarian is getting this crazy idea about batteries not fitting, maybe hes confusing them with the older 18volt Nano batteries? the only company that had battery issues like that was Makita, whose early 18v LXT tools didnt let you use the smaller 1.5ah batteries on higher power tools like circular saws and roto hammers because they didnt think they could handle the output.
>>
>>1191115
If you go cordless, don't go cheap. High end cordless tools are worth it if you have the budget.
>>
>>1191115
gas is the best, always more power. battery is always shit, low power and heavy as fuck. we use gasoline for a reason, its lightweight and full of energy which allows for powerful engines.
>>
>>1192703
>I have a ton of hedges, and I don't want to have to deal with long start-up checklists and possible gasoline shortages.

>check for fuel
>check for choke
>push the little bubble
>pull

wow so hard.

now for electrical
>check for battery charge
>find the gay little key
>connect the battery
>pull your back moving it because that tiny little black box weighs a ton
>get pissed off because you didnt read the find print that says estimated battery life xxhours, now go buy an entirely new model because the manufacturer no longer supports the one you bought and now you have to ask diy how to jerry rig a car battery to make your 500 dollar piece of shit work.

stop falling for the 'green' meme. electrical power tools are not environmentally friendly, they are not easier, safer, or cheaper.
>>
>>1197226
>>check for battery charge
oh wow press one button

>>find the gay little key
the what? what cordless tools are you using that require keys?

>>connect the battery
if this is too complicated for you you shouldnt be using power tools at all

>>pull your back moving it because that tiny little black box weighs a ton
sorry grandpa but these days cordless tools weigh less than their gas counterparts, even with the biggest battery option. Milwaukee's cordless string trimmer with a 9.0ah battery weighs a full pound less than a two stroke Echo at the same price point.

>>get pissed off because you didnt read the find print that says estimated battery life xxhours, now go buy an entirely new model because the manufacturer no longer supports the one you bought and now you have to ask diy how to jerry rig a car battery to make your 500 dollar piece of shit work.
all major power tool manufacturers now guarantee that as long as the battery voltage is the same, they will continue to stay with the same battery platform indefinitely. all of the current advances are in increasing battery life and output from brushless motors running at the same voltage, there are no plans for any new battery lines from the current brands, just evolutions of the current platforms like Makita's 18X2 tools and Dewalt's Flexbvolt tools.
>>
I wish this green movement would be doing their own cause a favor and fund battery research. That or traveling wave reactors or whatever is the hip nuclear power area right now.
I'm so sick of all this wasted effort I never see anything from.
>>
>>1197226
>>check for fuel
>>check for choke
>>push the little bubble
>>pull

I got a Ryobi two years ago, and the start-up procedure after long non-activity is a lot crazier than that.
>>
>>1197553
That's really for if you store it like a normie, that is, with fuel in the tank and don't run it dry.

My two strokes and four strokes all start on one pull and really in most days don't even want the choke. (California, hot, at sea level)
>>
OP here.

>longest gasoline Stihl trimmer: 2.4 meters overall
>longest battery Stihl trimmer: 3.3 meters overall

So the battery trimmer is 35 inches longer.

My hedges are pretty god damn tall, and I REALLY want to trim the tops.
So I'm guessing this extra length of the battery trimmer just sealed the deal.

I just pray to Baal that it's powerful enough.
>>
>>1197559
So what's the procedure for non-normie storage?

Empty the fuel tank, turn off the power, and pull the starting cord a couple times?

Also, see >>1197560
The battery trimmer is a lot longer, and I need the length.
>>
>>1197560
I hear ladders are a thing nowadays.
>>
>>1197566
They suck.

The tall hedges (11ft) go all around for a total of 530 feet. And I have to do the top from both sides, so make that 1060 feet of tall hedge.

Just imagine the time and trouble I'm saving just by not having to move the ladder every 6 feet.

In fact, don't imagine, I just calculated it for you: 1060 feet, ladder moved every 6 feet, meaning 176 ladder moves.
Assuming 3 minutes per ladder move, that makes 9 hours of solid work time just for moving the ladder.

And this is all assuming I have perfect access, which I don't.
>>
>>1197574
Have you thought about not having a big pointless hedge on your property? If it's bourse or box thorn for keeping stock in I can help you out, I'm a fencer and can talk you through shit.
>>
>>1197579
I've thought about it, yes. But then I just moved in a few days ago, so I'm doing upkeep while I ponder it.

This is a pretty fancy house I just bought with a fair bit of glass, so I do need the privacy.

I've been thinking about a fence or something, but I'm unsure what would fit.
>>
File: 1408670541997.png (16KB, 744x615px) Image search: [Google]
1408670541997.png
16KB, 744x615px
>Had a 2-cycle weed-wacker
>Became inoperable after a couple of years
>Got a new one
>Same shit
>Get a WORX weed-wacker (Uses battery)
>Currently outliving both and still working perfectly

>2-cycle leaf-blower stopped working recently
>Drain the tank to work on it
>Fuel line and fuel filter just floating and turns into dust with a single touch
>Spark plug just doesn't even work anymore

Don't let these fucking grandpas make you stray from cordless.
Gasoline engines are merely tradition at this point.
>>
>>1199013
Maintain your fucking equipment and that shit won't happen you lazy bastard.
>>
>>1191866
Not him, but I don't doubt what you are saying at all, there is a lot of money to be made in landscaping but it is not a difficult trade nor does it take any real skill to make successful landscaping business. It is just mostly labor intensive.

>t. Industrial Concrete Contractor
>>
>>1199035
Really doesn't help your case if you admit that battery operated equipment doesn't require regular maintenance.
>>
>>1193383
Watt hours. There is a difference.
>>
File: Cod Atlantic- gadus_morhua_sw.png (155KB, 500x203px) Image search: [Google]
Cod Atlantic- gadus_morhua_sw.png
155KB, 500x203px
>>1191115
Anon, CODless is the way to go as attaching cod to the engine is a hassle and i have had many incidents where my cod malfunctioned while in use.
>>
>tfw ur battery full of cod
FUCK not again
>>
File: download-1.jpg (6KB, 273x184px) Image search: [Google]
download-1.jpg
6KB, 273x184px
>tfw codless
>>
If you ain't mixing gas, you ain't spankin ass.
>>
>>1193794
that's pretty fucking sexy.
>>
>>1199013
sounds like you've been using ethanol gas like a damn fool.
>>
if your going to use the tool like twice get the cheapest one weather its gas or electric.
If its for work everyday get a gas powered stihl brand.
>>
>>1200247
Makita makes some really nice 4-stroke weed-eaters and pole saws. they are built like tanks and almost always start on the first pull. their chainsaws are nice too if you can get them started, the 2-stroke models have very sensitive carburetors and will flood themselves after one too many pulls. never had any experience with the 4-stroke chainsaws but they are probobly pretty similar to the others.
>>
>>1199041

>it is not a difficult trade nor does it take any real skill to make successful landscaping business.

That's what every architect and contractor says. Before a little popularity we used to get hired AFTER contractors and architects left their clients with a mess of a landscape. Everything from thousands of dead plants to a parking lot swallowing a truck.

It depends on what you consider to be landscaping and what economical climate you are in.

Grass cutting and tree trimming is the easiest in terms of skill but here the competition is high and getting contracts is very difficult because everyone does it. I don't even want to look at that shit but I have to.

My business specialises in retaining walls, earth moving and large plant installations (quantity and size) with a sprinkle of irrigation. We still do some maintenance but those were either part of or to sweeten the deal on a bid. Those contracts are still hard to get because even when there is a tender out for landscaping the general contractor often wins the bid because they bid unrealistically and the client never asks themselves why they are so cheap compared to the rest of the bids. We do win some though, mostly with development companies who have been through it before.

>It is just mostly labor intensive.

If you're digging holes by yourself when you have summer break from school, yes. But it becomes pretty physically easy when you up the size of the project.
>>
File: STIHL_hla85.jpg (22KB, 1024x1278px) Image search: [Google]
STIHL_hla85.jpg
22KB, 1024x1278px
OP here, I ended up buying pic related, battery-powered.

>longer than any of the gasoline models I found
>great distance between hinge and tip of blade, meaning I can go pretty deep when working high
>very little noise, which is great
>battery lasts a very long time
>lighter than gasoline
>shoulder strap is surprisingly useful

Love this thing.
>>
File: fag_on_stilts.jpg (135KB, 634x767px) Image search: [Google]
fag_on_stilts.jpg
135KB, 634x767px
>>1197574
Get a pair of stilts.
>>
>>1191809
>going to the hundredths when mentioning acres

landlet detected
>>
I ended up buying a Stihl MS 280 C or 210 (gas engine)I think, which can be a bitch if you cant handle the carb, at least after not being used for a month. You'll literally have to hold the gas with one hand and adjust the carb with the other while having the chainsaw under your balls grunting like its about to bite

I don't regret at all anyway, after using one of those Ryobi cordless chainsaws which its cool for small shit but I wouldn't dare to cut down a tree with it, let alone a cuple hours of nonstop small branch constant abuse (which may result in a fire if the cells aren't gud enuf)
>>
>>1192571
That is a goddamned fact

My mother literally hates the Stihl but picks up the shitty electric any day of the week

Props for her tho for picking up a tool at her age and condition
>>
>>1192701
Who the hell unironically buys anything new from dewalt
>>
>>1193208
Is Ryobi based, anon?
>>
>>1200135
See >>1199013

Ethanol fucking eats hkses and shit, plus if it's an already shitty chinese that you see everywhere with a different brand sticker and shit
>>
>>1202171
their new 60v stuff is pretty solid. everything is well built and best in class in terms of power and torque, though its not a huge jump in power over the higher end Makita an Milwaukee stuff.
>>
>>1191172
I agree with this anon

>Ryobi fanboy
>that one+ battery that goes in fucking every tool they have
>edger, trimmer, impact driver, drills, angle grinder, etc
>they make components interchangeable [edger/weed whacker/hedge trimmer]

Great for me being a homeowner and weekend warrior at /diy/ who makes steve ramsay projects

None of this hobbyist tier stuff would last in a professional environment.

>>1191788
>Know your needs.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.