[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I've got an idea to build an electric guitar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 9

File: DSC_0161-1.jpg (260KB, 1140x1140px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0161-1.jpg
260KB, 1140x1140px
Hey /diy/, I've got an idea to build an electric guitar with a "secret wood" body. You often see these types of designs on rings like in the pic related.
I was wondering how I could do some of the more "complex" patterns and designs like this snow storm or the aurora borealis posted below. I'd imagine it'd be something to do with mixing epoxy only partially but is that it? What type of epoxy(s) should I use for something as big as a guitar body? I've never worked with resin before so I'll definitely do some tests before I commit to anything big.
>>
>>
File: DSC0678.jpg (335KB, 1283x1283px) Image search: [Google]
DSC0678.jpg
335KB, 1283x1283px
notice the sort of "fallen snow" and bubbles simulating snow that's still falling. I think that'd be cool to do in a guitar
>>
File: Secret-Wood-Rings-FreshersMag-10.jpg (161KB, 1014x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Secret-Wood-Rings-FreshersMag-10.jpg
161KB, 1014x1014px
>>
These aren't even real. Fucking photoshop and CGI fags making these images.
>>
>>1189903
They are tho...

You put white dyed epoxy on a toothpic and have at it. Or maybe ger a box of syringes.

Just build a diy vacumn chamber amd report back op. Would love to see your findings before i waste money doing the same
>>
high viscosity resin and/or manipulate the particles and dyes with a needle when the resin is semi cured. Also layers.
>>
>>1189903
Mate you can buy them. They're kinda expensive, but in essence they're just some kind of thermoset resin with a bunch of pigments mixed in. Peter Brown made one: https://youtu.be/poNzkmOAL4k
>>
>>1189903
OP here, I'm a CGI fag and they're not CGI
>>1189907
How could I build a DIY vacuum chamber big enough for a guitar body and why do I need to have a vacuum chamber in the first place?
>>1189909
You can buy them but they're like $150/ea, kind of a ripoff if you ask me
>>
>>1189903
Why the fuck is half of 4chan trying to claim easily verifiable shit is fake these days? Literally fucking kill yourself.
>>
>>1189915

The vacuum chamber is used to remove bubbles from the epoxy or resin mixture. Different materials are handled differently though, so you need to pick a specific technique and research it specifically:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=227373
>>
>>1189924
I was actually planning on leaving a bunch of bubbles in to get that "falling snow" effect like in the 3rd pic
>>
>>1189898
thank you so much for posting this!!!
>>
>>1189923
Kids

>>1189907
>>1189915
>>1189924
Vacuum chambers are typically used to degass the silicone before pouring (sometimes during the cure too if you're bad at pouring). Resin is typically just cast under pressure, so you need a large pressure chamber to remove bubbles and something big enough for a guitar will be very expensive as you'll need to find something specialized for the industrial market. Resins cure so quickly that it's hard to do both.
>>
>>1189937
>>1189925
would this be a good idea or would the bubbles be too large to look right?
>>
>>1189897
One thing you'll have to do is build a pressure chamber big enough to fit your guitar body.
You want to use a pressure chamber instead of a vacuum chamber because it'll take far longer for the vacuum to suck out all the air from the wood than it will for the resin to cure leaving you with an absolute mess.
>>
>>1189943
What if I want the bubbles though?
>>
>>1189945
It'll help you control bubble size then since a pressure chamber is used to shrink the air bubbles.
>>
>>1189915
Would be a little expensive and probably need 2 or 3 car ac vacumn test pumps.

Needs to be air tight obviously. Most people use thick acrylic so u can see in it and make a bead of silicone to suction seal it tight.

However. Some folks here just pour it and then gently use a heat gun and a tooth pick to raise and pop the air bubbles. More work but for 1 offs there u go.

If it were me i would find a junk refrigerator and just plumb it and hope it doesnt implode
>>
>>1190250
that heat gun idea does sound alot more appealing to me but I'd need a resin that dries slow so I actually have some time to work with it, especially with something as large and complicated as a guitar frame
>>
>>1189948
So the bubbles will be pressurised? What kind of pressure are we talking here, and does the pressure decrease over time?
>>
>>1190350
Opposite. It pulls air out. So most if not all of the air in the resin gets out. Little bubbles suck
>>
>>1190342
Yeah. Mayne u can try doing it in a cokd environment and the set it outside. Know any truck drivers with a reefer unit?
>>
>>1189923
Wholeheartedly understand and agree
>>
>>1190394
Dunno any truck drivers but it gets pretty cold here at night, like 40 F if that's cold enough. I've also got a refrigerator that could fit a guitar body but why does it have to be that cold to start? I'm guessing something to do with how the heat reacts to the resin
>>
keep in mind op that resin can be heavy as shit

>>1189939
probably be okay
most of the bubbles will be made when you stir it around, and you should be able to see most of those bubbles before you even pour it.
if you want lots of bubbles just stir the shit out of it, can experiment a bit just pouring it into plastic cups or some shit to get used to working with the stuff

>>1190425
might help with clarity depending on the resin you use
>>
>>1190446
I was talking to my mom yesterday and she mentioned that resin is really heavy too, do you really think it'd be that much of a problem for only a guitar? What type of resin would you recommend for something like this?
>>
>>1189897
I'd be tempted to make something more like a wood body with some of these pieces inset... perhaps backlit, than, say, trying to make entire face of this material... mostly b/c heavy.
>>
>>1190453
Does resin get heavier when it dries? I have a mostly full gallon container of the stuff and it's not really all that heavy
>>
>>1190449
couldn't tell you really, you'd have to look it up for anything lighter weight
we used to make prototype parts for electrical transformers, but we also fucked around and made some canes with the stuff, basically 1 inch roundstock and it was a lot heavier than hardwood, would compare the weight to a thick walled steel pipe of the same length. We had problems with cracks forming long the canes too, but mind you we were just pouring it down into a mold, so just casting, not injection molding or anything pressurized.
there was also a catalyst we used, some pretty nasty stuff, burns the shit out of your lungs if you breath it in but since you wanted it to cure pretty slow, you shouldn't need any catalyst anyways. Also if you get any of the shit on your hands, acetone is about the only thing that gets it off I found.

just when you're playing a guitar all that weight will be on your neck, a sturdy but light wood as your base should help offset the weight but just keep in mind that the more resin you use in your design as fill, the heavier it'll get.

>>1190453
maybe a holesaw then a hammer + spike/chisel on the edges to gash it up a bit would work well for that
>>
>>1190472
I'm not sure if I'll be doing an injection mold or pressurized either. I was planning on just making a big chunk of it and cutting out/shaping the bit I wanted.
>>
>>1189923
what i think is happening is that theyre going straight to google and typing "is X fake" or "is X just cgi" and then shitposting.

because nobody understands how search engines work, you just type things then magic and yeh.
>>
>>1190485
i'd say to make a relative mold based off a template guitar at least if you were going to go for the full resin guitar
breathing in resin dust sucks dick, and so does getting it in your eyes, so the less cutting you have to do the better you're off really.

if you're still gonna do the wood base, could just get one of those unfinished kits for cheap, then take the mold, then beat the shit out of the kit, rip chunks off of it, jam it back in the mold and pour.
>>
>>1190499
I'll probably make a rough mold just to save some time if nothing else. The kits won't work because for one they're way more money than I'd like to pay for something i'm tearing apart anyway and the grain of the wood in the guitar goes the wrong direction anyway. I was planning on gluing together a bunch of planks of wood to to make a big sheet and then using that for the wooden half instead
>>
There are different kinds of resin, including but not limited to polyester and epoxy. I'd look up their densities if I were you, and try to find something similar to wood. This brings me onto my second point, acoustics. Anyone who thinks that the material of the body of an electric guitar doesn't effect how it sounds is a moron, I hope you aren't one of those people. Look for other people who have done similar projects and see what they think of the sound, among other things.

Are you going for the splintered wood look vertically or planar with the guitar? If you're lucky you could find a broken exotic timber electric guitar on CL or somewhere that you can use for the wooden half of the guitar, if not a trashy second-hand one to make the silicone mould out of and possibly cannibalise for the pickup and all that. The junk shop is your friend.
>>
>>1190524
You've got some good points anon. I was gonna splinter the wood vertically so I could turn it into a sorta landscape in the guitar, also I'd like to shape the body myself just for the fun of it. I looked up a video of another resin guitar and found this: https://youtu.be/JOTYnZqSTtE
sounds fine to me but I'm not really a guitar expert
>>
>>1190509
will save a lot of resin too that way as well, that stuff can be pretty damn expensive

during your tests with the cups you could also try and test the clarity of multiple pours, so that you could place objects at different depths throughout it.

>>1190524
this thread kinda makes me wonder what a full cast copper or cast iron guitar would sound like.
not that you could play one without slipping a disc
>>
pretty sure if youre trying to make the entire body of the guitar or any portion of it out of acrylic epoxy resin, which is what is used in those rings, the acoustics are gonna be terrible. theres a reason they use certain woods for guitar bodies.

i use large quantities of resin in making tables and have used left overs to give a half assed effort at things similar to the ring, its not as easy as you'd think to get a good swirl of color in the epoxy
>>
>>1190563
derp, i assumed you were going for an acoustic not electric, and just looked at that vid above

given that youre likely gonna pour into a mold, the best thing to do is mix the epoxy, let it degas in a vacuum chamber for a couple minutes, then pour it in your mold and hit it with the heat gun to remove bubbles. if you want bubbles, dont hit it with a heat gun, but the bubbles will rise to the top of the layer poured, not evenly dispersed at different levels
>>
>>1190566
if I wanted bubbles couldn't I do it in a bunch of different layers rather than all at once? Also, since you've tried making those rings already could you spread some knowledge on the swirl effect? I'd guess for the aurora one you'd use a needle and inject it midway through, is that right? Any tips you learned through trial and error?

>>1190560
gimme 5 years and I'll find that out for you anon
>>
>>1189903
i can do the same, broke wood and put in glue, then cut well
>>
File: 20170609_121902.jpg (1MB, 1440x1900px) Image search: [Google]
20170609_121902.jpg
1MB, 1440x1900px
>>1190569
So, looking at my quarter assed effort(pic) at making one of those pendants while working on a river table, the bubbles actually seem to be evenly dispersed throughout. This could be because this was the last bit of the batch of resin i was using, so it was closer to setting and the bubbles couldn't rise to the surface, I also didn't hit this with a heat gun, which aids in raising and popping bubbles. However if poured in a large quantity over a greater surface area I think you might get a more layered set of bubbles.

I really only put like 2 minutes into the little pendant thing, but I poured a bit of acrylic on the wood then put in a drop or two of the resin dye, poured a bit more resin on it and poked at it with a toothpick. I imagine a syringe would work more precisely but I'd be wary of injecting a large air bubble in there. If you go for it, definitely test on a small scale because resin ain't cheap and if you fuck it up, the wood and resin is pretty difficult/impossible to repurpose/reuse. That said, the acrylic behaves a little differently in larger quantities due to the increased heat (dont pour over 1/4 inch deep or you run a risk of it cracking as it sets)
>>
>>1190833
Thanks for the tips. I actually quite like the look of the bubbles in yours but I'd imagine for something like a guitar body they'd need to be a bit more spread out. I think I'm gonna make a couple rings first just to get comfortable with the whole process and then maybe I'll sell them to buy more resin for the guitar body
>>
>>1190393
No, a vacuum chamber pulls air out. A pressure chamber compress the bubbles by increasing the pressure in the bubbles, decreasing their volume as a function of the gas laws. For the bubbles to remain small, the pressure needs to stay the same, regardless of the ambient pressure, unless the gas inside the bubbles can find a way out. So that's why I wonder if resin is permeable to air, or some of the gases in air, like helium leaking through an intact balloon.
>>
>>1190833
I know there probably isn't, but damn that would look cool if there was a flickering LED in there. Maybe OP could put some in that respond to musing being played? Preferably behind a thin layer of wood so they look diffuse and part of the structure.
>>
>>1190946
I actually had an idea to do that and route it through the face of the guitar with a sort of resin "river| to hide the wire. I dunno how viable that is but maybe eventually
>>
What style of guitar you thinking?
>>
>>1191047
Not totally sure yet. I think something like a firebird or musiclander would be cool but I still need to decide on something. I also really like the SG and the WGD
>>
https://warosu.org/diy/thread/S1037011#p1037050
>>
>>1190873
Yeah. I missed some of the thread. I meant to get rid of bubbles with vacumn but if it is a 1 off i have seen bar tops done with a few heat guns. Just move it a LOT so u dont cook shit. It dont have to be hot just raise bubbles to the surface for pop with toothpick. But if u want bubbles just stir the shit and dump ot and see
>>
>>1191083
pretty useful thread, thanks anon
>>
Op could you specify what parts of the guitar would be the resin and what would be wood, if wood at all?
>>
>>1191458
I'd probably do half and half, so (looking at the guitar sideways as if someone was playing it) the resin would be ontop and the wood below. It'd be like a landscape in a guitar while it was being played
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 1200x1200px
Concrete is regularly degassed with a powerful vibrator. Maybe you could pilfer your moms's dildo (pictured here) to persuade air bubbles to the surface for popping with a toothpick.
>>
File: burl.jpg (11KB, 225x180px) Image search: [Google]
burl.jpg
11KB, 225x180px
>>1191484
id recommend looking into maple burl caps(pic related, though they come in all sorts of random shapes and sizes that can be pieced together interestingly) for the lumber, the burl on it can have a landscape-esque look to it and it looks pretty cool with resin layered on it. its the wood in the wood/resin tables i use most often for the same aesthetic reason as you
>>
>>1191781
Those are cool but could I find one wide enough for a guitar without shattering the bank? I'd like to keep it in one piece
>>
>>1192186
you could probably find one for around 50 bucks, but burl comes in such random shapes and slices depending upon how the lumberjack sliced it that such a piece may not be readily available. if youre looking to do it right meow, you can take smaller pieces and put them in the guitar body mold, and let the resin fill the gaps in between, but this is more resin, which costs more per cubic inch or whatever
>>
>>1192186
I don't think anyone would get on your ass for not using a single burl.
Hell, bonus points if you can get a nice, aesthetic transition between two pieces.
>>
>>1190946
You'll want to have it as a separate circuit in case you're not using active pickups
>>
>>1192380
Where would I look for one anyway, offline preferably. I'm not gonna do it right now since I don't have the money for however many gallons of resin I need, I'm planning on trying it out on a couple rings first and see if I can't sell em' to pay for the rest of the resin. That shit aint cheap.
>>1192516
Yeah, probably not anon but I'm not doing this for other people. My OCD probably wouldn't let me use multiple chunks
>>
>>1192781
offline, it might be tough to find a suitable one. check your local lumber yard, but odds are their stock will be somewhat dependent on what trees are local to the area, and will consist of larger slabs than youre looking for.

depending on the size of the burl or whatever wood you go with, my guess is 2 gallons should be plenty, which runs about 100 bucks(at least from my source)
>>
>>1193500
Yeah but I don't wanna spend $100 on resin I don't know how to use. I'll also need dye and I'm not sure what kind to get quite yet. Much better to practice on small pieces for now.
Is there anywhere I could shop for burls online? Preferably something on the east coast so shipping isn't crazy
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (74KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
74KB, 525x700px
>>1192781
You're just not being creative enough. Burl from the same tree is probably going to look more or less the same. As long as you've got a tasteful border between each piece, it'll be fine.

I used Gimp 'cause I'm too lazy to pirate photoshop, but it'll probably look something like this. Again, burl will almost certainly be more uniform than the noise filter I used (fucking GIMP piece of shit)
>>
>>1193595
If I decide to add LEDs in the resin I could use 2 since that would give me an easy excuse and I'd be able to route the wires through the gap in between, I'd still like to keep it all one chunk though for the idea I have in my head
>>
>>1193538
ebay is your best bet online. when i started making resin tables i had the same hesitation since the stuffs so expensive and once you pour it on, that piece of wood would be difficult to repurpose if you fucked up. but if you're committed to the project its more economical to buy in larger quantities, and then you just mix small batches to fine tune the process and figure out the right mixture of dyes to achieve the color you want. they make special dyes, both transparent and opaque, for acyrlic resins, which are like 6 bucks for more dye than you'll need.

if you do use LEDs, definitely do a test batch to see how the light/wires handle the resin being poured on it. the reaction when it sets heats up a decent bit and might screw up the electronics, and then youre stuck with a broken light embedded in the resin
>>
>>1194159
Thanks for the tips anon, do you have any specific resin you prefer over others or is it just sorta "anything will do"?
>>
>>1194159
I definitely wouldn't use LED strips or anything of that nature, instead I'd try to keep the wires within the wood and only have 3mm LED bulbs protruding through correctly sized holes, with a little resin to keep them in place. This way you won't get any resin dissolving your PVC insulation, provided you've got a long enough drill bit.

Also
https://youtu.be/7pLGqblTzhg
looks like a pretty interesting way of making the body, and will probably give you much more flexibility over the large scale of the guitar. Good luck!
>>
>>1195567
I'll probably do something similar to this just because doing it with layers will allow me to add more detail in each one.

I also think that just to try it out I'm just gonna make one out of normal wood first to figure out how it all goes together and then maybe I'll either sell it or take it apart and make another body. We'll have to wait and see
>>
I don't think this would scale and still look nice.
>>
>>1189898

I fucking want this. Where buy?
>>
>>1189898
>secret wood
>$165 USD

Fuck, nevermind, found them and that's far more than I'm willing to pay for a ring, no matter how badass. They lost out. If they had been far cheaper, I'd have probably bought four or five, likely exceeding that price, as Christmas or birthday gifts.
>>
>>1196043
Just wait for the Chinese to catch on.
>>
>>1196075
The Chinese aren't keen on anything they can't reproduce mechanically. Something like this is dozens of man hours.
>>
https://www.wish com/m/c/58c3c6d20b362f70c5b8c3c7?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=pla4&_display_country_code=US&gclid=CjwKEAjw7J3KBRCxv93Q3KSukXQSJADzFzVSDrq3-xTpzfmfE6Dbp5Q6NFJ34hTD9u7GLlnqoGNTuBoCAT7w_wcB
>>
>>1196010
'taking apart' epoxy thats bonded to wood or anything else like your lights or cables doesnt really work.

>>1196043
they're like 40 bucks on etsy
>>
>>1196101
>can't reproduce mechanically
Wanna bet?
>>
>>1196021
If it doesn't I could do something like the burl caps people suggested above or just do another cool design with resin and wood. There's loads of adaptations you could do with the 2 materials.
>>1196228
When I say "take apart" I mean take apart the mechanical pieces of the guitar and re-use them in the next one. I'd just be making this body out of normal wood to figure out how a guitar really goes together.
>>
Op, this is the channel for you.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLprpiNrh-8PcsZRE0scUc4wiVVbDK3RkI
>>
>>1191050
SG is best G
>>
>>1189939
You have to keep in mind you're dealing with a much larger piece that won't be viewed as close up. I wouldn't worry about a snow fall effect or even making sure the bubbles work themselves out. I'd go for something bigger and more dramatic like injected dye to create a pattern.
>>
>>1197329
I really liked the aurora borealis pattern up higher, was gonna try and replicate that actually. That's done with pigments as opposed to regular dyes, right?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.