[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is flywheel based energy storage for my house feasible? It's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: image4.png (141KB, 600x416px) Image search: [Google]
image4.png
141KB, 600x416px
Is flywheel based energy storage for my house feasible?

It's an idea I've toyed with in my head for some time, but I have no idea if there are any off the shelf units that could work or if it's reasonably possible to build your own.
>>
>>1190858
>reasonably possible to build your own
i wouldn't want to be the neighbor of someone that diy'd a home capacity flywheel storage system
>>
im interested in alternative storage for data and energy too OP

checkout youtube diy flywheels

i saw one where a guy used a weighted oil drum for example
>>
>>1190858
This will not work in the slightest because you have to expend (and continue to expend) energy to spin the flywheel. Also I wouldn't imagine it lasting more than an hour even with magnetic bearings, you would need a massive flywheel or a series of them to provide ample power.
>>
>>1190893
Wouldn't also the rotation of the planet apply some torque to the disk?
>>
>>1190858
I heard some data centers use them. You can get a lead acid UPS and gas generator if you're anxious about power loss. Any desktop PC should have a UPS unless you're a turboloser who doesn't have any work to lose despite spending all day in front of it. Doesn't just keep it on, also protects way better than any passive surge protector.
>>
>>1190896
You put it on a gimbal
>>1190893
Magnetic bearings maintain around 95-98% of the power after 2 hours.
Presumably this would only be used when I need a ton of current for one of my stupid experiments or if I were gonna put some solar panels, as a way to store excess energy for short term.
>>
>>1190858
Flywheels are very good for very high power outputs over a very short time, hence why they are sometimes used in trains ect, but i strongly believe there are far better and cheaper alternatives to buffer the power usage of a household.

>any off the shelf units that could work
most likely, but at what cost and what efficiency? They're not really suited for prolonged storage

>if it's reasonably possible to build your own.
yeah forget about that
>>
>>1190916
Is there anything other than batteries that would be good for a house? Some sort of hydraulic system maybe?
>>
>>1190883

These things are usually buried, or at least large ones are. Even catastrophic failures are pretty well contained when they're surrounded by a few hundred tons of dirt.

>>1190893

(You) know nothing. Though not nearly as big as batteries right now, flywheels are being actively pursued as an alternative, as they are, potentially much cheaper per unit of stored energy, have a longer service life (parts can be serviced; batteries generally need to be outright replaced), and could be more environmentally friendly. The downside is that they're usually larger than an equivalent battery, but this isn't a huge issue for a stationary system. The expense might be, however.

There are already a few commercial-ish offerings available, if you've got money to burn.

>>1190858

You need either a shitton of money for a ready-made solution, or some very serious equipment to build your own.

Of course, you could always scale back your expectations to dodge both of those requirements. It's not too hard to build a half-ton concrete flywheel and hook it up to a shitty motor/generator, but it's not gonna store much energy, it won't be very efficient, and you'll lose a lot of what you store to the bearings, depending on how long it's left running.

Tl;dr: It could be done, but it's not exactly practical.
>>
>>1190921
compressed air systems apparently are a thing, maybe there are other (somewhat realistic) options i'm not really aware of
I hate battery storage with a passion, but i think they're the best solution for the scale of a household; not that expensive and high storage efficiencies
>>
File: Power utility area.jpg (725KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
Power utility area.jpg
725KB, 2016x1512px
I have flywheel based system, but this setup is way overkill for a normal sized home. Weighs 6.5t, spins at 1500 rpm in vacuum, holds the power for 15 seconds (diesel genset should take over in 4 seconds) and is always making sure the power delivered is in good condition.

Bought them second hand from a German plant that was shut down. 1.6 mw each, ~$150k.

The army had a flywheel system in place as well, I was told there was an accident in the 80s where the carrying axle broke, and the 20t flywheel broke lose into the kitchen area through a 30cm concrete wall.
>>
>>1190944
Bunkerbro? That's pretty cool.
I can't imagine what your power bill is like if this is the sort of setup you have in place.
>>
A flywheel of massive proportions paired with a massive CVT to keep a constant speed to a permanent magnet motor would make quite alot of sense, 10+20 ton flywheel would last several hours if not days
>>
>>1190950
If spending a five digit number in a case where batteries would be sufficient makes a lot of sense, then sure

>>1190944
Your system buffers very short (and severe) power spikes, i don't think that's what OP is looking for
>>
>>1190944
>Bunkerbro slowly expands the empire, right under our very feet.
>>
>>1190947
Not that bad, we have the lowest electricity price in Europe next to Iceland (where its mostly free). $0.02 kw/h.

>>1190954
Depends, 16mj energy would run quite a bit if he was just powering his fridge. But yeah this system is just meant as a power bridge before diesel takes over.

>>1190955
>not signing the mole-man treaty
>>
>>1190944
We love you bunkeranon
>>
>>1190957
1,6MW for about 15s, that's like 6,6kWh which is more than enough electricity for a day i believe, if the setup allows it
but then again
>$150k
>>
>>1190858
Idea ok, but You would need a very huge flywheel to store considerable amounts of energy. Usable Systems starts with a diameter of 3ft. Hint: google for flywheel operated busses in Switzerland (I hope I remember right) to see an example of it
>>
Seems like something that would only be practical if your power source were available only sporadically but of extremely high intensity.
>>
>>1190959
>We love you bunkeranon
What anon over here tells you; he loves you in a romantic sense.

I think your setup is cool tho.
>>
>>1190858
Why don't they use magnetic bearings for HVAC?
>>
>>1191207
They're expensive and (contrary to popular belief) wear out over time. They also start fail rapidly with rapid temperature changes.
>>
File: 1487991185899.jpg (12KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1487991185899.jpg
12KB, 320x320px
>>1190858
>mfw literally using fidget spinners to power your house
>>
>>1190893
You can buy electricity at night when its cheaper and store it for daytime
>>
>>1190858
Have fun!
>>
>>1191179
>2017
>not getting all your electricity from lightning
>>
>>1191482
Only if you are JP Morgan.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.