[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /diy/ I'm restoring an old computer case that has rust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170604_033558[1].jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_033558[1].jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
hey /diy/

I'm restoring an old computer case that has rust on it. The initial plan was to sand, apply primer and then paint. After sanding some of the old paint, however, the metal turned out to be really beautiful. Now I'd like to keep that clear metal look, but I'm confused as how to proceed, as I couldn't find any transparent primers to apply a opaque lacquer on.

I've tried searching but found conflicting suggestions for the matter. Some recommended boiled linseed oil, others recommended car wax. I live in a high humidity environment, so coating is somewhat important. I was thinking about applying the lacquer straight after sanding them.

How should I proceed?
>>
>>1187950
wd40
>>
restoring a computer case seems like the worst idea.

sand blast
hand sand
electrolysis
wd 40
if you want to coat it powder coating is what will give you the best finish
>>
>>1187952
looking for a more permanent solution
>>1187953
Isn't there a simpler way? Electrolysis is overkill.
>>
>>1187959
i gave you 4 ways though. wd 40 it first then hand sand
>>
>>1187964
oh, I see
how long will the coating last, though? doesn't wd40 dry up after a while?
>>
>>1187965
petroleum jelly
>>
>>1187965
powder coating? it lasts forever.
wd40? use it to remove the rust mainly but even if it dries just put more on it. Where do you live? Brazil? maybe get a dehumidifier. My reverse cycle has a feature for that built in (not that i ever use it (australia))
>>
just sand it to bare metal and clearcoat it. its not fuckin rocket science.. sheesh
>>
>>1188079
that's what I would do
>>
>>1187950

Dont need primer to apply a clearcoat.

Use a 2k urethane topcoat. They make rattle cans that have a 2nd part contained in a breakable compartmentalized chamber on the bottom, like 20 bucks search "2k urethane topcoat clear"

do NOT cover it in oil. In fact, make sure to degrease the fuck out of it, first with a warm Krud Kutter soak, then Acetone.

After Spraying and recommended cure time use a qtip to put a dab of machine oil on the hinges.

Use synthetic wool #00 to put the texture lines under the topcoats, then do a #000 between coats and a #000 or #000 so it's not silly glossy at the end.

good luck muh bru
>>
>>1188106

Update: is it magnesium? there are magnesium specialty products available..

also meant to say #0000 for the deglossing step.
>>
>>1188079
OP here, I've never done painting besides walls so this is new to me
I was afraid it would rust again if I only applied clearcoat

I'll probably do it tomorrow, will post pics
>>
>>1187950
Geologists use hair varnish to protect hydroiscopic crystals. That might work in your case too.
>>
>>1188106
This

We make a lot of plate steel accents at work. Once you sand it/polish it down and clean it up. Lacquer it,haven't had any rust show up yet. Well interior wise atleast.

Even with an epoxy clear coat our exterior stuff does seem to rust eventually.
>>
>>1187950
try one of these clear coats for wheels (steel/aluminum/plastic)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT4ARA/ref=asc_df_B003CT4ARA5015302/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B003CT4ARA&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198071503086&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5010160442946400620&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027192&hvtargid=pla-319515627349
>>
>>1187950
A clear powdercoat will be toughest.
Lacquer isn't that tough, but will be by far the clearest (it will stay looking wet and glasslike).
Epoxy (or acrylic) spray isn't really any tougher than lacquer (though it is more chemically resistant) and won't be as clear.
Urethanes will all be slightly yellow, and I've not found any that stick to metal all that well. They always peel/crack/flake eventually.
>>
>>1188107
>Update: is it magnesium? there are magnesium specialty products available..
Nobody makes tower cases out of magnesium. Only a very few cases are even aluminum. 98% bet says boring old mild steel sheet.
>>
>>1188206
I got a can of acrylic resin that is meant for bricks and floors. Can it be applied on metal?
>>
I just used gun oil on mine lmao works like a charm.
>>
>>1188214
You can apply it to anything you want. Will it look good on that? No. It will look like you smeared mucus on it.
>>
>>1188210
I thought the purpose of that was because you run the grounding through it and it produces a bit of a faraday cage effect.
>>
>>1188153
>I was afraid it would rust again if I only applied clearcoat

well, what do you think protects the paint on your car? if the paint wont come off then the metal wont rust
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.