[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, /mu/ here. I've been recently struck with a thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: deep_cargo_2a.jpg (17KB, 468x365px) Image search: [Google]
deep_cargo_2a.jpg
17KB, 468x365px
Hey /diy/, /mu/ here. I've been recently struck with a thought really interests me. I want to do research how being underwater affects the perception and creation of music. I did some research on submarines large enough for this, and all I learned is thay positive pressure is key to sucess, and that a production sub that large costs an ungodly ammount. I came here and it hit me. Page 1. Shipping container. It's made out of metal, it's designed to withstand exposure to water, and they're designed to withold the pressure of 12 other containers full of shit on top of them.

They'd honestly be perfect. They're not aerodynamic but I only need it to be stationary once it's under water.

I did a bunch of research on them before for dwellings and the only real drawback was the cost of shipping(ironic) into the countryside. But for this project it would be much cheaper because I'll be working on the project a couple miles down from the harbor they'll come in at. I have a truck driver buddy who has access to a flat bed trailer.

But I'm getting off topic as to why I'm posting. I need a little advice.

1. Should I reinforce the inside with some x's? Will that add too much weight?

2. How do I get electeicity down there? I need to be able to power a guitar amp and a record player, or an mp3 player and blue tooth stereo.

3. How do I get air down there enough for 2-3 people? Is a connection to the surface necessary? I need all the room i can for a bass amp and a drum set.

I plan on welding all the seems shut and pressure testing it. I would like to add one of the cool holes in the bottom that you can swim through.

My budget is about $4000 i have left from student loans. I have a corded drill, a 110 amp welder, a hammer, some channel locks, and other basic stuff. I wouldn't be opposed to buying the "brake press" thing from harbor freight if i need to. Some guy recommended it to me my first time looking at shipping containers.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Is this that bunker-cargo-container-crabmeat meme guy is this what he does and I've just never seen him live before
Or is it a serious dude in which case God help us all because these guys will be taking the reigns
Or is it pasta and I'm a fag
>>
>>1186284
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about
>>
>>1186279
>positive pressure
You mean having a ambient-pressure sub? You put an oversized scuba regulator inside the container along with a beefy air tank and you could theoretically go down to 66m just with a little silicone. I wouldn't advise it, but there's no reason not to, apart from the expensive setup, and potential inability to resurface if you can't drop your ballast. You'll need a 1.5m^3 storage tank to store all the air that going down to 66m would require, so have fun with that. Oh and there's also a guy here building his own atmospheric pressure submarine: >>1167466
>>
>>1186288
hes confused, what previous life/timeline/alternate universe he read this exact post, with these exact words, in last. Or was it slightly different?, or, is this 'slightly different, but still the exact fucking same' effect merely the result of the space-time continuum shift upon shipping container shitposts?
>Questions, Questions, Sage as Fuck
>>
>>1186296
>silicone
Oh hell no, lol. I don't want this thing to implode on me. I'll look up ambient pressure subs. Thanks anon.

>>1186297
I don't see how starting a legitimate thread to ask some questions is shitposting. maybe it is space time, because in the space I currently occupy your post looks like a shitpost.
>>
>>1186296
Also, that helmet in his OP looks like a death trap.
>>
>>1186296
>storage tank
Surface-supplied air is essentially unlimited as long as the pump doesn't fail. Probably more sensible for a DIY project (though having a commercial SCUBA tank handy for emergency bailout would be wise).
>>
>>1186302
That makes sense. Do i need someone on the surface watching the pump? Should I pay someone? I'd be worried if a friend watched it that he'd walk away. Could I sue him if he did and my underwater vessels got destroyed. Would it be possible to store the tanks outside somehow, like underneath the swim through hole?
>>
>>1186279
I'd try for submerged and tethered dome. Make it wide enough and it exchanges gases for a while without accumulating too much carbon dioxide.
>>
File: metalocalypse_shakespeare (1).jpg (114KB, 575x324px) Image search: [Google]
metalocalypse_shakespeare (1).jpg
114KB, 575x324px
Not on the ocean, inside of the ocean
>>
File: slm.jpg (91KB, 604x598px) Image search: [Google]
slm.jpg
91KB, 604x598px
>>1186279
>$4000 i have left from student loans
If it's through sallie mae/navient ....
.... do yourself (and your credit) a huge favor and don't borrow that money from them.

I had to lawyer up when they woudn't cash checks in a reasonable time. Sent the checks certified, so they had to fucking sign for it, then wouldn't deposit the check for 2-3 months.

Don't do it.
>>
>>1186298
An ambient pressure submarine has 0 relative pressure between the inside and outside, so you wouldn't have to worry about any kind of water pressure bursting in. Or at least not much. If you are building a submarine that holds back the pressure of the ocean with structural integrity alone, a shipping container is the last thing you want to start from.

Also shipping containers are a /diy/ meme, every day there's a new thread about someone wanting to bury one or make a hotel out of one or some stupid shit. Not going to lie, this idea sounds much stupider than even those.

>>1186306
>Could I sue him if he did and my underwater vessels got destroyed
You'd be dead, but a pump at the surface is still probably the best idea.
>>
Ok op what effects are you talking about? If it's acoustics alone I'm sure you could mimic them under much safer conditions. If it's pressure you are talking about a 1 atmosphere system as described here would achieve no real difference then being in your mom's basement. If you breathe compressed air at depth you are limited in duration due to on gassing of co2. Past a hundred feet you have to worry about O2 toxicity. There are all kinds of problems you haven't even thought about. Go watch s few videos about saturation dives. Also enjoy your crushed cube of death!
>>
>>1186430

https://www.reddit.com/r/GunsAreCool/
>>
>>1186481
>I want to do research how being underwater affects the perception and creation of music
Sounds more like a mental thing to me. And oxygen toxicity becomes a significant risk at closer to 200ft, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_diving
for details. I still wouldn't go deeper than 100ft. at ambient.
>>
>>1186279
Dude, I'm seriously impressed. This is a level of pasta rarely seen on /diy/, intentional or not.

>Slow clap with head nod in your general direction
>>
>>1186329
https://youtu.be/SxOtD7OZ294
This is clearly a great idea OP. Pretty metal.
>>
I can't believe this thread is still up.

>>1186327
I'm not sure how to even construct a dome, I'm in no way a structural engineer.

>>1186430
I'll be fine, but thanks for your concern.

>>1186452
I agree that it's not ideal, but it's the only way I can make it within my budget. Ambient pressure seems like the way to go though. They're a meme? Your memes are weird, ours are based around a pale guy, a frog and pretending to like things that are universally hated or over hyped. As for the death comment, I'm seriously considerding scuba packs to prevent that.

>>1186481
Absolutely, if it were acoustic qualities I'd just buy mass quanities of instant jello and encase the container with 3 feet on each side. It's would more be the isolation and general eerieness that your in an imovable metal box at the bottom of the sea. I'll look into o2 toxicity. Anyone know where I can buy mass quanities of jello? Wholesaler? Amazon?

>>1186485
Definetly the mental effects it'll have on you. I'll look into this.

>>1186488
Pasta implies that I copied this from somewhere, which I did not.

>>1186329
>>1186489
I never saw that episode. Dammit, the home movies dude stole my idea years before I came up with it.
>>
>>1186495
How about you find a cave or a mine shaft?
>>
>>1186485
I'm an ex commercial diver....i have seen it affect people as shallow as 80ft. Some are just more sensitive to an increase of pp02
>>
>>1186499
Oxygen toxicity is a tricky one as there is no safe level. People react differently to hyperpressure, both short and long term. During diving the acute oxygen poisoning is more dangerous, it can lead to convulsions and cramps, effectively death. 1,4 or 1,6 bar is considered a safe partial pressure of oxygen but rebreatjer divers still die even though the ppO is around 1,4.
Oxygen affects also during long decompression stops, especially for those who are threatened in a hyperbaric pressure chambers. There you breathe oxygen for long times which leads to respiratory problems, fluid in your lungs and so on.

>>1186279
And your idea is stupid because of this:
Containers can withstand heavy loads as long as the pressure is from the tip on the corner posts.
Your death chamber will have its pressure on the roof and especially on the seam between the roof and the corner beams. Its 32,5m^3 of air in it, meaning a lift of 32,5 tonnes. The roof is approximately 15m^2, which leads to a pressure of over 2ton/m^2. This should make you anxious about your plan.
Ask a structural engineer to calculate everything before you sink you underwater coffin.
Oh, you also need to anchor the container to the seafloor, the weights need to be 30ton*X where X is your safety factor. Remember to calculate the displacement of the water when calculating the weights.

What the hell. I'll calculate it for you.
A cubic meter of concrete weight 1,7-2,5tonnes, 0,7-1,5tonnes underwater.
30m^3/1,5=20 cubic meters, assuming the weightless concrete. I just bought 12 m^3 of concrete and it was 120€/m^3, meaning that you weights alone will be 2400€. You also need to make molds, include rebar, calculate shipping for your container and weights, figure out how to move them in the sea, and actually fasten the thing to the seabed. Plus equipment to your underwater coffin. Plus work on the coffin itself. Plus this and that and those. 4000 is just not enough even if the idea would make sense.
>>
>>1186518
>weightless
Fuck. Weightiest.
>>
File: Autism1.jpg (962KB, 1851x1851px) Image search: [Google]
Autism1.jpg
962KB, 1851x1851px
>>1186518
>>
File: 35976.jpg (7KB, 186x271px) Image search: [Google]
35976.jpg
7KB, 186x271px
>>1186520
Big words are scary, aren't they anon..
>>
>>1186518
>SI units
>physics
>/diy/
Are you me?
>>
>>1186519
H E A V I E S T
>>
>>1186279
It is called a, "diving bell".

Get/make one and do you music in it.
>>
>>1186529
>first /mu/sician to play a diving bell
I can see it now.
>>
>>1186530
Prerequisite first song played on/inside diving bell:

>Hell's Bells.

Runner up:

>For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Shit, nevermind. He's from /mu/.
>>
File: heavy shit, man!.png (135KB, 1891x924px) Image search: [Google]
heavy shit, man!.png
135KB, 1891x924px
>>1186528
But it's okay to write a bit peculiar every now and then in your third language. What's yours?
>>
>>1186279
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWqQ8K1Fc6Y
Do this with a larger net and you can sit in a little pontoon boat inside.
>>
>>1186687
I postz funny postz, with cat pics - why you no laughs?
>Aha! - Sie sind Deutscher, nicht wahr..
Assumed slights upon your English unintentional, chief - ignore me, wasn't very funny in English either.
>>
>>1186498
I considered that, but I'm afraid that my bass amp could cause a cave in. Mine shafts become abandoned for a reason, and if lack of materials to mine isn't the reason it's probably safety. I may look more into this.

>>1186518
Honestly, it's cool that you're able to articulate yourself in a way like that, and I'm sure you made some strong points with a real world basis, but it's far above my head.

>>1186529
This seems cool. Going to look more into it.

>>1186738
That's fucking crazy, how large could I make something like that?
>>
File: image.png (35KB, 1029x682px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
35KB, 1029x682px
Are you this guy?
>>
>>1186859
but the little container in the counterweight will float to the top
>>
File: leak.webm (3MB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
leak.webm
3MB, 450x300px
Subsea engineer here. You will not - repeat will not make something safe for 4 grand. This is a good way to kill yourself. I'll hang around to answer questions but here are my initial thoughts:

It wont be cost effective to build a 1 atm housing that can hold 3 people. Your best bet would be to compensate the enclosure. You'd supply air with a compressor above water.

Walls on connex boxes' walls provide 0 structural strength to the connex. They're made to be stacked. I know someone that burried one and it caved in. I highly suggest avoiding the connex at all cost. On another note cheap connexes might not have not have been detoxed and there could have been hazardous chemicals, or nasty residue from overseas.

We have divers that stay in sat. their entire 21 day hitch (plus deco time of another 5 days or so). They're breathing heliox though, so I doubt that would be ideal to make music since it's going to sound weird in a helium rich environment.

If you want an opening on the bottom you have to have either an airlock or keep the cabin at ambient pressure.
>>
>>1186859
No...has this came up before here? That seems like a long term set up, i'll probably need 24 to 36 hours at most.

>>1186890
I had a kind of hard time following your post cause I did a 16 hour shift with knuckle draggers. I'll do my best to keep up with you who's well being depends on me.
>housing
I don't want anything long term like housing, after I'm done with it the sea or the government can take it.
>detoxed
I met the drummer when we were grunts doing asbestos removal(muh tyvek suit) so anything aside from hydrochloric acid or that shit that makes your white playe turn purple is not that bad.
>helium
...might make things interesting. Does it raise the pitch of other things if say you replaced the ~20% nitrogen in typical air how would it affect recorded audio?
>opening in the bottom
More of a convenience thing, for quick escapes and so we dont have a gorillion piss bottles lying around. Bottles are akways an option.
>>
File: nautilusbelllockingout1[1].jpg (60KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
nautilusbelllockingout1[1].jpg
60KB, 450x600px
>>1186927
How deep to you want to put it and what kind of access to you have to the installation spot?

>housing
sorry for using jargon. Basically, when you put something underwater you either:
a) make it very strong so the internal pressure remains 1 atmosphere of pressure
b) compensate the enclosure so the internal pressure is slightly above ambient pressure.

A connex is not optimal for subsea use. It's stacking strength comes from columns and the floor, not from the corrugated walls.

The volume of the container will be prohibitively large to really do anything with it. You will have to match the external pressure as you deploy it, if not it will implode. You can't pre-charge it on surface because that's insanely dangerous. You could flood it as you deploy it and push the water out with your compressor I suppose.

>helium
yes, you will sound like alvin and the chipmunks and the instruments will sound different. You'll also gradually lose your taste (temporarily). Also, you really need to understand mixed gas diving tables if you're seriously considering spending a day underwater. Fortunately I assume you'll be shallow so nitrogen ongassing and hitting your oxygen levels will take a while.

Here are a couple good videos about saturation diving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BWSMrgi3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc26Uv_BSu0

You really need to consider your escape route. An open hatch is highly recommended. If you fuck up your internal pressure you could ether cause a situation where you can't open the door or implode your enclosure. For example, if your door opens in, and you over pressurize, you will not be able to open the door.

If I were you, I'd start small.
>>
>this is your brain on /diy/
>>
>>1186825
>That's fucking crazy, how large could I make something like that?
Maybe there is no limit. You'll need to keep it down with something heavy or tie it to piles.

>>1186890
What do you think about a big underwater net-bubble? I'm thinking about getting a 100' x 100' net and inflating it under shallow ocean water. I would hold it down with additional rope or cables tied to piles or something extremely heavy.
>>
>>1186867
your right ill put in a counterweight for that container
>>
>>1186942

Still dangerous, basically what's called a lift bag.

Let's say you make a compromise and knock it down from a 100x100 footprint and make it 5'x'5'x5'.

That's 7800 lbf of lift force. That's almost 3 Toyota Corollas.

Plus all of the typical diving dangers are still there. I suggest you get an advanced diving cert with mixed gas specialty as step 1 if you're looking to spend a long time underwater safely.
>>
File: 1496370354787.png (35KB, 1029x682px) Image search: [Google]
1496370354787.png
35KB, 1029x682px
>>1186867
fixed it
>>
>>1186279
>underwater
>air
Who needs air, you pussy, just play in the water. You won't be able to use electricity, but people made music for thousands of years without it.
>>
Everyone who wants to use a container as a submarine should do so. The US Navy uses a network of shipping containers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench for their deep drilling operations because the shape is convenient and they have no crush depth as opposed to conventional submarines, which nowadays are just shipping containers in the equivalent of a long sound dampening shipping tube with a propeller on one end. Containers are made of the magnificent Corten steel alloy which is impervious to entropy, heat and cold. If Titanic had been made of Corten the iceberg would have lost.Their nifty latches and door gaskets make containers ideal for air locks which is why they are used by deep sea divers working on oil rigs and recovering lost aircraft and shipwrecks. Containers are available in many sizes and custom containers are available, so you can have containers in containers in containers like a matryoshka egg. This option for multiple sealed chambers permits military container undersea basing to withstand nuclear detonations as close to six inches from the outermost wall. The paint used on containers is radiation-proof so an undamaged coat can completely attenuate the emissions of a 25MT blast. Had Fukushima been built of containers there would have been no radiation leakage even with total cooling system failure. The external corrugations on containers dampen surface waves so well a floating container barrier is being constructed around Japan to end the tsunami problem. Containers are versatile. One 20' standard height container can hold an infinite quantity of waifus.

In conclusion, do it, faggot! While lesser mortals abide in their normiehomes, the exalted Alpha enjoys protection, comfort, and the superior feng shui of container living.
>>
>>1186279
We've had this thread before, its not possible OP and it's a stupid idea
You can't get in/out when the containers submerged due to the pressure, you can't pump air down without major difficulties because of the pressure, you can't even sink the container while its filled with air without I think it was several thousand dollars worth of lead.

Why do you even want to do this ? What difference could it possibly make ? The effects of standing in a metal box ? The effects of being trapped in a small room? The effects of breathing improperly ventilated and pressurised air on musical perception?
>>
File: 1496313822712.jpg (397KB, 1851x1851px) Image search: [Google]
1496313822712.jpg
397KB, 1851x1851px
>>1186520

Air pressure will have the greatest effect.
>>
>>1187007
> All this wasted effort on a shitpost

The sad part is this faggot prolly thinks he's being funny..
>>
>>1187096
newfag detected
>>
>>1187096
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZMbs5PC64
>>
>>1187042

Your forgetting something very important.

Best loli rape den location ever. It's like at least 3 times better than the tunnel you dug under your basement.
>>
>>1186279
>MURMAIDER MURMAIDER MURMAIDER MURMAIDER

Murmaider
>>
>>1186279
Whst a creepy looking picture. How deep and what's in it.. anyone know?
>>
>>1187096
>...prolly...
kys
>>
>>1188517
I think it's from MBARI. They have a really good youtube channel. You should check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFxtNsUPRKE
>>
File: 1465721096685.png (733KB, 571x583px) Image search: [Google]
1465721096685.png
733KB, 571x583px
>>1186957
>>1186859
>>
>>1188517
A large number of shipping containers drop off cargo ships each year. Literally the cost of doing business. The ship will pitch and list in storms, and sometimes the cans fall off. There could be anything inside, and provided whatever that is, is not susceptible to water damage, you could theoretically pirate salvage it.
>>
Can't be bothered to read all this garbage, but speedo makes waterproof earbuds (albeit I'm unsure what depth they're rating to as they're for swimming use).

There are also diver communicaton systems and radios, it might be easier to rent some and have some divers listen to music you're radioing down from the surface.
>>
>>1186927
Helium is very expensive, commercial operations reclaim the helium so it's not as big an issue, you on the other hand with 4000 dollars probably aren't going to be doing that.

Also air is 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.
>>
>>1186859
That was a quality thread, nearly as good as the fill a pool uphill with fans guy.
>>
>>1186279
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK9gY3VLKU4

I thought this might be of help to you. good luck.
>>
>>1186298
>I don't see how starting a legitimate thread to ask some questions is shitposting. maybe it is space time, because in the space I currently occupy your post looks like a shitpost.

Your original post indicates you studied nothing and want spoonfeeding for an amazingly retarded project like the vast majority of shipping container posts in /diy/ by people who can't be arsed to do their fucking homework. That's not innocent curiosity, it's just laziness and stupidity.

That said, everyone who wants to use shipping containers as submarines and other underwater habitat should do so. The Kriegsmarine survivors of WWII are the real inventors of shipping containers which they and their descendants use as construction modules in their Antarctic undersea base. No leaks since 1944 and it spans an area approximately the size of Rhode Island. The reason only a few lampshades were found by the Allies is skin harvesting for Albert Speer's self-renewing shipping container door gasket project. Sufficient stock was packed into the torpedo tubes of U-420 which escaped minutes before Doenitz gave the order to surrender in 1945.

Container octopod deep sea harvesters supply the base with a wide variety of marine life which is processed into imitation crab meat. That contains sufficient nutrients and brotein to nourish the under-ice superrace of Aryan Chads being bred for the upcoming battles of the Apocalypse. Excess is sold worldwide through various front companies. Shipments are conveniently concealed by floating loaded shipping containers to the surface where they are picked up by container submarine-mounted gantry cranes then loaded onto normie container ships. Other methods of container transport were experimented with like the container gun. The container gun was a Gerald Bull design where the barrel was made of containers siliconed together at the ends. It fired smaller containers which reached low earth orbit but was too inaccurate for practical use.
>>
>>1190317
Everyone who wants to use a container as a submarine should do so. The US Navy uses a network of shipping containers at the bottom of the Marianas Trench for their deep drilling operations because the shape is convenient and they have no crush depth as opposed to conventional submarines, which nowadays are just shipping containers in the equivalent of a long sound dampening shipping tube with a propeller on one end. Containers are made of the magnificent Corten steel alloy which is impervious to entropy, heat and cold. If Titanic had been made of Corten the iceberg would have lost.Their nifty latches and door gaskets make containers ideal for air locks which is why they are used by deep sea divers working on oil rigs and recovering lost aircraft and shipwrecks. Containers are available in many sizes and custom containers are available, so you can have containers in containers in containers like a matryoshka egg. This option for multiple sealed chambers permits military container undersea basing to withstand nuclear detonations as close to six inches from the outermost wall. The paint used on containers is radiation-proof so an undamaged coat can completely attenuate the emissions of a 25MT blast. Had Fukushima been built of containers there would have been no radiation leakage even with total cooling system failure. The external corrugations on containers dampen surface waves so well a floating container barrier is being constructed around Japan to end the tsunami problem. Containers are versatile. One 20' standard height container can hold an infinite quantity of waifus.
>>
>>1186279

There's a point where this shipping container maymay needs to stop and we've clearly passed it
>>
take a scuba course desu
>>
I can't tell if this is the same guy posting all these fucking shipping container threads or not. Like if you come here, you should know within 30 to 35 minutes that shipping containers are a fucking death trap and waste of your time. How can someone look here and then not gleam that obvious bit of information?
>>
And how the fuck is being underwater going to change the perception of music?
>>
>>1191391
Well imagine how scared you would be if the lifeguards started playing the Jaws music whilst you were swimming in the sea?
>>
>>1191391
Orobably a reference to Dethclokk
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.