[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would a laser cutter and a wooden plank be enought to faithfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 8-Gustave-Dore-Heavenly-host-.jpg (140KB, 650x813px) Image search: [Google]
8-Gustave-Dore-Heavenly-host-.jpg
140KB, 650x813px
Would a laser cutter and a wooden plank be enought to faithfully replicate something like that ? I'm afraid the nuance of grey will translate badly.
>>
>>1186601
I suspect you are talking about laser engraving, not cutting. Yes, a laser engraver would be able to do shading BUT it will depend on your wood AND how much time you put into tweaking gradient parameters.
>>
>>1186625
Alright thanks.
>>
Are you trying to use the laser to engrave the pattern on the piece itself, or to make the block for making the print?
>>
>>1186799
To imprint it on the piece itself. I just want a wood plank with the art on it.
>>
You could probably figure out something that begins with a printed transparency. That image doesn't look very vectory, so a laser may not be the best way.
>>
So having mostly straight line is better ?
>>
>>1186601
>>1186972
>>1186975
Before you rent space at a laser cutter, try doing a print transfer. You can get sheets of Tshirt transfer paper for ~$1ea but an empty label sheet works well too.
I've also seen fairly decent results from freezer/parchment paper taped onto a regular sheet of paper so the printer doesn't eat it.
Inkjet works better than laser, but both can. The last time I tried I didn't have good success, but largely because I was too cheap to use a solvent and I have a laser printer. I picked up a small bottle of mod podge (popular for this) at the dollar store the other day, before that I couldn't find any for <$10.
Basically, print reversed image onto slippery "paper", place face down on sanded smooth wood that has the solvent on it, rub the back firmly with a smooth surface, the back of a spoon is popular, wait for it to dry, then slowly and carefully peel the paper off.
You get about 30-80% of the ink sticking to the wood, so it may help to turn down the brightness of the image/darkness on the printer settings when you print it.
Best done with the page straight off the printer.

Lines may not be super crisp, but you'll have the same issue with a laser cutter/engraver, the heat bloom makes dark lines have a slightly fuzzy edge as wood fibers next to it char.
Shouldn't matter with your lithograph, the layout of the art is designed with that limitation because it's a lithograph.

Um, the main limitation of the printer method is that it limits your page size to the paper size your printer takes.
You CAN apply overlapping ones, but it's a bitch to line up right. If you do, crop the 2 or 4 pictures so they overlap each other slightly (like 1/8-1/4 inches), it's better to have a smudged area where it didn't overlap exactly than to have a gap seam line.
Seriously though, try it. If you have access to a printer and have a dollar store, supplies should be the wood and <$5
>>
>>1187075
Mostly straight lines is easier to program the computer for and faster for the motors that aim the laser. Faster = less time = cheaper.
>>
>>1187113
>>1187114
Money shouldn't be an issue. I'm at an internship in a lab with a laser engraving machine and I think the guy in charge of the machine will be ok with that. I've sent him an email and am waiting for the answer.

Thanks for the alternate printing methode, the idea sounds pretty cool. I'll try it with another design.

Would color work for the printing method ? I'm thinking of another religious art but it will probably be more expensive and be affected by the color of the wood.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.