[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got a lot of random junk like rusty nails, broken electrical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: junk-photo.jpg (449KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
junk-photo.jpg
449KB, 800x533px
I've got a lot of random junk like rusty nails, broken electrical parts, old cables, padlocks with no keys, etc

Like a hoarder I've been holding on to all this stuff just in case it ever became useful. Should I just toss it all?
>>
I have the same problem.
Toss the stuff that's easy/cheap to find again if you need it, and keep the stuff that's hard to find.
>>
>>1185979
I pull the electronics out and sort them for electronics projects.

And I sort out the scrap metal for casting projects.

If you aren't interested in anything like this then they aren't useful to you and you should recycle them/weigh them in as scrap.
>>
>>1185979
If you haven't used the item in 2 years then throw it away.
>>
>>1186108
This is a good rule of thumb. I do it always like that.
>>
>>1186108
>rusty nails
>padlocks with no keys
think you can forgo the wait, in this case. ITS USELESS JUNK, NOW, THROW IT THE FUCK AWAY & CLEAN YUR SHIT UP ALREADY.
>inb4 'b-but lock picking with rusty nail practise?'
>>
>>1185979
>Should I just toss it all?

No, you should organize yourself and get more shelving/storage
The second you throw something away, youll need it
>>
>>1186138
ITS RUSTY NAILS - STOP ENABLING, YOU RETARD. THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA USE RUSTY NAILS FOR, YOU FUCKWIT?
>>
>>1185979
If it makes you feel better than just tossing it into landfill trash, you can throw the metal junk into a bin of water with a couple electrodes and make rust powder for either coloring, huffing, or thermite
>>
>>1186139
>THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA USE RUSTY NAILS FOR,

There are all sorts of things you can use nails for, rusty or not.
You just dont know what you need, until of course you need it
>>
>>1185979
make lots of weapons!!!!!
>>
Scrap yard it if its metal.
>>
>>1185983
stupid hoarders, if you have a project buy new parts, they are fucking cheap

>>1185979
throw them all away, keep those wooden stuff if they are in good condition though
>>
>>1186138
>>1186148
This is the curse.
Whenever I'm in the mood to clean up and I'm about to heave something, I pause and have visions of all the uses I might have for it in the future.
>>
It's okay to hold onto junk if you have it well organized, with labeled bins and such. Then it looks like you have your shit together moreso than those who don't hoard at all.
>>
>>1186148
So is there anyone around you to help you with your hoarding problem or are you so far gone that you've been abandoned to die in your hovel under a landslide of newspapers?
>>
>>1186441
>stupid hoarders, if you have a project buy new parts, they are fucking cheap

I don't keep every damn part - I can let cheap easily replaceable shit go.

Besides Casting in particular requires you to hoard scrap metal. I'm not fucking buying Ingots.
>>
>>1186143
>tossing it into landfill trash
Ye good ole third world. Just pile it up somewhere it can't be seen!
>>
>>1186510
If you live literally anywhere civilized, including the third world, your trash probably just goes to a big pile specifically arranged to decompose as slowly as it can, and to take up space that is literally useless otherwise
>>
>>1186493
>implying you can shame a real /diy/er into getting rid of his excess of parts laying around

Repurposing and reusing old parts in projects is what you are supposed to do.
Unless you are just a hack like >>1186441 who ends up driving back and forth to the hardware store several times, nickel and diming himself every time he works on something.

>>1186458
Its not a curse, its a blessing that you arent braindead like some other people here.
>>
>>1186547
> nickel and diming himself every time he works on something.
Must suck being so poor that you can't even afford new materials to ensure you wind up with as quality a project as possible. I guess if you keep your standards low it's not a problem though, right?
>>
>>1186550
>the "poor" argument
>ignoring that every single person has a finite amount of time and money
>"new" materials are going to be somehow different than 2 or 3 year old materials you have already sunk costs into
>when the time comes you actually need to buy new materials, all the nickel and diming you did to yourself could potentially force you to buy cheaper materials to keep your project on budget

This thread is baffling
>>
>>1186554
>the "poor" argument
Yeah, you're right, I shouldn't judge people by circumstances that may be beyond their control. Lets focus on deliberate idiots like your fine self.
>ignoring that every single person has a finite amount of time and money
Agreed. So why the fuck would you waste your time on building shit with, say, a second hand regulator you pulled out of a dead TV, which may very well be the reason the TV died in the first place? Why would you waste you time pulling nails out of a hunk of wood which now looks like shit, and may be structurally compromised by splits and other defects? My time is currently worth $47 an hour. Why would I "spend" $47 prepping a piece of shit for reuse, or bugsquashing a circuit full of potentially fault second hand components when I can spend $10 purchasing a fresh item?
>"new" materials are going to be somehow different than 2 or 3 year old materials you have already sunk costs into
Sunk costs? Isn't this thread about hoarding shit like rusty nails and broken parts? Do you often pay for rusty nails and busted electronics?
>when the time comes you actually need to buy new materials, all the nickel and diming you did to yourself could potentially force you to buy cheaper materials to keep your project on budget
See, I plan my projects out, and often come in under budget because I assume I'm going to fuck shit up and add 10% onto the total cost to cover it, which I may or may not need to spend depending on how retarded I am on a given day. It's rare I need the 10%.

TL;DR, you need to reevaluate your approach to /diy/ and how you value your time. Now tell me more about how much you fail at /diy/, I may be able to save you from yourself yet.
>>
File: 1487074588859.jpg (74KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1487074588859.jpg
74KB, 400x395px
>>1186560
>talks about a professional setting where he is making money with time
>"you need to reevaluate your approach to /diy/ because of what I do to make money"

Even more baffling
>>
>>1186562
Not at all, but if I have to put a dollar value to my time to address your point, what other metric is there? Post more memes though, its a great way to distract yourself from the fact that you can't produce a coherent argument.
>>
>>1186568
>if I have to put a dollar value to my time to address your point, what other metric is there?

Im not sure how putting an arbitrary value on your free time is a very good metric.

The only real meme being posted is that a box of nails you bought a few years ago that are getting rusty should be thrown out, and that you should be forced to drive to the hardware store and buy new the next time you need it.
>>
>>1185979
depending on your time and space
>recycle your junk
>keep reusable electronic components like resistors etc
>toss the capacitors, they are a billion years old and will bust out in your new projects.

make a 3d printer and a device that can melt old plastic cases into usable material for the printer
>>
Junk hoarding is counterproductive because junk is slow to search for needed parts and as those are harvested the remains are shit.

Some "scrounge" is handy but normally the shit's a fucking obstacle, which is why professional workshops typically dispose of shit that's worth less then the much more precious space it takes up.
>>
>>1185979
Electronics and electrical parts are worth taking apart and scrapping. Integrated circuit boards all have trace amounts of precious metals in them. In particular the "gold fingers," the little gold plated parts like on an old game cartridge or various boards, can be chemically refined into gold. It probably isn't worth doing yourself because of toxic fumes, but around 13 lbs of gold fingers yields a troy ounce of gold, so people will pay up on eBay if you have a lot.

Electrical parts are worth scrapping. Even if you don't want to break motors and strip wires, you can still sell them as copper breakage. Copper is around $2.50/lb now I believe. Obviously you will get less for stuff that isn't broken down but the time you spend doing so is probably not worth it.

Steel is not worth your time. At around $0.10/lb you'd need a truck bed and trailer full to make a run to the scrap yard worth it.
>>
>>1185979
My housemate makes fun of my hoard. Till it's project time. Then it all makes sense. Clean it up, gut the goodies out, flaten the sheet steel, stack up the useable bits and trash what needs it. Ziplock bags in shoe boxes can organize screws on the cheap.
>>
>not saving junk to make badass art
>>
>>1188160
My captchas are all "bridges" and "vans"....
>>
>>1188161
I started late on my own hoarding.
I've tossed so many old car parts that would have made some awesome stuff...
>>
OP, I found the best way to do this is to assign a monthly value to the space it takes to store the items. Now, estimate how long you've had them and how much longer you think it will be until you use them.
If that cost is higher than the replacement cost of the nails and broken lock, then try to salvage it.

The hard part is putting a value on space. My tip to you, think how much a month would you pay someone a month for that space somewhere else if it suddenly vanished from your property.
Is that bucket of nails keeping you from developing an efficient work flow because it's in the way? Is that pile of locks keeping you from organizing a corner of your shop? If so, that needs to be factored into the space's value.
Do they inhinder you or do you not like looking at it? Is there any tangible negative effect of their presence? Once you figure out that, and spoiler alert, you'll probably find out that it's cheaper to replace it if you ever need it.

Think this way with new tool purchases vs rentals, just add in # of uses and quality of life it brings.

The "you never know when you'll need it" crowd are horders and do not place a reasonable value on their time and space. In reality, saving the $0.37 replacement cost on some bullshit knickknack they kept for 20 years cost them more intangibly in the long run. Respect yourself and respect your space.
>>
>>1188161
Those are too fucking cool...would like...
>>
>>1188160
I did this kind of stuff as a kid (obvs much more incompetently and much smaller pieces) but the appeal really drops off once you're 14 or so
>>
Scrap it for fast and easy $$$$
>>
I think hoarders get some use out of the stuff they've kept and not thrown away.. but then they just keep everything incase 'i might need that old thing that broke' and get a huge pile of shit where 90 percent of the stuff in it won't be used for anything

a more efficient way of 'hoarding' would be to break down all the stuff you think might have use in it, and put it into piles and scrap the other stuff that won't like >>1186573 said

say with broken headphones, cut off all the plugs and put in a bag. then cut off some of the wire if you might need some wire, put that into a bag. then throw out the rest. broken computers take the switches and put in a bag etc.

take all the screws/bolts/nuts out and put them into a pile.. they're probably most useful thing, especially the tiny screws that are always hard to find and you lose. a pile of random bolts/nuts and screws are probably most thing you'd use. buy a plastic thing with different sections (like a tackle box) and sort by size/length in general size, then if you need a really tiny screw go through pile of tiny one. then put all nuts that 8, 10, 12mm etc. in different sections of the container and same with the bolts

but if you're not going to use any of the switches, plugs, wire, resistors etc. in the future then just scrap it all.
>>
>>1186515
Recycling, what was it again?
>>
>>1185979
That kind of stuff has scrap value. I save literally every metallic piece of anything I have for the scrapyard. Stuff like nails and padlocks I throw with iron. It adds up.
>>
>>1186139
I oxidize mine. Can use the powder for projects, fertilizer, or wood stain.
>>
>>1192398
What process do you use? Sounds interesting.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.