[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

bought this knife at a garage sale. what's the best way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: nyf.jpg (694KB, 2193x2280px) Image search: [Google]
nyf.jpg
694KB, 2193x2280px
bought this knife at a garage sale.

what's the best way to remove rust?

the second blade doesn't even come out lol
>>
>>1189702
Just oil it and wiggle it around until the blade comes out, then use steel wool. That knife isn't that badly rusted.
>>
>>1189705
What sort of oil?
>>
>>1189702
Not sure if this would be safe for the acrylic handle, but my go-to rust removal is a vinegar soak.

I typically soak old steel/iron parts in a Tupperware of vinegar for about a week, agitating it daily. When it's done, there will be no rust and it also won't remove and existing steel. But as I said, I'm not sure if this would be safe on the plastic.
>>
>>1189702
Lol
>>
>>1189706
General houshold / sewing machine oil. Motor oil could also be used or crc/ wd40 or similar.

>>1189709
>vinegar

Good on ferrous metals but can wreck others. That whole knife looks to have a number of metals in it.
>>
>>1189702
Why did you buy this?

Serious because I have shit lying around I never suspected had value.
>>
>>1189722
no idea. felt like I wanted a knife.

I also bought a made in USA Gillette safety razor.

doing some light research I'm guessing it's a Fatboy? looks like pics related. together with the knife it was $2

it should be safe to use once I boil it and change the blade right? doesn't look like there is any rust or anything like that on it

is it hard to use these types of shavers. only ever used Gillette Mach 3s
>>
how much did you pay?
>>
>>1189727
>>1189735
$2 with the razor I described in the post above.

forgot to add a pic
>>
I have an old picket knife somewhere that I rescued from a quarter inch of standing water in a gutted fuse box.

First think I did was scrub it down with warm soapy water to knock off all the loose shit. After that I squirted the fuck out of it with WD40 and worked the blades and other moving parts loose. I dropped it in a bowl of CLR over night to soak, and scrubbed the rest of the rust off. After that, I resharpened it, and re-oiled it, and it was good as new

The blades were stainless, and most of the body was brass, so those came clean pretty easily. Some of the trim was just brass plated, and I think I fucked up the finish with the CLR, but it still looks alright. Biggest problem was that the springs on the back. Not sure what they were made of, but they were caked up pretty bad with rust. I actually ended up taking a small flat head screw driver and scrapping the inside of the knife until I got it all out.
>>
>>1189702
is it common to have that 'rough sawn plastic' handle? i've got a usa made jensen i got for $1 that looks similar (doesn't have the metal top)
>>
Diesel is very good for removing rust. Just put it in a bin with diesel over night, and it should loosen. Not sure how the other materials on the knife will react tho
>>
>>1189727
It's a barlow
>>
>try and take apart
>buy vinegar
>soak in there for while (couple weeks seems fine for that rust)
>cum back to check on it
>polish and post results
>???
>profit
>>
bzzzzzzzz
>>
File: GP1.jpg (777KB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
GP1.jpg
777KB, 2000x1500px
>>1189702
Buy a bottle called "The Must For Rust."
Dab rust with saturated q-tips.
Scrub until all cotton is dead and rust is gone.
It will take hours but it's how I fixed this mess.
>>
>>1189702
baking soda. I use it to clean coutlery
>>
Electrolysis

/thread
>>
>>1189702
tea will create an iron tanate reaction that will remove rust and protect the metal. mix with vinegar is usually rec
>>
>>1189738
I tried one of those when they stopped making my beloved Schick Tracer (assholes). Fuckers are too small/short for me. They shave OK and the blades are cheap but it just didn't work for me.
>>
>>1189712
lol
>>
>>1189738
Purdy
>>
>>1190831
don't /thread your own post. It makes you look ignorant.
>>
>>1189702
hydrochloric acid
citric acid (crystals or just lemon juice)
vinegar
mix vinegar with citric acid crystals
>>
>>1189702
Soak it in evapo-rust
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.