[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>pic unrelated, I have no image relateable to topic I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 1306483606126.jpg (148KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1306483606126.jpg
148KB, 500x667px
>pic unrelated, I have no image relateable to topic

I've been melting down scrap metal for a while now and have about a ton of 1 and 5 pound bars that I'd like to start selling.

I've been asked a question by a local complex that may want to buy the metal. But he needs to know exactly what kind of metal it is. For the most part, my scrap is aluminum. But I know there are several batches that ended up with tin, copper, and other alloy sources.

How do I check the bars and know exactly whats in it?
>>
you're real dumb and are going to have to sell it for the tin price
>>
>>1186893
You'd have to ask the guy what level of assurance he needs. He might be ok with your guessimation or he may want certified tested sampling.
>>
>>1186894
Hey, there's that kid.

>>1186895
I'm thinking that's the case, but I'd still like to know for the future. Is there a chemical test? Do I cut a small bit and drop it in something that tells me percentages?
>>
>>1186899
The kid is right. I dabble is scrap from time to time, and if there's a question of what metal it is, the buyer will only pay tin price. There is ways to test percentages, but scrap buyers don't do that. They pay what they believe it is. Next time, just stick to separating the metals, and take them in sorted. That's your best bet.

Currently chopping wrecked truck for scrap. Guess what, I have piles sorted by metal types. Cast aluminum, sheet aluminum, steel, insulated wire, and I'll have a copper bucket.
>>
>>1186899
I'm no metallurgist or chemist but I'd think to know the full level and makeup of impurities you'd be looking at mass spectrometry.

My guess is every different metal you would want to test for would have its own chemical solution needed. Probably a lot of strong acids and really hazardous shit. You'd take a chunk of test metal, weight it, put it in solution 1 that would dissolve x metal, take it out, weight it again, put it in solution 2, weight it again, etc.
>>
>>1186914
Spectrometry is correct, last time I used an outside service it was like $120, but it was expeditedni think, and yo need that per "heat number" since you dont have is per ingot.

i rum the espectrometer on a foundry shop, and thats the only way to know.
>>
>>1186918
>Spectrometry
Thanks, there is a place local that will do that. Appreciated.
>>
>>1186893
Portable XRF analysis.
Any decently large scrap yard should have a unit.
>>
>>1186962

This, Niton gun should be all he needs. Any decent scrap yard has one.

Why the fuck would you melt it together? pure metals are obviouisly going to bring more than what you made. You have essentially made your own "pot metal"

You are going to get Zinc/Die-cast price for it.
>>
I see these threads all the time.
anon spends on energy required to melt metal to get lower price when scrapping
esp: melt beverage cans for 'aluminum ingots'
beverage cans are subsidized by the beverage industry as a form of "deposit" to encourage returns and are worth more by weight than aluminum
>using time an money to lower profits
>>
>>1186960
Dude it wil be like $120 per sample, you will be losing money, unless you are selling gold or uranium it's not worth it.
>>
I don't know were you live but in Australia you sell 1kg of copper for $6-5 and they will not even take aluminium in most places.
If you are melting down cans with fuel you buy out of pocket your probably gonna be almost losing money.
It's only 20c to $1.50 per kg
>>
>>1186893
You take a slice from a few bars from each batches and take it in to the complex or a nearby university with a spectrometer and measure the contents. Take the measurements with the batch IDs and you have validated scrap premelts.
>>
>>1186893
Also if you plan to continue try to invest into cheaper handheld spectrometer (Thermo XRF or Matech spark OE) to determine the various scraps so you can melt them in their respective alloy batches and you can sell even higher. Instead of scrap premelts you will have validated alloy premelts which will sell 10x or more (depending on the alloy)
Plates and rolled products from aluminium sells very high because clean Al needed to set proper alloy ratios.
Also unlike the others I am an actual material sciences engineer. Spectrometers are needed to validate your products, no matter what.
>>
>>1188124
Most states dont have a deposit program.
>>
1 ton isn't worth assaying. It's not an impressive amount.

Sell it then stop doing silly shit with scrap other than collection and delivery to buyers unless you just want to melt it for autism.

4chan has many people fascinated with melting metal but that activity is just a time waster. Get scrap, sell scrap, get paid, repeat. Hoarding delishus bars to jizz on is a fine fetish though. Caress the ingot, lick the ingot, be the ingot!

Scrap price for common metals isn't high at the moment due to low demand and that's unlikely to change for years. It's not profitable to disassemble non-commercial vehicles for scrap either which is why recyclers send them to a shredder after crushing (which is to fit more hulks on a flatbed trailer). Large commercial trucks and some vans with aluminum bodies can be exceptions.
>>
>>1188613
Stupid.
You buy a car you can be sure it was made from recycled scrap. If you know how to properly recycle metal you can make a lot of money. Actually most pre-melt manufacturers do this, they buy the scrap, make the proper alloys and sell it to make BMW engine blocks. It is how things work, OP is doing something interesting but needs to read up on metallurgy. The ASM handbook can help, there are some torrents of copies of it.
Someone I know started just like this 20 years ago, now he has the biggest complex in the region and is building the second one in the next region.
>>1186893
OP, don't give up, educate yourself, you can do lots if you push it more.
Fortuna Gratis!
>>
You fucked up by not separating anything.
>>
>>1188649
Right, which is fine if OP is actually making anything, but he isn't, the stupid fuck
>>
>>1188609
>Most states dont have a deposit program.

and that's why the beverage and aluminum industry pay extra for recycled beverage cans.

A deposit for anything is to encourage the purchaser to return the item to a recycle/rebate location instead of tossing it.
Paying above the scrap aluminum rate for cans is done to make the same encouragement.
>>
>>1188649
Of course scrap is reused. I never said nor implied it isn't. The point is melting your own is RARELY cost effective for less than industrial scale. You DO understand there's a difference between fucking about at home and cost effective commercial level production?

Scrap in CONUS is so low my local scrap yard closed for several weeks because their rather large storage area was full and demand so low. I recently scrapped a complete Chevy Lumina I got free and dragged in for 65 dollars since it was on my wrecker and I didn't feel like storing it. They apologized because the market was such a shock to regular scrappers.

The objective of business is profit and scrap yards are profitable without expending the energy to melt onsite. Sorting, compacting, crushing etc take far less energy. OP should do what smart businessmen to and run the numbers to KNOW if melting will be profitable instead of just doing it. Numbers don't lie and he can play the market.

When scrap was high enough there was an outfit who sold portable aluminum melting furnaces with grates to separate part like the ferrous leftovers from melting aluminum cylinder heads. I don't know their fate but if you've cheap/free fuel and a steady supply of automotive castings it could eventually be a money maker when demand goes up. If you have enough volume for ingots that could pay off, but aluminum is cheap at the moment.

http://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-metal-prices/united-states

Much love for scrapping on my part but only if I make a profit.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.