[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much money would you save by buying entire coils of metal?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 186
Thread images: 14

File: C-Coil-Lifting-Hook.jpg (140KB, 309x392px) Image search: [Google]
C-Coil-Lifting-Hook.jpg
140KB, 309x392px
How much money would you save by buying entire coils of metal?

I'm planning a massive aluminum sailboat project and because aluminum is so pricey and I'll need a steel building to be a workshop for the project anyway, I'm considering buying coils.

I have a few questions, like how thick can metals be sold in coils?

What about plate thickness? I'd really like to cut costs there
>>
>>1186612
I'm familiar with aluminum rolls, work at a few different mills. You do know how big the fuckers are, right? You have what you need to handle them?
>>
>>1186612
coil is for cable
sheet comes in rolls
any sheet thickness you could roll up, plate you can't that the difference.
bulk buying may not necessarily get you better prices above a small amount. potentially delivery costs could be optimised.

if you want a quote ask a company for one.
>>
>>1186612
Unless you're building a cruise liner, the overhead for storing/handling/shipping bulk rolls of aluminum will far exceed the money you're saving from buying bulk
>>
>>1186788
I can realize OP kicking it and roll kicking back
>>
We will sell you a coil. No problem.
You do have a lift or gantry that can handle 40,000lbs.... and the room for a 52ft semi trailer to get in, right?
>>
>>1186788

Fuck no. Yea they are big.

>>1186790

I've heard them used interchangeably.

>>1186834

The plan is buying land close to a river dredged by the Corp of Engineers so I can launch a homebuilt yacht. I'm talking about an enormous /diy/ undertaking because I'm tired of sitting around holding my dick.

And I would plan to ship them myself and buy on site. Probably two rolls max at a time.

>>1186838

KEK if I record that I'm sure liveleak would love it

>>1186843

Heavy duty truck towing a custom trailer.
YALL KNOW HOW MUCH PEOPLE CHARGE TO CUT SHEET METALS?!

Im trying to /diy/.

I'd like a 100 foot metal sailboat I made myself before I die. At the very least it'd be a hell of a Viking funeral
>>
>>1186889
Probably step 1 is diy your own drydock.
>>
>>1186908

Nope, step 1 is making sure the land wont swallow the foundations.

I live in a floodplain.

Also, can you even buy plate thickness in rolls?
>>
>>1186612
Steelworker here. You're a fucking retard, OP.
>>
>>1186929

OP here.

I am not talking about steel.

I mean aluminum
>>
>>1186612
coil ? u retarded? how do you want move a fcking coil not mention to rotate and cut it? u need a bigg ass waorkshop the size of factory building just to prepare the metal not to mention all the special equipment will go in milions its like building a fcking shipyard and then build a boat, one boat!
why dont you just order sheets in the size you need?
>because aluminum
thats the dumbest reason i ever heard, u will blow more money on the worksop itself then the baot
>>
If OP were serious he's be on serious boatbuilding and metal fabrication forums. There's no reason for him to ask here.

If OP were serious he'd have built enough smaller boats to answer any and all fab questions before tackling a 100-footer.

If OP were serious he'd know you can order your hull plates waterjetted to size and shape per your CAD drawings and he'd not be asking about coiled products.

If OP were serious he'd either be a marine architect or hire one and wouldn't need to ask /diy/.

OP, what is your favorite process for welding aluminum boat hulls and why? What is your training and experience welding? If none, what is your plan to get gud?

He's shitposting, end of story.
>>
>>1186994
he would really only need a spindle for the coil to turn on and a couple rollers to straighten it out, right?
>>
>>1187014
the roll is like 3 tons ? kek, sure with muscle power he can
>>
>>1187018
Gears, lots of gears.
With enough gears he can unroll it by hand, it will take you a long time to unroll it an inch.
>>
>>1187018
3 tons.... naw son 20tons is our standard
>>
>>1186612
U really wanna save money op?

Get you a foundry built.

Build a log splitter / can bailer.

Melt all the old shit u can into pickup loads of ingots.

Have a factory make u plates or sheet.
>>
>>1187018
3 tons is nothing. You can buy used heavy equipment that moves 3 tons easily. I'd imagine a small 10 ton excavator lifts 3 tons?

>>1187080
20 is a different story...
>>
>>1187187

I can't just use aluminum cans, the hull has to be homogeneous to prevent electrolysis and a certain alloy.

>>1186997

I have been there. They pay people to cut the rolls for them. I'm sure you can /diy/ a coil hook and chain pully system with welding junkyard scrap that way it cuts out a middle man. With a project THIS big it'll be decades of work so a little /diy/ will save a TON of cash. Itll be expensive but no different than paying a mortgage.

>>1186908

I was thinking of launching it by sliding it the river, maybe using the bigass windlasses to pull it into the river by chaining them to trees on the other side of the river.

I'd build it BULLETPROOF in case I hit a reef, so sliding through mud into the barge channel won't hurt it. It wont have a deep v hull, and it'll have a swing keel.

Even for a 100 footer, it could still have a draft of 3-4 feet.

I'm concerned about how to fabricate the mast rigging so I can lower the mast to pass under bridges.

I have put a LOT of thought into it.

Dirt cheap land in the delta, next to a river that's dredged regularly for barge traffic, etc.

>>1186790
So you can't buy 1/4th-1/5th rolls of plate aluminum??

That's where I really want to cut costs.

A 4x12 sheet of plate aluminum I need is like $800 and I'm trying to save money there.

And Rhino Marine software is like 2 grand!!! But it calculates so much info its probably worth it.

Yes this is no different than building a home. Its a decades long project for me to retire on and see the world.

Even buy buying rolls of canvas and sewing my own sails I'd spend a few grand but save 20 grand.

Come on, guys. Don't ruin the dream!!

I'm looking for experienced people with knowledgeable info about handling aluminum rolls and making plate aluminum as affordable as I can.
>>1186994

It'd be a dirt cheap steel building I could also use as a home. Basically a house with a HUGE garage.
>>
>>1186994

I could lease the building out to people to recoup those losses. Factories can sell.
>>
>>1186997

Oh I know I can CAD it and maximize the efficiency of using the plates. There is software for it.

I'm not as ignoramus as you think
>>
What about 1/2-5/8ths plates?

What can a /diy/er do to make it easier on the wallet short of building a foundry with rollers??
>>
>>1187577
Plate is 6mm or thicker.

It does not come on rolls.
>>
>>1186889
>implying you could afford just the fuel for a yacht

Water is really thick.
>>
>>1187577
Build a wooden boat. Sheet it in fibreglass
>>
>>1187728
Not as thick as op. I can't believe this half whit cum dumpster thinks he's going to diy a factory just to diy a boat. He's probably 14
>>
Let him try and fail. It will be funny.
>>
This is one of those questions that if you have to ask it on a DIY forum, that means you are not qualified to start the project.

>I'm going to build a house. Are hammers with hickory handles any good? I found an old rusty one in my uncle's shed, lol.
>I want to build a four storey ice castle. What kind of shovel is best for shovelling snow?
>I'm going to build a maglev train between Earth and Mars. How many carpenters do I need to hire?

Don't mean to be a killjoy, I just don't want you to end up buying lots of shit for what will become half-started project.
>>
>>1187725

Ah! Thank you so much. That helps a lot. No clue how I can cut costs on it aside from where I buy it.

>>1187728

Wind is free and canvas rolls are cheap enough

>>1187734

ERB gets very brittle in cold climates. Its an epoxy thing. IIRC that's why the most dangerous parts of yacht races are in the Southern Ocean.

>>1187750

Its not a factory. It would be a dirt cheap metal building with /diy/ rails to support /diy/ coil hooks, along with regular tools like hand grinders and welders.

>>1187763

Don't worry, I won't. I've done more research than people think.

I just don't know much about the intricities of buying metal.

I also chose aluminum because I don't really need a factory, aluminum doesn't rust so I can build it outside over the course of years. But if metal buildings are cheap enough, I'd have little reason not to have one.
>>
>>1187734

OK OK OK

Because ERG/GRP gets brittle in cold climates IS ACTUALLY the deal breaker.

I'm not rich, I'll save for dirt cheap land and live in a pop up camper. That's the plan. But I'll need a project to keep me busy and stuff.

So ATM I am seriously considering a boat. And IF I ever get a boat, if I want to go and pet penguins in Antarctica I want to be able to do it!! That's why metal is my choice.

I'm preferring aluminum over steel because it doesn't rust. Unless there's some super alloy steel I don't know about.

What the fuck kind of paint do icebreaker ships use?! Holy shit that is a good question I need to know these things because steel might be better
>>
I work for a company that processes steel and aluminum coils. The problem is, coils are not just opened up and cut to length. They are passed through a series of rollers that stretch and level the material to remove the memory from being coiled up tightly.
>>
>>1187925
Have you heard of stainless steel?
>>
>>1187925
https://subind.net/coating-systems/product/19/ecospeed

This stuff!
>>
>>1187925
Even though this is a retarded thread from an idiot, I'm going to chime in here, as someone that's spent half their life afloat. Licensed Chief Engineer, also hold a Mates license.

Aluminum, while it may not rust, is subject to a number of other forms of corrosion. The larger the vessel, the more difficult it is to keep it clear of those forms of corrosion. Once aluminum begins to corrode, it goes extremely quickly. It's also much, much weaker, and less tolerant of the abuse of rough seas on a large vessel. It is much stronger by weight, but unless you're racing weight really isn't that much of a concern. You would end up spending far, far more money using aluminum on something that size that what a proper paint system and regular haul outs would cost you. Also, aluminum boats need the same haul outs and maintenance that steel ones do, they just spend less money on the paint system, which doesn't save any money overall do to the higher cost of aluminum initially for many, many years.

If you were really going to do this, at 100 feet lengths, you would use steel. But then again, do to 'canvas rolls' and other comments, you have no idea what rigging costs are, and are a gigantic faggot and should just stick to properly taking penises.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 649x463px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 649x463px
>>1187916
>Don't worry, I won't. I've done more research than people think.

You got it backwards. It is quite obvious that you have done *less* research than *you* think. Do more research until you have reached the bottom of the valley on the other side of Mount Stupid, then research some more. That's when it's time to consider whether or not to invest even a dime on this project.
>>
Why don't you make it out of concrete instead of aluminum?
>>
>>1187925
Even when you own the boat, traveling with it costs much more than by plane. Get a boat if you want to spend time on a boat, but save your money for air and train fare if you want to go places.
>>
Why not get some real life experience on a tall ship, or any ship, before undertaking this?
>>
>>1187187

Why does this remind me of Mao's backyard furnaces...
>>
>>1186612
You can get all thicknesses up to 8-12 mm but these coil are incredible heavy and dangerous in all aspects. The price will not decrease considerable because they sell it in tons. Absolute fucking idea, don't do that.
>>
>>1187066
find a used treadmill motor.
>>
>>1187577
>BULLETPROOF
attaboy

>I have put a LOT of thought into it.
how much of it sober?

dude...it will be WILL WORTH the investment to follow some pre-made plans for a smaller, 10ft range DIY sail boat.

The experience you gain will probably save you double what it costs in time and money to build on your 100ft'r.

You're jumping head first and it doesn't sound like you know how to swim.
>>
>>1187927

Have you heard of rust?

Steel is still IRON.

>>1188169

Not idiot proof enough. I'm a dumbass. I'll probably destroy priceless reefs and coral older than the American nation with a sailboat. And that coating is not resistant to damage. It explicitly says that. Goddamn, icebreakers must need constant coatings!

>>1188222

I'm not planning to do any haul outs.

I am planning to build the lower part of the mast strong enough to use as a lever to haul the boat to one side after beaching at high tide by use of anchors and wenches to pull the boat leeward. One half at a time. Fuck haul outs.

Stuff like that was done on galleons and such. Its old school as hell. You know large ships existed long before drydocks and cranes became affordable??? You may have a license and be an engineer but learn to be a cheap as fuck bastard.

Thank you, and you're the faggot that needs to scrape barnacles off dicks.

>>1188529

I've been looking into this for the better part of two years, maybe more.

>>1188542

I don't want to use molds, concrete isn't flexible, etc. Concrete is better suited for submarines. Maybe I should build a pykrete yacht!!!! But the energy to keep it frozen would require a damn reactor.

>>1188561

Planes eat fuel. Oil is a finite resource. Well... CHEAP oil is a finite resource.

>>1188564

Because its unnecessary. What am I going to do, fall asleep and run aground and destroy vegetation?? Obviously around ports, harbors, etc I am obligated to pay attention. What do you care if I drown anyways?

>>1188597

Then how do small town metal shops make money? Its still resale, right?

>>1188816

I would figure those have built in regulators that slip the torque.

>>1188819

100 foot is on the high end. Realistically, it'll be 50-70 feet. I love the design of small yachts but honesty I need extra cabins for family and whatnot. You know how it is having a family. My mom might still be disabled and alive if I ever do it and all that
>>
>>1189033
My wife and I drink a considerable amount of vodka. We've joked about saving the bottles and ziptying them together, covering it in sand and pushing out to sea. What do you think?
>>
File: DSC_0034_1321879873.jpg (27KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0034_1321879873.jpg
27KB, 200x150px
>>1187926

That's a damn good point.

It really is. I'm sorry I didn't address it sooner.

But the boat will still have a frame and be welded.

Its low red but check out the pic, that's a 45 footer. You can see the aluminum oxide from the welds and aluminum conducts heat very well.

Welding in sections like that, would the heat relax the metal enough?
>>
>>1189041

Well... I am the OP. And I'm no genius....

But if you two want to do it, make sure it won't wash up on the same beach. You gotta take it out to sea. You need a mast.

And glass is hard shit. But it is fragile...

But you know what?

Even if it's a 30 foot boat, it would have thousands of bulkheads with elastic connections.

It'd probably be the most seaworthy thing to ever float.

No shit.

You lovebirds have fun with it lol
>>
Have you ever been on any kind of ship? Or abroad at all?
>>
>>1189033
You don't need to worry about still having a family by the time you're retired :^)
>>
I think this guy is a troll.

Otherwise he might be autistic... but then again I guess that means he fits right in to this community!
>>
>>1189033
As a materials engineer I can tell you that stainless steel is much more corrosion resistant in this particular case than aluminum would be. In a marine environment without the proper precautions your boat is going to get eaten alive by galvanic corrosion.

Also 2 years would be a joke for getting the groundwork down for a project of this scale. you could easy have team who already have decades of experience spend half a decade designing for a project like this!

And as a cheap as fuck bastard, where are you finding the hundreds of thousands of dollars (almost definitely at the low end) to build this project?

Do you even have sailing experience? welding experience? have you welded aluminum? are you planning to sail your 100ft boat alone? are you autistic?
>>
>>1189110
>>1189111
Not necessarily autistic, just a young guy who hasn't experienced enough of real life to have been kicked in the nuts by it.

This thread is reminding me of a coworker's grandson who thought he and his friends would make AAA games just clicking on stuff in CryEngine SDK. He made his grandmother sign crude NDAs because he believed eye deers to have value.
>>
>>1189111

I'm the OP and I have family that lost a houseboat in freshwater conditions.

I know damn well what thorough paint and insulation between dissimilar metals means on a metal that electricity can eat because of ionic reactivity between two things SO SHUT THE FUCK UP

IM TIRED OF IT.

I ask a network viewed by millions of people for help but its a shitfest of trolling and pessimistic help

You think steel would be better? People with steel boats can't take paint scratches!

Yes, electrolysis eats aluminum. But if you insulate the inside with paint, you have no problems.

With steel and iron, there's no painting the inside of the hull that'll protect you from the rust. Aluminum is robust!! Amino Dean even need paint!

But yes, you are right. A single irony nail will eat through aluminum on saltwater seas faster than nationalists eat nazis
>>
>>1189116

The only thing kicking me in the nuts is working my ass of while others do nothing for the same hourly wage and I'm enraged when y'all act like I'm worth shitandall because I'm an hourly worker no shame on Atlas for shrugging his shoulders
>>
>>1189150

OP here..

The spelling corrector had its day with my post.

Just.....

I can't use this interface to type if you read this.

Use your damn judgement when reading what I say OK

"Amino Dean'??!! What the fuck was that shit?!

I shouldn't have to fight my damn types to post and nobody should.

Took me way too long to say this
>>
I need 10,000 calories and an IV drip of nutrients.
This shit is driving me nuts. If Trump has access to gods please have mercy.. I went into realms of madness too long ago to see children stitch no to yes
>>
>>1187577
>see the world

>water
>water
>water
>water

>water
>water

>water
>>
>>1189152
https://www.oceanmarine.com/detail.cfm?90ft-Steel-Fishing-Cargo-Vessel---5049&product_id=6800&category_current=5&category_current_sub=15

Get a mortgage. This 90 footer is only $125,000. I'll come down and eat shrimp with you.
>>
>>1189033
The term you are looking for is careening, and you're completely incapable of accomplishing that.
>>1189111
Stainless steel is actually a terrible material to construct a boat hull from
>>1189150
You haven't actually said anything that we can help you with. 'What spoolgun should I invest in to complete this project?' Is a question we can help you with. You are basically saying 'Tell me why this completely retarded shit is retarded.'
>>
>>1189033
>Then how do small town metal shops make money? Its still resale, right?

High markups but those vary considerably.

>Welding in sections like that, would the heat relax the metal enough?

You haven't researched shit. Go to real boatbuilding forums and GTFO here you disgusting retard. You should be completely familiar with welded structures and welding processes but no, you wasted two years and come here with stupid questions and an obsession to use aluminum though steel boats can last over a century and you'll only get a few years use out of a build before you die of old age.

You should already be familiar with marine alloys and welding processes. Why do you ask here instead of PROFESSIONAL forums where there are plenty of skilled builders who have produced MANY proven hull designs? Oh, wait, I understand. You expected a hugbox instead of critical thinking.

>Welding in sections like that, would the heat relax the metal enough?

>heat
>relax

>I'm the OP and I have family that lost a houseboat in freshwater conditions.

Which qualifies you for what precisely? Hurf, durf muh famboat wasn't cared for properly annit go bad.

Go motherfucking apprentice and learn what you need because you can't learn it by reading /diy/. You can supplement proper research but the level of metalworking you'll need to do is NOT simple and if it looks simple to you that again proves you failed to research.

You don't want a boat. You want to sperg. You won't build shit because your incompetence is obvious.

If you are serious go take a welding degree program (Pell Grants and lottery money may even turn you a profit). Then take machining courses. Oh, wait, you want a two-page checklist to make you a weldor because it must be easy.

You will need to be able to produce sound welds in all positions. Do you even know what that means? You will need at least a 350A power source and a suitcase feeder, gas cylinders and basically everything in a rig truck optimized for aluminum.
>>
>>1189150
Replace your zincs.

Faggit.
>>
>>1189238
Holy fuck the asspain.

Calm the fuck down anon.

Are you new?

Shitposting and trolling is litterally all the 4chans are
>>
>>1189238
He's right you know. Marine corrosion management requires work.
>>
Did you know that the boats hull is only 20% of the total cost of the project?
>>
>>1187916
>building a boat made of aluminum by yourself, moreover a damn yacht

God speed. Have you worked with aluminum before?
>>
>>1186612
>How much money would you save by buying entire coils of metal?

Call metal suppliers for current quotes. How do you want to use industrial quantities of metal and pretend you did research but you ask here instead of calling an industrial source? Wigga please. How dare you be this stupid?

Oh my dear LITTLE GAWD? What might this be?

http://www.globalmetals.com/aluminum-coil.html

You probably think you can peel that off a roll like toilet paper too.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/stamping/an-overview-of-coil-handling-devices

Now tell us why anyone else can find this info in seconds but your lazy teentarded ass cannot.

I know you are shitposting but this is to shut up some of the other morons who think everything is simple.

Example shows steel but handling is similar. Now tell us how much you'll "save" over the cost of a boat, and remember you'll have a lot of PLATE to cut too and plate doesn't come in rolls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0kOJhR7uo
>>
>>1187577
>I'm sure you can /diy/ a coil hook and chain pully system with welding junkyard scrap that way it cuts out a middle man.

You'll need serious beams and a legit cable hoist with FRESH (or at least inspected) cable unless you want to cry or die when the cable snaps. "pulleys" use fucking belts and belts slip. You'll need a very large manual or electric hoists. You are so clueless. A lifing hoist isn't useful without an overhead crane, but you can buy those at industrial auctions and pay a rigger to move them. Then you'll need to install them on a suitable frame. You'll need to find either structural dismantlers or other specialty sellers. This isn't something you can just nigger together with no money or I would have an overhead crane though I don't need one, and I've got the equipment and ability to set one up. You have to unload the truck delivering the coil then lift the coil then place the coil which you are not gonna do with lightweight equipment.

With all this you plan to stay a poor nigger instead of becoming a professional welder/fabricator first (and making money). That's too retarded for words.
>>
Lastly, show us some of your aluminum welding!

Unless you can weld you can't afford the project. You'll be laying thousands of feet of MIG wire and using a shitload of argon. If you fuck up it will cost you even more money in rework.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/metal-shark-aluminum-boats-cruises-with-millers-millermatic-350p-and-xr-alumapro-pushpull-guns-saves-50000year

Then you'll need all the rest of the gear which goes with setting up a welding shop.
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202KB, 800x640px
>>1189033
>I've been looking into this for the better part of two years, maybe more.

That's not very impressive. In fact, it is the opposite of impressive. Your level of understanding (if one can call it that) should be achieved in the better part of two hours or less. Unless you are immortal, you will not build so much as a canoe.

If you must take something which is not a boat and manipulate it so as to use it as a boat, and you only have one lifetime in which to achieve this, may I suggest you look into purchasing something more like pic related, rather than a few tons of perfectly serviceable aluminium? With a bit of luck, I think even you should be able to undertake such a project.

Good luck.
>>
>>1189203

Y.....yes.

Good point
But I could see the Sargasso Sea!!! I could sail through the alleged SEA OF TRASH that's a large whirlpool sucking up all the bullshit we humans have dumped in the ocean! Scuba dive to see barrels of toxic waste!!! That'd make a YouTube video with millions of views lol and the government would be PISSED at me which would be hilarious because I pay them and they are probably bored to death and need real world things to do so they don't die from the depressing HELL OF PAPERWORK they live with!! I could eat fresh seafood!! I could get one of those paper microscopes and look at drops of seawater for hours like watching a YouTuber play "Spore"! I could try to sew my own wetsuit from rolls of neoprene and try to attach steel rods around it as a way to survive shark bites!!

I couldn't.... Maybe get a tan.

But yea.... Its just water ;_;.
>>
>>1189211

Needs sails. Needs tons of gas. But.... Yea its not half bad I guess but it's probably been rode hard.

>>1189224

You're right. I need others to give me reality checks. That's why I'm here. /diy/ is basically the dominatrix that makes me submit to reality and that's why I'm here.

>>1189230

ACTUALLY I have rented 5 books on welding from the library and 4 books on sailing and building yachts.

Yes I am a dumbass and I'd rather look stupid Herr than on a professional forum because REAL welders need that forum more than me and as long as anons keep making threads about shipping containers and pallets, MY POSTS are legible enough to be on /diy/.

I admire honest critiques. Oh and even if I'm 80 years old when its done at least I'll leave behind an unsinkable boat that's so childproof it might as well be made by Fisher Price

>>1189238

That happened when I was a damn child and it was a very distant member. I know what a dropped steel screw can do to an unprotected aluminum hull in saltwater!! I AM planning to not need ANY anodes. I'm planning to paint the inside and outside in so many coats of bulletproof paint to prevent electrolysis. Maybe rhinoline it lmao

>>1189302

What are you talking about? The interior? I'm not planning on having any woodwork at all on it. I'd rather do the interior in plastic. Teak interiors are just to jerk off to the classical sailboat image at huge expense.

>>1189328

Nope. I'm learning. Aluminum itself in sheet size looks reasonable but when I think about how I'm going to cut 1 inch wide sheets to form the bottom framing and swing keel hold, oh god bless me that looks insanely hard to engineer. Like I said I need it to be bulletproof, idiot proof, childproof, etc because I plan for the worst on things like that
>>
>>1189340

I'm asking for generalized knowledge. My problems lie in finding a local and reasonable supplier because I live in a landlocked state with sea access through rivers to the Mississippi river. We have barge traffic so its dredged deep enough for my dreamboat.

I know my mental project yacht is a goddamn pie dream but if I'm going to keep working and earning money I pray to god I'll have something to create that inspires people to make dreams come true.

And yes, goddamn aluminum plate is expensive and I've got no idea how I'll planish half inch plate to form the bow and grounding plate housing the keel and supporting the entire weight of the boat while its beached.

>>1189348

Levers. Big levers, welded waste railroad tracks, wenches, etc. Yes I'm clueless but everyone has been in that club. We need to make jackets and make an official idiot fraternity because we've all been there.

>>1189354

Dude I havnt even drawn schematics yet! This is literally still in my head. I just need real life knowledge to make it so my mind can conceive how its actually possible.
And yea ARGON IS A BITCH and I'm mad as fuck co2 can't be a shielding gas because I am a cheap person.

>>1189377

My belief is based around immortality. Shape shifters existed millennia ago but my dreams of building a boat for my home are unrealistic?? That is unreasonable.

Our universe was made in 6 days but I'm sorry if I want to inconvenience everyone with my goals! And I refuse to be in any debt or oath that doesn't belong to me and my mind because EVERYONE deserves a roof over their head and the pursuit and achievement of happiness is every souls right.

I don't want to owe anyone anything. I just want advice but goddamn I'm sorry thats too much to ask for because your time is worth so much you'd rather crush dreams and be an asshole than be a positive critic in your spare time
>>
>>1189074

Only lakes and rivers.

If I go to sea I want the real McCoy. A genuine sailboat that's seaworthy enough to be afloat after a hurricane.

Dude, people have found boats afloat older than you that haven't been crewed in years because the sailed died and was mummified.

No shit. Goddamn ghost ships floating after years even though the sailed died years ago and left the hatches open. Like magic but the yacht was still afloat even though it was half full of water.
>>
>>1189080

Yes I do. I'm still part of a family. I'm a fucking human being!!
>>
>>1189525
Only idiots sail in a hurricane.
>>
>>1189521
So.... you are a landlocked moron?
Good that means you wont ever make it to sea
>>
>>1189510
>What are you talking about? The interior? I'm not planning on having any woodwork at all on it. I'd rather do the interior in plastic. Teak interiors are just to jerk off to the classical sailboat image at huge expense.

The internal structure, nerfherder. The skeleton. Costs more than the skin.
>>
>>1189501
Take a tablespoon of paper chads, stir them into a five gallon bucket of water, that's approximately what the thick of the "garbage patch" looks like.
>>
File: 1479319653757.jpg (226KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1479319653757.jpg
226KB, 1500x1000px
Want to sail? Get single seat lateen rigged trimaran for $5,000 and have some low risk fun on lakes. Want to travel before you're too old to enjoy it? Buy plane tickets several months in advance. Want to be surrounded by nothing but water for several days? Take a trip on the Queen Mary II. Docking a boat costs as much per day as staying in a hostel. There's reasons only rich folks sail.
>>
>>1189550
There's also some programs for joining the crews of tall ships. You need to walk before you can run.
>>
OP, you **can** achieve your dream of living on a seaworthy boat, if you somehow get educated/skilled enough to have more than a McJob. But you won't be building the whole thing yourself. Which sandbox video game has made you think it's so simple to cobble together a ship?
>>
File: 1491670414881.png (81KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
1491670414881.png
81KB, 400x397px
I'd tell you to join the navy, but you've already demonstrated you have a developmental disability that disqualifies you.
>>
>>1189536

Only idiots act like storms can't come over when they want.

>>1189537

I am next door to one of the worlds largest rivers. I'm right on the Great American Loop! Look it up.

>>1189541

Are you talking about the frame? I'll tell you what I'm thinking.

Half inch aluminum plate for the bones welded to quarter inch ribs welded to 3/8ths plates that I weld the skin to.

Hope it makes sense. Look up the Garcia 45 and see its structure. Like that but stronger.

>>1189546

You could still go to the center of the garbage and on camera it will look like hell on water.

>>1189550

I want to know the boat inside and out. I hate having a car I don't know how to replace axles on in case shit fucks it all up. That is why I want to make my own.

>>1189556

I am stubborn. And stupid. So I'll check out the world like a mentally disabled person in my rubber lined metal helmet and pads with water wings and dicks like you watching me like you're a dad that actually cares about me.
Just don't fuck with my money and plans, don't be overprotective, and don't spy
>>
>>1189562

Excuse me I have what you call a "mcjob" but I am liable for billions. If I wanted I could make a thousand people sick as fuck in a few days. Do not downtalk me. I work hard and keep more people safe than you realize. I make a bunch of people happy. I vent my lunacy and madness in the garbage dump it belongs in and get clean for my work and if you or anyone shits on me too much there will be hell to pay.

Let me have my dreams and don't be an asshole. I don't go yell BOO at you when you're on the bat after I gave the pitcher steroids so why the fuck are you guys raining on my parade when its so nonexistent its in my head?

>>1189567

The military is literally the most expensive and dangerous daycare in the world where parents and teachers throw away money to give madmen guns and tell babies to kill people.

Its so derp and hurt I'd be proud to be forbidden in it BUT ONLY if I don't pay for it.

I'll gladly have all my taxes I paid into it given back to me if I'm no longer in the American militia I've been paying since I spent my first dime on bubble gum. Give all that money back and were even-steven

Assholes.
>>
File: 1496548231455.jpg (111KB, 842x1047px) Image search: [Google]
1496548231455.jpg
111KB, 842x1047px
People often assume autistic persons with narrow interests would have thorough understandings of them, but that's not how things work. Deep knowledge is necessarily wide. Those with narrow obsessions and no work ethic only memorize a handful of facts and don't know any more about it than you could learn spending one afternoon on wikipedia.
>>
>>1189570
Kid, you're not going to build a tall ship on minimum wage, unless you bag a sugar daddy. Fill out the FAFSA for Pell Grant, get at least a two-year technical degree, and build a nice life for yourself.
>>
>>1189570
>The military is literally the most expensive and dangerous daycare in the world where parents and teachers throw away money to give madmen guns and tell babies to kill people.

lol, you learn about the military from call of duty?

the military is 70%+ support. dudes that spin wrenches or push paperwork around. the vast majority of military personnel shoot their guns maaaybe once a year. its only really dangerous to the guys who pick combat positions. i spent my enlistment drinking beer, learning a trade, and chasing foreign girls on deployment. ez money tbqh.
>>
>>1189577

I left college. Working as an assistant manager overtime, having a child, going through divorce, it took its toll.

I got so burnt out I'm still hot to the touch.

I don't want to get in debt for a like of an education. People have spent a hundred thousands worth to learn how to give icepick lobotomies and then everyone found out lobotomies are HORRIBLE.

Its a goddamn ugly world full of lies and garbage like pop-up ads scamming you on the internet IN YOUR LIFE.

Why don't you shut the fuck up and look at your own stupid mistakes and if I'm the one that's mistaken ARE YOU SPREADING WHAT YOUVE LEARNED???

Dude.. IF I build a boat I want it to be MINE. My own honest and worthwhile time. MINE means nobody can EVER lay claim to it because I did it all by myself on honest and real work.

I don't want to handle billions of dollars in monopoly money, my money is MY LIFE AND SOUL. I trade MY LIFE for my paycheck and it better be solid as rock and just as hard and valuable as something priceless and sacred.

I fucking work hard and I am sick as fuck of assholes like you saying I'm the idiot. Wanna talk shit about people that work for minimum wage??

Imagine what you'd have without us. Because I don't want you.

No more restaurants, no more gas stations, no more factories because nobody working the minimum holds up the bricks.

I'd tell you to go fuck yourself but you'd probably like it.

I work hard. I earn my money. I EARN IT.
>>
>>1189587

You wasted taxpayers money is what you meant to say.

If its true, fuck you and fuck the government that decided to pay you.

I've been in managerial positions and what's real funny is having someone getting 100K a year tell you about how robots will replace you when all that asshole does can be done with an Excel script.

And you assholes act like I owe you something after you've ridden my back for this long.

Go get impaled on a spike from your ass to your mouth and get your lungs pulled through your ribs so I can see them flap as you try to breathe.
SERIOUSLY.

Fuck you if you're riding on my back and telling me I should work harder and be grateful.

You don't deserve it.
>>
>>1189611
You're drawing pretty arbitrary lines. If you didn't mine and refine the materials yourself, can really say you built the boat yourself? Are you setting a wildly impossible goal so you so you can indefinitely postpone it and never have a chance to fail?
>>
>>1189611
>>1189613
Do you have schizophrenia?
>>
>>1189613
>You wasted taxpayers money
lol, keep on with your ignorance. the vast majority of the cost of our military is just keeping equipment running. its all logistics. back in the early days of WW2 we used to pay civilian workers to do the same job, but guess what? that shit was expensive as fuck because of overtime and unions. so instead of hiring that guy who's ASAE certified, they just show some 18 year old kid some power point slides for a few months and get pretty much the same result. unless you are one of those utopian fags who think the military shouldn't exist at all, then POG's are actually saving john q taxpayer money by skirting general labor costs.

>inb4 hurr durr fighting for israel.

the aircraft carrier and the tank would need the maintenance regardless.

also, i got an engineering degree with my GI bill and now make 100k+ a year so lol once more.
>>
>>1186790
I work in an aluminum plant. We call the roll of sheet metal a coil. The full coils typically weigh 30,000 lbs or more. Any aluminum rolling company, constantly generates partial, scrap coils (much smaller/lighter than a full coil) that they might be willing to sell to a local civilian if you have the means to transport it. If they won't sell to you directly, you could probably befriend an employee who might be able to buy it at scrap cost.
>>
File: big_grin_by_rober_raik-d4cw3lk.png (1MB, 7802x6822px) Image search: [Google]
big_grin_by_rober_raik-d4cw3lk.png
1MB, 7802x6822px
A dropout with no relevant skills, and refusal to learn them until after they're needed, is going to turn a strip of mud into a shipyard and build a tall ship that works with no crew.
>>
>>1186889
>100 foot metal sailboat
Lel try making a 3 feet canoo first. Baby steps.
>>
>>1189622

I've thought that too!! It pisses me off but because I serve food... Who fed the miners? So then... I'm entitled to a portion of their work because if they didn't eat my work, they wouldn't have made as much, right? God damn dude it goes deep! My ex wife made a deal about giving birth, like it was kind of big deal, but technically, our child came out of ME first.

>>1189623

No we don't but if we do you'd all better be prepared to back up your accusations.

>>1189626

Dude I can't do this. The war machine is hell on the budget. Let me know when we are making bases on the moon and Mars. I'll back it.

But I'm not gonna back what I see on YouTube and Liveleak where an Apache guns down goats and people hiding AKs under the bedsheets they wear as clothing.

To be and honest and real.... I am very impressed when I see those vids. Our troops show impressive discernment. We all make mistakes but even in the video where an American base was accidentally bombed by an American plane....

It was amazing because no troop died.

But YES I actually know how much I pay in taxes and even after tax I only see 1/5th of my check or so.

I need a damn vacation. That's why I'm planning to build a boat.

And yes, I agree... Unions can be terrible BUT they have a point. A professional laborer needs to eat and pay bills even when there's no niche for him to fill.

But why can't he work fast food?? No man should lose hope and drink all day because he's got nothing to his name and nothing to do!!

Dude, I KNOW HOW MUCH I PAY IN TAXES.

And nobody should be stuck in a rut.

>Israel

That belongs to God. We shouldn't steal his thunder. People have forgotten our ancient history and God can set the sky on fire when he wants us to pay attention

>>1189629

Goddamn 15 tons is heavier than I thought.

Would I be better off going to a local supplier and asking for a discount as I put that much cash on the table?
>>
If you untie whatever's holding it does it turn into a half kilometre spring and mince meat everything in the shop?
>>
>>1189644
>Would I be better off going to a local supplier

Yeah, of guns, and then go an hero in your closet.
>>
>>1189636

Oh wow, a meme younger than my 4chan time. Holy shit.

Yes I'm pulling seniority here.

I've been on this site so long I still don't know why the govt hasn't talked to me about it.

I guess they are too busy baneposting in /k/
>>
>>1189650

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
>>
>>1189570
My dad became a meat inspector after high school, he is still pretty retarded.
>>
>>1189646

I guess it could.

Depends on how it was rolled.

Aluminum isn't steel though

But, yea.... It can kill people. But so can mud puddles.

I did wayyy too much work below minimum wage for a guy trying to get a new roof.

Apparently the wind can grab the shingles you hold and throw you off a roof.

Shit happens and shit sucks and shouldn't happen
>>
>>1189652

Lol OK....

The video didn't mention how to build the room you have your pity party in.

I stopped halfway through and it still isn't talking about how to build a boat even though BOATS ARE A CENTRAL THEME.

Yes I live a pity party. I'm lonely because I can't abduct people. "Go get a woman" is translated in my mind as "Steal a girl and enslave them".

And.. " Go get money " translates to "STEAL".

I want to earn money and be lucky enough God graces me to help me find my soulmate and keep everyone else out of it because friends tear lovers apart.

So shut up. I try hard to be legal, fair, etc.

I don't want abuse anything but my dick because that bastard does his own thing while jobs require tucked shirts so there is no hiding uncontrollable erections
>>
>>1189653

Being retarded has nothing to do with this even though I'll use it as a crutch
>>
>>1186612
check out SV Seeker on youtube to get an idea about what this project entails
>>
>>1186612
lurk here a bit:

https://reddit.com/r/tallships
>>
>>1189521
>EVERYONE deserves a roof over their head and the pursuit and achievement of happiness is every souls right.

Nope.

>I just want advice

You have repeatedly been provided the best advice you could ever hope to get, but you are clearly too dense to understand it so I'll simplify it for you:

Stop.

You are not qualified for this project. You are not even qualified to become qualified. You are too ignorant, too dense to acquire the requisite knowledge and way too stupid to apply it correctly. Any physical object, be it tools or material, purchased for this project will forever be left unused in your garden or shed as reminders, monuments, to your inability to see any project to completion. Don't do it. You are perfectly happy with leeching off the labours of others, as indicated by the above quote, but please have at least the common decency to walk quietly and not make a mess for others to clean up. You god damn tick.
>>
I think your first step should be to design the ship? You can't just wing it.
>>
OP is a master of the /diy/ style troll
>>
>>1189718
No. A master troll will just drop a few select words into a crowd, then step back and watch as everyone tears each other apart. OP has written the bulk of the total text in this thread, all the other text is written to tear *him* apart. I think he is a legitimate scatterbrained man-child. Trolling is a art, and if OP is indeed a troll, he is not a master of it.
>>
>>1189660
Luck will get you nowhere eiyh ouy ambition , drive, and action.
Faggut
>>
>>1189644
You might be able to special order a smaller coil, but honestly, the aluminum plant isn't likely to sell a small amount unless you can get it as scrap. And they may have rules against selling to individuals.

Aluminum is commonly a pound or two per foot of length at around 4 feet wide, depending on the gauge of the metal. So a 2500 pound scrap coil might have 10000 SQ feet of sheet aluminum on it. I doubt you need remotely that much.

You should go to a metal supply house and inquire about sheets of aluminum. That way you can be pickier about the gauge, and even alloy, of the sheet, as well as it being a more manageable size. If you are looking to minimize the seams, you should be able to buy sheets that are quite long.

Another possible source could be finding a supplier for the metal for roofing or siding forming machines. They use much smaller coils.
>>
>>1186612
So basically you want to establish your very own shipyard and ship building operation just to build one custom boat?
While your at it why don't you start your own aluminum recycling company and smelt your own aluminum beer cans down into raw aluminum material?

protip: go to an aluminum boat builder and commission a boat
>>
>>1186612
make a small boat out of wood first
>>
>>1189510
>Yes I am a dumbass and I'd rather look stupid Herr than on a professional forum because REAL welders need that forum more than me

No, you are a dumbass because you've not bothered to use professional forums which also are noob friendly. I often post links to two of them. You have no business making assumptions when you don't know the slightest thing about how to reach your goal.

You need to learn the physical skill of welding to produce the result you need, because you cannot afford to pay pros to build your hull (whose size you deliberately chose to THWART YOUR OWN PROJECT since it's not required for seafaring!)

The very first thing you need to do is learn to weld, first on steel (and you'll be fabbing plenty of that) then aluminum. If you don't have the eyesight, coordination and talent for welding your project requires then you may as well buy a boat.

>I AM planning to not need ANY anodes. I'm planning to paint the inside and outside in so many coats of bulletproof paint to prevent electrolysis. Maybe rhinoline it lmao

Coatings don't work that way, shithead. Do you actively resent doing things the right way? Yes, you do.

>My problems lie in finding a local and reasonable supplier because I live in a landlocked state with sea access through rivers to the Mississippi river.

So fucking move. Unfuck your life if you want your dream. Your dream won't unfuck your life. MAKE MONEY.

It boils down to a very basic problem. You have no skills and no money. You require particular skills AND money to reach your professed goal. Therefore you should learn to weld. If your experience in welding school reveals you can't be a high quality welder then find another benchmark instead of metal boatbuilding. If you can be a good enough welder to build your dream, you can hit the road and make money. That gets you out of your poverty job and shit location. Afraid to move? That's another problem.

You don't need to live where you live or do what you do.
>>
>>1189570
>The military is literally the most expensive and dangerous daycare in the world where parents and teachers throw away money to give madmen guns and tell babies to kill people.

Naive neverserved confirmed. Also none of that matters.

You have a common syndrome among the class of DIY dreamers who fail. You talk yourself out of success while autistically pretending you are genuinely pursuing your goal when your CHOICES effectively sabotage that goal.

You admit you are lunatic and mad but you reject ways you could actually go sailing because you don't really WANT to go sailing.

You hate your own dream. That's being your own worst enemy.
>>
File: 4g_root_pass.jpg (115KB, 500x647px) Image search: [Google]
4g_root_pass.jpg
115KB, 500x647px
>>1188222
Former boatbuilder here. This anon is completely correct in all points.
>Accidentally drop penny into the bilge.
>3 days later it's on the sea bed
>>
Welder here.

Lmaoing @ your life, OP.
>>
Buy a boat and have tourists pay you to sail them around. And then spend that money on plane ticikets because that's cheaper than sailing.
>>
>>1187916
>ERB gets very brittle in cold climates. Its an epoxy thing. IIRC that's why the most dangerous parts of yacht races are in the Southern Ocean.

You are a moron, OP, you don't have even the first clue of how deeply stupid you are. Bless your soul.
>>
fags, fags everywhere
>>
File: sharksanime.jpg (56KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
sharksanime.jpg
56KB, 640x640px
OP being a weird shitter aside, can we make this a general shipwrightery thread?

What kind of stresses should boats have to withstand? I was thinking of building a small pedal boat from scrap materials and bike parts as a long-term project.

I've heard that a skin made of any heavy fabric (like burlap or smth) over a wooden frame, painted repeatedly and sealed with shellac is sufficient for very small boats like canoes or kayaks. But it sounds like it would be easily punctured or otherwise fail quickly. What's the thread's unprofessional opinion on that? Would something like bathroom or exterior house paint suffice to treat the fabric, or will it flake off or even just dissolve in dirty city water? What kind of dimensions and draught should I look at for a one person boat so it won't tip easily?

Also, how do you pronounce "draught"? I've heard it pronounced like "draft" but also like "draught" as in "water shortage", which is correct?

>>1189819
no its basically daycare, right down to ordered snacktimes and unregulated but well documented bullying

t. reservist sailor
>>
>>1186612
>sailboat project
there was a little boat with a trailer at an auction that didn't sell here because it didn't have a title
minimum bid: $2
>>
>>1186889
100 Feet!
You know that perfectly livable sailboats are only 35 feet long, right?
>>
>>1189224
You can use duplex stainless steels for shipbuilding, however this would be obviously out of the price and technical capability of diy boat/shipbuilding. I'm primarily in aerospace and automotive, so this is mostly from tidbits of maritime engineering case studies in uni.

>>1190209
Fiberglass and composites are surprisingly easy to work with for smaller projects, if you've got the space a little time and money you can make something nice via wet layup or resin infusion.

>>1189111
Also I got trips! yay!

highly amusing thread in a sad sort of way.
>>
Looks like he had a wank and/or nap and came to his senses?
>>
I enjoyed playing with a single seat lateen rigged trimaran on a lake, so I'm thinking of paying to ride on a larger sailboat the next time I'm in Barcelona. Y/n?
>>
>>1190575
sailing a larger yacht is a bit different from sailing a single or double person craft!

It's quite a fun if different experience nonetheless! go for it!
>>
>>1190862
I'd only be riding on it. Pretty cheap, so I think I will.
>>
>>1190305
100' with a swing keel. It's gotta be BULLETPROOF.
>>
About tree fiddy
>>
>>1190574

No just needed to buy more beer then after I did I was too busy watching let's plays to come back

Whatever.

I'm actually considering stainless steel instead.

And I love how people act like you can work you your ass off your entire life and still die poor. Gotta enforce your standards on the rest of the world.

I sure as fuck hope I don't get paid a fortune to do next to nothing unless the world owed it to be anyways and if that's the case I sure as shit hope they aren't wasting my time by not straight up giving it to me.

So my country spends insanitary amounts of money helping give Band-Aids, food, housing, etc to illegal migrants, people in jail for murder, rape, etc, and all kinds of money gets thrown away at all kinds of things but y'all think I'm stupid for having my own dream I'll enforce on this reality after I worked so hard for it?

Better check again. Better fucking check again.

And I'm only fucking 30 this is an idea for when I'm like 50-70 and need pet projects to entertain myself after I have no serious commitment to parents, family, friends, work, etc.
>>
>>1191536
No one thinks you are stupid for "having your own dream". We think you are stupid because of your inability to understand that you will never realise the dream. You are wasting your time. We are not trying to "crush your dreams". We want to wake you up, before you are having a nightmare.
>>
>>1191553
This right here.

I'm on a 110 ft vessel. JUST to pull it out of the water, diddle with the rudder and add a new patch of steel to some warped pieces, and then switch from a water drip system to a grease system for our shaft bearing cost 120 thousand dollars in shipyard.

Yes, 120 thousand. We were out of the water for ten fucking days. Pro tip: most insurance requires you to repaint the hull at least once every 3 years. That requires you to pull yourself out of the water.
>>
>>1189749
/diy/ is different though, there isn't enough critical mass to keep the pot stirred. Once the thread falls off the first page, OP has to pull it up again.
>>
File: www.floodmap.net.png (277KB, 512x582px) Image search: [Google]
www.floodmap.net.png
277KB, 512x582px
>>1191536
There's lots of cool things you can do, many involving owning your own small sailboat, but building a metal ship on a muddy riverbank isn't one of them, especially when you're unwilling to learn the requisite skills beforehand. You could build a radio controlled sailboat today if you wanted. Besides the structural elements, all you need is a transceiver unit, small battery, and a single servo to control the rudder, assuming it's just a single lateen rigged job. It's often said the two happiest days in a boat owner's life are the day they buy the boat and the day they sell the boat.

But you're not even interested in boating? You're under the delusion this stillborn project will be magically cheaper than air travel, just because wind is free? I've only sailed on lakes, but don't bigger boats need crew to go anywhere, even with motorized rigging?

Have you really never been outside the U.S.? And you intend to never do so until you're retired and too old to enjoy walking through a sloped city like Marseille and its adjacent national park? You could be seeing the world now. Plane tickets to pretty much anywhere are affordable when bought several months in advance. I spend more on inland transportation during most trips.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 249x186px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 249x186px
>>1191577
I disagree (somewhat). It goes down differently than with /b/ or /fit/, but I remember several long threads with minimal OP input. The legendary Imitation Crab Meat saga of -13 springs to mind. Good times.
>>
>>1186889
Oh brother. Well, I salute your effort and hope you get as far as possible in this, but can't stress enough that your first project should be to build a small skiff out of the material you intend to use, first. You should get used to working with it on smaller projects with less hanging in the balance, before going all in on a sailing vessel. Not because you're an idiot who doesn't know what he's doing, but because you'll find all these tiny little nitpicky ideas and mistakes throughout your build, that you would have been unable to prevent on a large build after, let's say, you just finished a five foot plasma cut through your biggest sheet of metal.

Also, for the cost of just the material, not to mention work hours, tooling etc, you could probably get a decent GF sailboat and use your free time to refurbish and mod that instead. In a way, that's more rational, especially considering how much of a money suck boats are when you first get them to water. Your boat is probably not seeing water for 10-15 years, and is a running expense in the meantime.

Babysteps, OP. But good luck nonetheless. I'm not saying you can't do this, but I think you underestimate the amount of work you need to put in.
>>
>>1191536
Most stainless steel alloys are not suitable for large boatbuilding, HSLA steels will be cheaper and have better mechanical properties..

Also I don't think you've budgeted enough time on this project, and possibly money. You need a job that's gonna get you megabucks when you start this project.
>>
>>1191616
Surimi
>>
>>1191536
>this is an idea for when I'm like 50-70

You'll be too beat up from aging and too tired to do the work. You seem to resent practical projects which you are unable to fathom because you don't know how to DO them. You cannot get experience from books, only information about that of others.

If you want to do king shit DIY projects later in life you'd better get into it hard and heavy while you are young. That pays off over a lifetime more than some silly boat you don't really know why you want except you like the idea. You'll also need to learn seamanship while you are young, but you've not addressed that. At least this thread will enlighten noobs who aren't delusional.

What are you doing NOW to obtain experience in the trades you'll need? You can build small boats to learn the skills. Stop focusing on material and equipment costs. If you have the skills you can easily acquire used industrial equipment over time and current prices won't be current when you build, but of course you didn't know to plan that way.

You don't need to own your final build location yet, but should focus on owning cheap rural property where you can build a killer shop facility. You can then do a lot of the fab efficiently on weekends. Do one task a day and shit gets done surprisingly fast.

Forget the boaty shit for a bit and build a welding shop and a mobile welding rig after learning to weld. Plan it so you can extend the structure as finances allow. Then add your lathe, milling machine, shears, brake or brakes, lifting gear etc.

You should be able to plan and execute building and outfitting a shop easily before tackling a large boat, and the shop pays off even as a hobbyist. The earlier you have a shop the more power you have over your own life, and fixing and repairing everything you own will help you save project money.

You can start with a shipping container which are nice building modules for shops.
>>
File: tableish.jpg (426KB, 531x756px) Image search: [Google]
tableish.jpg
426KB, 531x756px
>>1191616
I would file those under "Basking in the creative superiority of /diy/" though. This thread has yet to produce anything epic.
>>
>>1186612
This is an incredible trainwrek, OP please video tape all your activities and share it.
>>
>>1186612
You know what OP, you should start a patreon account, people will pay to watch this train wrack. You'll make millions and be rich.
>>
>>1191887
I really would pay. It would be like the newfoundland messy apartment cooking videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/parthenocarpySA
>>
>>1189340
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0kOJhR7uo

Jesus Christ, what do you do if it starts rolling?
>>
>>1186889
Wait, are you the dumbass who did the thread about a 35 foot plywood boar for $30k, then fled when everyone dog piled you about how the materials were $40k or better by themselves, let alone wiring, engines, comms, plumbing and the rest?
>>
>>1187916
Lol done research, then why are you asking cum dumpster worthy questions on 4chan?
>>
>>1191616
>legendary Imitation Crab Meat saga

Is there a screencap?
>>
>>1190209
Draft, it's the same word as draught/draft horse or draught/draft beer.
>>
Bumping in hopes that op returns so we can continue dragging him
>>
>>1193261
I hope he finds something fulfilling he can start on today, not tomorrow squared indefinitely.
>>
>>1193271
Don't be ridiculous, OP will never so much as build an aluminum birdhouse.
>>
>>1193801
Maybe he can papercraft a scale model of the boat? Build it in a sandbox video game where every part is weightless?
>>
>>1193261
Concur. Op, please return! I've had a bad day and need someone to abuse, you stupid fuck!
>>
>>1191915

Nope.

>>1193261

I've been distracted by my first kidney stones.
>>
>>1195598
You may not live to retirement age if you're eating that poorly.
>>
>>1189636
>literally posting on a Chinese boat building forum in 2017 about building a boat.
>>
OP couldn't build a loaf of bread.
>>
>>1187578
>I could lease the building out to people to recoup those losses. Factories can sell.

Not very well if they aren't also conveniently located and have city sewer and three-phase power. How you think building an expensive facility is an economic way to obtain a boat is a mystery.
>>
>>1195880
The best part is, he doesn't even want a boat, just cheap travel.
>>
>>1195598
Now imagine getting a kidney stone while you're at sea in your boat.
>>
>>1195994
>in your boat
In your boat boat poorly put together and likely to sink*
>>
1 huge problem with buying a coil.. Uncoiling it.. you can get thickness you need for a hull, but trying to straighten out the coil without proper equipment would be comical at best. Good luck.
>>
>>1196020

Thanks, I've learned a bit from the thread. Metal memory and such.

One thing I'm uncertain about is planishing thick plates for the very curvy parts.

>>1195880

I'm not that worried. One major reason I want a big /diy/ project is to learn things I don't know much about. I have no handyman skills :( I took two years of shop class and two years medical profession classes.
>>
>>1196466
>I'm not that worried.
BE WORRIED
>>
Why wait decades to not do this when you could not do this today?
>>
Please tell me you at least know how to sail
>>
>>1196617
I don't think OP would let a minor setback like that stop him.
>>
File: 798843726339795493_34920537.jpg (134KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
798843726339795493_34920537.jpg
134KB, 640x640px
>>1196617
Even he did there's a world of diffrence between a 15 foot Daysailor and a 100 foot tall ship.
>>
>>1196466

Only things that come to mind with little to no corrosion are some types of plastic and titanium/alloys.

If you have the time and money, titanium may be your dream metal, low/no corrosion, light, strong. Negatives, $$$, hard to work with.

Plastics, UV stable varieties exists, $, have to work it very carefully. Pro is you can fix it almost anywhere, even source your parts/fixes almost anywhere on this plastic riddled world.

I would look into how to do a portable dry-docking system for your boat first though. Being able to go to shore and dry-dock and fix/paint your boat will go a LONG WAY to keeping costs/work down. Otherwise you'll end up having to get expensive marine welding training/certification and equipment unless you are transporting US military into danger zones for money or something to pay for those repairs/dry-dockings.
>>
>>1196617

Yea, raise sails and spin the wheel.

>>1197629

What if I made it from Rhinoliner lmao

And if I don't make a dock for it I'll beach and careen for bottom work
>>
You are Lennie Small and the boat is his farm with rabbits.

This is never going to happen if you put off even beginning to put hard plans on paper until tomorrow squared indefinitely. Do you even have a rough sketch of what you want?
>>
>>1189525
Only lakes and rivers, and you don't have any tall ship experience. Just. Build a small 20 footer. It will be no less awesome.
>>
>>1198604

Because EVERYONE is ramming it down my throat I think I'll make a catboat. Wood, easy as fuck to sail, hardy, etc.
>>
>>1191967
https://archive.installgentoo.net/diy/thread/S438924
>>
>>1199795
Do it! You will learn and have gratification sooner.
>>
>>1189150
>ask for advice
>unanimously agree it's a poor dangerous idea
>HURR DURR NO ONE'S HELPING ME
>>
Dude um... why not just buy an old steel hull and refurbish it... they go for pennies compared to what you are trying to do and youll get your diy fix doing it up. This post is absurd. You dont just "build" a 100ft sailing ship. Specially not with a "few years" of research. You could get a hull for maybe $20K. Go check listings and stop being a moron.
>>
>>1200805
HA! Almost fell for it! Buyfag, buyfag!
>>
>>1189510
>>That happened when I was a damn child and it was a very distant member. I know what a dropped steel screw can do to an unprotected aluminum hull in saltwater!! I AM planning to not need ANY anodes. I'm planning to paint the inside and outside in so many coats of bulletproof paint to prevent electrolysis. Maybe rhinoline it lmao
You'd want to have ground if you need any sort of electrical equipment onboard. Or in the case of lightning strikes. You specifically do not want to be the shortest route to ground, sitting right by the rudder
>>
>>1189510
>I'm planning to paint the inside and outside in so many coats of bulletproof paint to prevent electrolysis. Maybe rhinoline it lmao

Coatings don't work like that. How dare you think you know more about anything than professional boat and ship builders? You sad stupid cunt. You deserve abuse and it's unfortunate we can't tie you to a tree and take turns breaking your bones with iron bars for the lulz. GTFOFOAD.
>>
>>1201659
I think that's a little excessive. I say we just let him lead himself to an early, watery grave.
>>
>>1202555
There's no chance he gets that far. This will never be more than a dream.
>>
>>1199795
Please do this OP. And get started right away.
>>
>>1203794
He already said absolutely nothing is starting until after he's retired.
Thread posts: 186
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.