[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I found a shitty old TV with an interesting defect. Pic related.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: tv.jpg (643KB, 1396x692px) Image search: [Google]
tv.jpg
643KB, 1396x692px
I found a shitty old TV with an interesting defect. Pic related. You turn in on and all that shows up is a thin line, usually greenish in color. I love the creepy aesthetic of it glowing in the dark and would like to fill a whole room with TVs like this as part of a set design.

What causes this? Is there a way I could reliably reproduce this effect in another TV?

Basically, if I get some more shitty, ancient TVs, what should I cut/smash/pull to cause this exact malfunction?
>>
Vertical deflection failure. If you let it run it will burn a line in the phosphor which will always be visible on the picture.

To reproduce simply cut one wire to the vertical yoke connections.
>>
i had a tv that had brightness knob, color and something else, cant remember but if you turned it all the way you would get that result exactly.
>>
>>1189089

be advised
if handled improperly this monitor will blow up and might lodge thick shards of glass in your face
>>
>>1189104
This. Don't fuck with CRTs unless you know exactly what you are doing.
>>
Thanks for all the input so far!
Goggles and general safety measures aside, is there anything in particular I should/shouldn't do if I don't want to eat glass? Aside from not doing it at all.
>>
>>1189108
various combinations of lasers, motors, mirrors, phosphorescent paint?
>>
>>1189104
As a kid me and a few other kids beat the shit out of an old TV, we broke some kind of tube on the end and it exploded and started leaking some kind of gas and we all bailed.

I'm probably going to develop lung cancer or something in 10 years now.
>>
>>1189104
Not only that you can also get fried by touching the wrong parts.
>>
>>1189129
>>1189123
>You could also die in bed

>>1189108
>if I don't want to eat glass?
Just don't smash the thing or cop 25kv up your arm. They are not that bad if due care is followed.

>T. TV tech from the 90s
>>
>>1189104
>>1189123
CRT TVs don't explode. They implode. There's a vacuum inside.

>>1189108
Learn how to discharge a CRT TV before working on it. The voltage is deadly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Discharge-a-CRT-Monitor

Google some vids too.
>>
>>1189089
Maybe that a faggot has closed the variable resistor for vertical deflection. This would be a simple repair. Otherwise the deflection coils get no input voltage caused by an dfective transistor or circuit. So You must obtain the schematic to fix this. Don't forget, this are high voltages in this area, and can kill You, I get sweat on my forehead when I look to Your desk
>>
>>1189153
Imploding CRTs have the same effect to Your face, You have to remove the glass shards out of Your skull, if You survive
>>
>>1189432
yeah if you use your skull to implode the CRT
>>
>>1189090
my mom's TV did this on the upper screen recently
>>
>>1189432
The only real danger is breathing the fumes.
>>
>>1189089
i remember when i was a kid we just smacked the tv when it got like that and it solved the problem, yes i'm mexican, lol!
>>
>>1189089
>What causes this? Is there a way I could reliably reproduce this effect in another TV?
Vertical transistor has failed. Bypass vertical resistor in other CRT TV.

Want to see something cool? Take a magnet to it and bend that line all over the place, with colorful effects, too!
>>
>>1189490
What fumes? Isn't it a vacuum?
>>
>>1191132
it is, but the broken shards of glass and the metal mask floating about disturb the phosphor powder that the electron beam hits to generate the image. the powders tend to be made of exotic\toxic compounds. you'd probably have to snort lines of the stuff to really hurt yourself.
>>
>>1189153
Don't forget to discharge them, it can be very painful, speaking from experience
>>
https://www.moma.org/collection/works/128652
>>
>>1189153
>>1189429

not deadly, painful, injurious, but not deadly.

People need to understand electricity's effect on the body better.
>>
File: 20170522_143644.jpg (6KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
20170522_143644.jpg
6KB, 120x120px
>>>/x/19144361
>>
I used to have a shitty little Sanyo TV that ended up doing this, along with the occasional black lines. I found that hitting it in a certain spot would generally always fix it.
>>
To reproduce that image you could rather than tamper with the tv's themselves you should be able to just have that image of the line as the output. Maybe sent from a computer or perhaps recording the image onto videotapes and hooking up video tape players to the tv's. you could add effects to the line that way also, like a ripple moving across all the tvs to represent speech or something else. get me?
>>
>>1193048

This is a far superior idea to finding a dozen different old TV's and figuring out how to break all of them in the exact same way.

You can get an analog NTSC/PAL output converter for a PC for less than $20. YOu can also get a 4 or 8 way amplifier/splitter for another $20/30 and you're set.
>>
you can make the line move to music somehow... Don't ask me how thought....
Just saw it on old pictures
>>
>>1192640
op is a true artìst
>>
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-A-CRT-TV-Into-an-Oscilloscope/
>>
>>1193234
bullshit, its easy. just clip the vertical deflection coil in the yoke like other dude said. done.
>>
>>1189123
We're on /diy/ most of us will die thanks to shit we inhale in the trades
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.