[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>doing ____ myself doesn't save me money because my time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: Untitled-1.png (344KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
344KB, 728x546px
>doing ____ myself doesn't save me money because my time is worth ____

So don't do your project during your business day? What the fuck did boomers mean by this? Why do they think facebook scrolling and TV watching time is worth $25 an hour?
>>
>>1190867
It is just shitty child's logic. Like the one where they want to "have fun before I die" instead of not eating shit food or smoking, ect.

I DIY because I want something that doesn't break like store bought crap. It is also pretty fun.
>>
I'd say it's mainly used when talking about things done at or during work.

When talking about private projects or tasks, I'd say there's no real reason to not do it yourself and people only say it when they want instant gratification or they don't have the skills or the motivation to do it.

But for business related cases, it's actually a very valid argument. An example would be when a company buys new furniture for the office. The total cost of buying readily assembled furniture and having it delivered to the office is lower than building the furniture yourself and then hauling it to the office. This of course depends on how many man-hours it takes to build and haul the furniture and how much each man-hour costs but after a certain hourly wage, it's cheaper for the company to order delivered and assembled furniture.
>>
>>1190886
>>1190867
are you mentally retarded? Take what you make an hour and find the rate you would make if it was over the course of your entire day.

Basic math.
>>
>>1190898
But you don't work over the course of your entire day.
>>
>>1190898
The difference is that after you have done your 8 hour day, nobody is paying you anything. So the value of your work drops down to zero unless you spend it working another job or building stuff you'll sell later on.

Most of the time people assume their time is valuable because someone pays them to do something. The truth is that they pay them to do a job for 8 hours and anything outside of that is worthless to the employer.
>>
>>1190903
And to continue on this, it's not a choice between whether I'll work at my actual job or with my hobby projects. In reality the choice is between working on a project and doing nothing and as me doing nothing outside of my work is worthless to my employer, my time is worthless.

Of course if I'm an entrepreneur, the line between work and not work gets blurred heavily.
>>
>>1190867
I've calculated I'd need to value my time at $30/hour for ordering a pizza to be worthwhile, but people earning much less than that order pizzas. Why is this?
>>
>>1190887
>An example would be when a company buys new furniture for the office.
Unless the company makes office furniture. Generally, a company that does X can do X for itself cheaper than the market rate, but would be better served buying not-X from other companies.

As for the thread topic regarding the value of time for DIY stuff: No one is paying you for your own time, but that's not the same thing as being without value. I don't weave my own clothes, but I do fix minor damage because I value my personal time in between those price points. Similarly, I don't manufacture my own paperclips or pens, but I do make my own work benches and custom metalwork.

In the sense of keeping dollars in the bank, DIY isn't worth anything unless you sell it (thereby becoming a job rather than "DIY"), but that's not the same as value or worth per se.
>>
>>1190908
> DIY isn't worth anything unless you sell it (thereby becoming a job rather than "DIY"), but that's not the same as value or worth per se

That's true, repairing things and building them yourself does save you money if you'd have to buy a new item to replace the broken one or if you really need the item in question. In this sense, your time does have certain value but I'd still argue that it doesn't have intrinsic value and only your application of it has value.
>>
>>1190898
Wagecuck spotted.
>>
File: Gunter.png (930KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Gunter.png
930KB, 1920x1080px
>>1190910
>only your application of it has value
Something has "value" to you if you care about it. That's what value means, and monetary value is only one kind. Suppose you like to break glass bottles. It brings enjoyment, so the activity has value to you. It may have more value to you than the money it takes to support the activity, in which case it would make sense to buy bottles to break. If not, or if the activity enhances the enjoyment of breaking them, it may be better to take up glassblowing and make your own bottles.

The criterion in each case for determining value is how much you care about particular things, and their monetary cost or benefit is only one factor in that consideration.
>>
>>1190867
>Just do work in your leisure time
Are you stupid or only pretending to be stupid? The point is if you actually make a decent amount of money it is always going to be better to just pay someone else to do shit you need done with the money you earn from your day job instead of spending your precious leisure time on it.
>>
If you want a job done right, you do it yourself.
>>
I knew a teacher who paid Geek Squad to come to her home and plug in a VCR. In 2010.
>>
>>1192107
Oh boy isn't this true. Shit done by myself is done with pride. Wageslaves don't have that same feel...
>>
>>1192119
Are you a robot? your post is three incoherent sentences.
>>
>>1191312
If you make decent money then you should be retiring early and getting low hours for Internet and rates. In the mean time you garden and diy. My life's been great ever since I decided to live like an old person who goes hunting and fishing every weekend.
>>
>ITT, we discover that 4chan users consider their time to be worthless
And you think you're somehow better than someone who values their time on this planet properly. Just because you're not at your job doesn't make your time worthless.
>>
>>1192227

There isn't much value in arguing over shipping container burial methods or the best methods on restoring a $5 hammer, but here we are.
>>
>>1192229
>By not using a shipping container in the first place and using a concrete water tank or making your own room out of reinforced cinder.
>Electrolosis

Try to be too worried about time, spend it how you want, and if you want it to be filled with gardening, woodworking and fly fishing. Then so be it.
>>
this only applies if you have the possibility for endless work, so you probably have to be self employed

this does not apply to most people who say shit like this
>>
>>1190907
Bc they are bad at math.
>>
>>1190867
I use similar logic to figure out whether ironing my shirts vs sending out makes sense. Based on time required and my day rate, once I cracked 60k per yr it no longer made sense. Unemployed? Time to diy. There's a similar breakpoint for lawn work, pool cleaning, maids, etc.

Point is this analogy works best on things you don't like doing.

Car repair is another. Just bought beater car for son. We will replace speakers, clear engine codes, replace CV and struts, valve cover gasket as diy. AC is dead and it's going to shop for that bc I just can't see spending a weekend sorting that out... I would have to learn it and point of car is to show home how to do stuff.
>>
>>1190867
It's only applicable if one can get money for additional labor.
>>
File: sad seal.jpg (56KB, 540x361px) Image search: [Google]
sad seal.jpg
56KB, 540x361px
>>1190867
>blacksmith
>only clients are stingey middle-class boomer fucks
>keep trying to jew me for free work
>keeps trying to haggle after agreeing to a price
>make slightly less that minumum wage after expenses
>can't afford to waste nice material on myself
>can't afford to waste abrasives and sanding belts on myself
>make shit for myself out of scrap and stuff I get at my blacksmithing meetings
>tfw sitting on $5000 of silicon bronze and can't waste any of myself
>>
>>1192461
where are you at anon? pls post some pics of your work
>>
File: sad cat.png (942KB, 898x674px) Image search: [Google]
sad cat.png
942KB, 898x674px
>>1192556
I live in Connecticut. Most of those fucks lives in a nice renovated colonial house and demands period correct work. Or they want something ridiculously expensive, set unreasonable timelines, act pissy when I tell them the 50% deposit is for material and not the entire cost, change their mind when I'm 90% done and refuses to give me more money to buy more material, or when I try to deliver a finished product they try to haggle with me so they can jew me down 20-30%
>tfw no money to move out of this shitty state
>>
>>1192582
>>tfw no money to move out of this shitty state
It's doable, you can move from anywhere to anywhere in the continental US for under $500.
If you don't have $500 in savings, you should supplement your income with another job.
>>
>>1190867
I've had to delegate stuff I can easily do out to people and pay for it sometimes for the lack of time- mostly car repairs which I can't do because sometimes I get very busy work periods.
But when I sit down and make something, thats just for me and time/money isn't the thing that matters. What matters is that I can do them because I like doing it, I like making things and actually selling anything is a really low priority.
>>
>>1190867
Boomers are retarded.
>>
>>1192582
Move out now, this state is fucked beyond repair. The only thing coming is more taxes to fund the sanctuary city boggle and to keep that useless fucking bus way running.
Either that or don't back down from your costs, you are a skilled tradesman and deserve NO LESS than 18 dollars an hour. I mow lawns and average 15-18 dollars for Christ sake.
What town, just curious.
>>
>>1190902
Time is money.
>>
>>1192607
Near Torrington and Goshen **please kill me**
>>
>>1192608
No it isn't, time is time. Money is money. The two can be interchanged only in very specific circumstances.
>>
>>1190867
This applies to borderline artistic shit like automotive paint. You could get it done with rattlecans, some sandpaper, and thirty hours of quality time with that sandpaper between coats. You could spend $500+ on paint, a compressor, a spray gun, and building a booth. Or you could work a little overtime and pay an indepedent contractor with a good setup and actual 2k urethane paint to do a better job for a grand. In that case, the job is cheaper than the time spent on the job.

It also applies to things that need permits, like installing your own AC from start to finish (you need an HVAC license to get the refrigerant in the first place, and it's cheaper for you to pay someone who already has one than it is for you to become an HVAC contractor yourself).

When it's something like installing a dimmer switch, a bathroom fan, a basic sprinkler system, a new outlet, or something else you can do it as fast as the contractor and the tools, knowledge, materials, and techniques are all easy to come by.
>>
>>1192610
Yeah you would be better off centralized in New Britain or Bristol. Typically though people either have money or don't in this state, don't get Jewed down unless the customer can't afford your services in the fist place, in which case fuck em. Blacksmithing is rare as it is, so at least you got a market for it.
>>
>>1191312
>The point is if you actually make a decent amount of money it is always going to be better to just pay someone else to do shit you need done with the money you earn from your day job instead of spending your precious leisure time on it.

Depends on what you enjoy in your leisure time. I enjoy welding, machining, motorcycle/auto/truck mechanics and when I want to go play somewhere else I have bros with the same interests. We helped each other build and furnish our shops. DIY in intellectually stimulating, grows skills who can supplement and complement other skills, gives insights into how things work you cannot learn from reading or video, and can save absurd amounts of money.

Many successful small business owners use "in house DIY" when building, configuring and modifying their workplaces and equipment. It's not their core business but taking care of as much as practical can be highly efficient.
>>
Yeah what they really mean is that they value the money less and the expected discomfort more than what they've earned from diy.

Which is understandable. But they're not good at expressing themselves.
>>
>>1192461
Since you can smith, why not add welding and custom fabrication if money is tight? The only thing better than metalworking is more metalworking.
>>
>>1192618
So maybe people who say "my time is worth more than the cost of paying a professional" don't enjoy what they're paying someone else to do?

Like snaking a giant turd clump out of a clogged toilet. If it's not an economic necessity, call a licensed, bonded, and insured contractor to deal with that literal shit and pay if they fuck up your floor.
>>
>>1192615
>like installing your own AC from start to finish (you need an HVAC license to get the refrigerant in the first place, and it's cheaper for you to pay someone who already has one than it is for you to become an HVAC contractor yourself).

Myth. I get my refrigerant online. Don't buy shit locally. it's overpriced.

Interestingly, HVAC gear pays for itself very quickly. I have a couple sets of gauges, vacuum pump, a blacklight for UV dye checks, and a regulator and compressed gas cylinder for pressure testing systems with nitrogen (or any dry welding gas if you already own or lease cylinders, since helium, argon and MIG mix share the same CGA fittings). I got most of it used and it paid for itself in the first two jobs. Self and bros service their vehicles (we help each other all the time) so my setup has done seven vehicles so far, three with major component replacements.

Best HVAC quote I ever read regarding nitrogen pressure testing:

>I'd rather make a leak than chase one.

I'd install a home AC. So fucking what? It's a machine like any other.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.