[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im making a gun stock and i have this beautiful piece of maple.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_8128.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8128.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Im making a gun stock and i have this beautiful piece of maple. Ive been sanding it down and had set it down for a week or so and there are dark streaks in the grain. I think its dirt but ive been sanding the hell out of it and it wont sand out. How can i clean it?
>>
>>1187708
Oh it's possibly a reaction with steel wool if you used it at the end of your first sanding process. Also, planer (they's expensive) or a wood scraper? I have no experience with the tools, but keep in mind if you've been sanding that the abrasive materials get on the wood so you don't want to rework with tools what you've been sanding.
>>
>>1187708
Did you use steel wool or an oxide paper?
It looks like spot rusting.

Use bar keepers friend. Make a paste, apply and let sit for a few hours, then remove usibg a synthetic sanding pad .

Repeat till gone.
>>
Steel wool shpuld only be used after you seal to stock.

It sheds fiders bad.

Brass wool or synthetic are the way to go.
>>
>>1187708
I've used a lot of steel wool on maple, and I haven't seen it do this. That being said, it does look like that could be it... If you didn't use steel wool it looks kind of like mold. Before you go crazy, take a little of the finish you're planning on using and just dab a bit on a spot that's discolored. It may turn "wood colored" and not really be noticable. Do you know anything about where the stock blank came from? Was it down a while before it got cut into blanks?
>>
>>1187722
It shouldn't be used on raw, unfinished wood.

If you have used it in the past abd sealed it soon after it would have prevented any rusting.

In this case OP left the wood raw for a while. In high humidity it can lead to rusting quickly.
>>
>>1187708
That's a natural occurance in the piece of maple...and is not something you will 'sand out', you can try to bleach it out, but that doesn't work most of the time either...
>cabinetmaker for 26 years...
>>
>>1187708
It looks like discoloration from steel wool to me. I built a guitar with a maple neck recently and did some sanding with steel wool, and some areas were discolored like that. I ended up going over the wood with some really high grit sand paper to get rid of most of it. The rest just is only view able at certain angles due to the polyurethane that I put over it. If you're going to stain the wood, I think it's not going to be noticeable at all.
>>
>>1187739
Streaks developed after he sat it aside for a week.
>>
>>1187708
I thought this was a picture of a really fucked up veiny leg at first
>>
>>1187708
What the hell have you been sanding it with, 36 grit??
>>
>>1187739
Some people use Oxalic acid to bleach woods like holly.

By a coincidence, I am planning on making a new stock for a nice over under shoot gun made in Austria that has a damaged stock from cocobolo.
>>
>>1188379
Get the straightest grain you can. I did a nice stock using fiddlebacked walnut. Looked great, but cracked after 3 years of good trap use.

It thought me a lot about wood selection for shotgun stocks

You want as little figure in the wrist and as possible, or figure as parallel to the bores as possible in the area. The comb can be figured anyway you want. But the wrist , with highly perpendicular figure is not as strong.
>>
God damn every time I scroll past this image in the catalog it looks like an arm with some skin disease.
>>
>>1187802
Forearm of a junkie over here..
>>
>>1188499
It could be worse. /k/ had some picture of a particularly ugly tranny as the OP picture in one of their generals. Scrolling past that was fucking awful, then I realized I could hide the thread.
>>
>>1188499

being white isn't a disease you shit
>>
looks like an arm
>>
THINK O THE CHILLIUNS
>>
>>1187708
Its spalting, happens when blue stain fungi get into the timber.
If you give it a darker stain later on it will probably hide most of it
>>
>>1187708
acetone washes wood.
after that use an oil tinted or not
then dry it and paint with oil based clear coat
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.