[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just inherited a shops worth of old tools. Quite a lot of it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Capture.png (641KB, 663x591px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
641KB, 663x591px
I just inherited a shops worth of old tools. Quite a lot of it is metalworking and automotive tools. They were put away covered in oil and had sat for 20 years collecting dust. They are filthy. Very little rust, just dirt and grim. I have tried cleaning some of the stuff with a sponge, bucket, and simple green and it just makes a mess. The water becomes unusable after only a few minutes.

Has anyone used those shop wipes for stuff like this? Any options on some that are good but not $20+ a tub? Would they even be suitable for what I am trying to do?
>>
>>1188225
stuff without plastic/rubber - toss and scrub in a bucket of gasoline

shouldn't have to say this but do it outside and don't smoke.

dump the used gas out into a tray to evaporate, scrape the sludge into some old newspaper and trash it.
>>
>>1188228
The simple green worked pretty well at removing the stuff. The problem was I have to use a ton of it. First, I tried sponges and they just gunked up and become unusable. I switched to a nylon brush and that worked better. First, I would dunk the tool in a bucket of simple green and water. That turned the water black pretty quick and then to sludge. Instead, I would splash the tool in with a simple green dilution (1 to 10 IIRC), scrub, rinse with a hose, repeat 1 or 2 more times and call it good. That added up fast. I went through a gallon of simple green and several buckets of water. I tried standard shop rags. Basically thicker paper towels. They couldn't cut the grime

So, I figured I looked into baby wipes for tools. It seems they do make them but they are a bit pricey and I don't know how well they will work.
>>
>>1188228
This
>>
>>1188284
Use Dawn Ultra dish soap. Shit works amazing as a degreaser if you let it soak in a bit.
>>
>>1188284
This is why you are being told to use gasoline. It does not loose efficacy as it gets dirtier. Stop overthinking and get some shit done already.
>>
>>1188284
You want to be careful with water based cleaners, make sure to dry everything very well and apply a rust preventative again. I normally spray with wd-40 and wipe it off.
>>
Put em in the dishwasher. Use a pressure washer.
>>
>>1188225
Use gas and apply a light coat of oil afterwards as rust proofing. It's not that hard.
>>
So, does anyone know of any good tool cleaning rags? I'm still gonna needs some for the tools that can't be put in gasoline.
>>
>>1188403
Just sell them already. If you're this stupid, all you are going to do is end up hurting yourself with the tools...
>>
>>1188403
Use old t shirts and socks.
>>
Call a local commercial laundry. Alsco, cintas, something like that. There are tons of local ones as well. If you pay more than 1.50 a pound you are getting raped. Since you are a one time deal they probably would be fine at 1 dollar a pound. Tell them you want to buy rag out blankets or towels. If a guy called me I'd just give him a bag full sized garbage bag for 20 bucks. Probably forty or fifty pounds. Some laundries don't have rag guys who buy them and just Chuck a towel in the trash for a small hole.
>>
File: you_fail[1].jpg (75KB, 737x459px) Image search: [Google]
you_fail[1].jpg
75KB, 737x459px
I went to walmart and bought the cheapest tool cleaning wipes I could find. They work great. I just wipe the tools down and it takes off all the surface crap that built up while they were sitting out. I can just throw them away when done. Super easy.

Thanks for nothing, tards. Not a single one of you answered the questing I asked. Maybe you guys should stick to making pallet furniture and arguing about shipping containers. Picture related.
>>
>>1188893
Why bother asking a diy board if you were just going to shill out before even trying?
>>
>>1188893
I'm glad he died...
>>
>>1188893
>Thanks for nothing, tards. Not a single one of you answered the questing I asked

so what are these then?
>>1188425
>>1188428

one's free and one's cheap
>>
File: 1491773227079.gif (63KB, 800x815px) Image search: [Google]
1491773227079.gif
63KB, 800x815px
>>1188893
What a jackass.
>>
>>1188906
>>1188909
>>1188915
>>1188918
Hahaha you little cucks are trieing so hard its adorable lol
>>
File: ralph-wiggum-im-helping[1].jpg (22KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ralph-wiggum-im-helping[1].jpg
22KB, 500x375px
>>1188906
I asked because I wanted a recommendation. None were provided, so I bought what was cheapest. If you had an opinion on what wipes I should have gotten you should have said something. I didn't even mention a brand so I don't see how that is shilling. I picked wally world because they had some in stock and they were cheapest. Generally, I don't shop there because they treat their employees like shit.

>>1188915
I wanted something that was readymade, fairly cheap, and was easy to clean up after. I was told to spend $20 on old laundry (already more than a cost of a tub of wipes), which I can only assume they wanted me to soak in gasoline based on the other replies in this thread. I tell you right now, there was no way in hell I was going to use gasoline and have to deal with that smell and cleanup afterward. It's not like these things were frozen solid by grime. It was just surface nastiness and it came right off with a wipe.

>>1188918
It was more like my picture than yours. I asked for a specific product recommendation and got told to buy someone's old underwear and huff gasoline. This is 4chan, but still.

>>1188921
That is a little much.
>>
>>1188931
>I asked for a specific product recommendation and got told to buy someone's old underwear and huff gasoline.
inarguably sound advice tho, and that for damn near every problem known to Man.
>>
>>1188931
>I asked for a specific product recommendation and got told to buy someone's old underwear and huff gasoline.
I think we have found the new /DIY/ banner.
>>
>>1188931
>huff gasoline
you fell for the make crystals thing didn't you?
>>
>>1188931
>I wanted something that was readymade, fairly cheap, and was easy to clean up after
Gasoline or kerosene
They both evaporate rapidly and leave little residue
>I was told to spend $20
You were told to dunk your old tools in about $2 worth of gasoline/ kerosene or solvent and then wipe them down with an old sock or any patch of old cotton.
>so I bought what was cheapest.
So you bought brand name new consumables, instead of DIY them for free.
>>
>>1188971
>They both evaporate rapidly and leave little residue
And all the shit they would be cleaning off? Where is that going? It is not oil. It is mostly dirt. The tools sat in a barn for 20 years and collected a half inch of dust over them in places. It mixed with the oil and became a filthy crust. The drill bits were the worst. I had to scrub that shit off with a nylon brush. They were well oil and maintained and grandad left them coated with enough oil to keep them protected for a season or two. It just so happened it ended up being a decade or two. I am mostly done cleaning them now and not having to fuck around with gas fumes and a leftover bucket full of leavings has been a real plus.

>wipe them down with an old sock or any patch of old cotton.
Which would work for one or maybe two tools before it turned something like a tar mop. I tried this with other cleaners, which took the gunk off well enough, but just filled the buckets I was using to soap and rinse the tools with muck. It was just a mess. I needed something I could soil and toss, like a baby wipe. The tub came with 120 10x12 rags in it and I've used most of them. Read the thread next time before you pull a Wiggam and 'help' some more.
>>
Op do ya know any one who is a mechanic at a local small shop? Or maybe the owner themselves? I bet they have a parts washer that a 12 pack would allow ya to rent for a few hours? Inversely go buy a bucket of solvent and a 5 dollar aquarium pump. Pour off half
..fill with tools top off and put the bubbler in there. They would almost clean themselves.
>>
>>1188942
THIS
>>
>>1189554
I'd do it myself if I could find a banner making site that didn't put watermarks all over everything. Or a free, easy to use image editor that could do text outlines (not Paint.net).
>>
use a purple degreeser it is concentrated and pretty cheap. you can get generic or purple power they are the same. its like soap.
>>
>>1188225
soap and water is too good for you, or what?
>>
>>1188403
Mechanic and machinist here. I use my old T-shirts. Any cotton rag works fine.
>>
>>1188225
Gasoline, acetone, lacquer thinner...
>>
WD 40. Cleans and protects.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.