[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I work in the concrete business and I was looking into nuclear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: pour.jpg (96KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
pour.jpg
96KB, 800x536px
I work in the concrete business and I was looking into nuclear shelter building using lead ore as an aggregate for radiation shielding. I haven't ever taken a concrete engineering course but I was wondering if using lead in place of a normal aggregate (gravel/rock) would compromise compression and tensile strength.
>>
>>1189772
Material Thickness (inches)
Lead 4
Steel 10
Concrete 24
Packed Dirt 36
Water 72
Wood 110

overkill with the lead.
>>
>>1189772
sarcophagus?
>>
>>1189772
Lead = $1 a pound scrap for general public. Better deals can be had. Bit it's getting hard to horde and outlawed in some states.

Better find some junk sailboat keels
>>
>>1189772
just stack bad car batteries outside your shelter
>>
>>1189805
Why bad? Stack good ones to double as actual batteries. Just make sure to regularly test your electricity for radiation.
>>
>>1189797
>Bit it's getting hard to horde and outlawed in some states.

Citation needed. Lead isn't hard to hoard either. Just fill shipping containers with scrap batteries. However....if you want to build real bunkers you could actually fucking study, wait for it, REAL BUNKERS of the military variety.

You don't need lead anyway. Shit's HazMat. Stop wanting it.

You can build perfectly reasonable shelters with reinforced concrete so do that. You can do precast bunker components and safe rooms the same way other precast items like septic tanks are poured. You can precast the surface interface as small military guard posts are made.

A precast tornado safe room module can be extended with other modules. You could affordably make metal forms for those or just use expendable wood. To succeed, copy success.

Image search "precast tornado shelters" and remember what you sell should fit on a flatbed or Landoll without being overwidth.
>>
http://applications.emro.who.int/imemrf/Iran_J_Radiat_Res/Iran_J_Radiat_Res_2007_5_3_143_146.pdf
>>
>>1189830
forgot to add I would still just recommend using a heavy clay as admix instead unless you happen to be building literally into a Galena deposit or some shit
>>
>>1189772
>>1189780
Why? It would be easier to cast bolts into concrete and bolt on lead plates to exterior/interior if building above ground, since it's very low temp and easy to cast you can pretty much cast your own by pouring into steel trays.
If building below ground, 3' of dirt is enough anyway.
>>
>>1189830
>>1189844
>Furthermore, the galena concrete samples had significantly higher compressive strength (500 kg/cm2 compared to 300kg/cm2)
>>
ok well sorry op but this is dumb as shit.
if you are close enough to have to seriously worry about fallout then you are close enough that your bunker is going to get completely buttfucked by the blast to begin with.

>>1189780
this is the thickness of each material in inches in order to reduce gamma radiation by a factor of 1000.
if you are under 3ft of dirt you are pretty much fucking sorted. seems much easier even trying to calculate the amount of lead or thickness of mix you need to compare with 4inch of solid lead.
just bury it 3ft and you are golden.

you need to worry much more about the blast, you need a real thick gravel bed and surround otherwise the shockwave is going to turn your bunker into dust.
>>
>>1189830
>Galena is a latin word given to lead ore or the dross from the melted lead
Guess he was right.
>>
>>1189772
During the day, I am a structural engineer, but at night I am an internet troll.

Lead is too soft for the compression expected in a 3000 or 4000 psi wall. I would do normal concrete with 3/4" aggregate or something similar, then line the walls with lead sheetrock used in x-ray suites at hospitals. Don't forget a french drain. The rebar in the walls will act as a Faraday cage, so that will help in protecting electronics.
>>
>>1189845
>2017
>caring about improving concretes compressive strength

awesome so now I can use it as a base for jackhammering other lesser concretes.

Add fiber like you are a vegan and stronger concrete is in your future.
>>
>>1189885
>lead is too soft
Lead ore, m8.
>>
>>1189895
If you have greater compression strength then
>it wont break if the ground shifts or earthquake happens
>longer lifetime
>unlikely to have major fractures in its later life
>>
>>1189885
>the rebar will act as a faraday cage
Didn't even think about this, might wrap rebar around the ceiling too because the EMP blast would come from above
>>
>>1189829
No citation. Maybe just sinkers and wheel weights are outlawed.

You have to precess all the batteries and shit. And i meant its hard to get massive quantities.

2 years and im only up to like 300 pounds of free ingots.
>>
>>1189885
>The rebar in the walls will act as a Faraday cage, so that will help in protecting electronics.
>a homemade bunker will survive the shockwave at a distance that will experience emp effects
no.rather than worry about shielding with lead you should line it with silk. since its essentially a coffin.
>>
>>1189906
You are describing tensile and shear strength anon, concrete has a notoriously terrible tensile and shear strength and that's why we use rebar or plastic/carbon fiber to reinforce it to the lateral forces present in earthquakes, wind and just the ground shoving it sideways.
Greater compressive strength will let you apply more force along the member so you can drive a giant truck over your home without turning it into a tiger trap or make it a million feet tall without crushing itself.
>>
>>1189772
It would be easier to just dig down further.
Let geometry and the earth do the work for you instead of mass.

nuclear:
If you're close enough to a strategic target that you need a shelter, you're probably dead anyway.
If you're far enough away from a strategic target that you would get benefit from a shelter, you'd be better served installing a sprinkler system on your roof and ensuring proper runoff. From there you only have to install a couple inches worth of material around the base of your house.

Most of the adverse effects of nuclear weapons are overhyped memes. As long as you stay indoors for the first 2-3 days and then follow the proper exposure limits, the only harm you'll receive is an increased risk of cancer (read: cancer at 70 instead of 75.)
>>
You need to get a copy of these documents.

I already have a copy of each. If you ask the correct questions I will give you the answers.
>>
>>1189832
>clay as admix

clay in concrete = bad.

Now say it with me
>concrete good
>clay bad
>clay concrete very bad
>>
>>1189901
The idea sounds intriguing, but I fear that the concentration of lead in the ore may not be enough to block any radioactive particles. A water-filled cavity around the exterior may be a better alternative to lead, but from what little bit I remember from NBC training, the real danger is radioactive particles in the air, soil, and water.
>>
>>1189772

Concrete works well for blocking radeation. You only need lead for things like thin walls at a hospital or blankets for dentists. Or a lead glass for nuclear fuel refining.
>>
>>1189885
>the rebar will act as a faraday cage

Learn some shit about rf, unless you got rebar packed like the screen in your microwave window it wont do shit for a faraday cage. The tighter you get it the higher the frequency it works for.
>>
>>1189772

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogenic_sulfide_corrosion
>>
>>1189845
>>1189895
The US cares about Iran caring about high strength concrete.

One of them wants to deliver bombs through such concrete, the other would prefer the concrete is strong enough to withstand the bombing.
>>
OP wants to sell shelters, presumably, so don't get stupid and do build them to profit. Lead won't add enough to matter and will make them expensive. Bury them and call it good.

Or is this just some stupid gay thought exercise OP will never build?

Build what sells. You don't need to be weird, or overly expensive. Lead is HazMat and any lead fabrication business will have a shitload of health and safety compliance issues for good reason so fucking stop with the lead.

Or just bury a shipping container.
>>
>>1190614
To be fair, it might act as a faraday cage for the brown note. So at least he won't be shitting his pants while the radiation cooks his innards.
>>
Mix in lead shot with your concrete for added protection.
>>
Im not op but id rather not make a new thread. A few questions i have
1. is the you have to wait 2 weeks and then the lands fine to resurface thing complete bs? seems like it is after looking at chernobyl and fukishima.
2. obviously the blast is designed to destroy, but how deep does it penetrate? ideal detonation is above land right (thinking about what i learned in hiroshima). so assuming i like about 25km away from my cities center should i only concern myself with the fallout?
3. obviously shipping containers wont work as a bunker, so would a poured cement structure be a bad idea? it would support the weight although idk about shocks and would act partially as a barrier to radiation.
4. assuming you're setting up with minimal costs whats the best way to recycle water? i get waste would probably be to use a hydroponics setup for growing fresh stuff (assuming you can relay solar unless a nuclear winters happened).

anything else ive missed maybe?
>>
>>1191242
If you do walk around, change shoes before entering your safe zone. Maybe a few layers of bread bags on them every time you go out and discard the first few layers.
>>
>>1189797
Steal the weights off of cars. You can probably get a quarter pound per car, much more if you can find large trucks or RVs
>>
>>1189772
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you need a solid plate of lead to shield against radiation.
Also cement is basically just a glue for aggregate and I don't think it will work well for lead (it will definitely not get the same compression strength)
>>
Put hollow walls around your base and fill them with water since that shit don't compress and catches radiation pretty good, do it there will be no problems in the future trust me I'm an expert in water walls PhD.
>>
>>1190614
My bad, you are correct.

Put a fucking shipping container in the ground.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.