[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to lower the wattage of my amplifier. Is there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: 1496237398263129921630.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1496237398263129921630.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I want to lower the wattage of my amplifier. Is there any way to do this?
>>
change the values of the feedback resistors for the amplifier chip.
>>
Measure peak output proportional to volume setting. put a stop on dial at desired peak output
>>
File: 30W 30ohms.jpg (63KB, 640x560px) Image search: [Google]
30W 30ohms.jpg
63KB, 640x560px
stick power resistors in series with the two speakers. if you use 8 ohms, you divide voltage by 2 and power by 4, 16 ohms divides voltage by 3 and power by 9, etc.
>>
>>1185913
>I want to lower the wattage of my amplifier.
Why?
>>
>Why?

coz i wanna hear my speakers, not smell them.
>>
>>1185953
You are way more likely to blow your speakers by driving them with a clipping amp than by driving them with too big an amp, especially if you are worrying about a japanese amps stated 'peak music power output' - this is the rating of the amp into a zero resistance load in the millisecond before the power output transistors turn into a cloud of expanding vapour, and it bears no resemblance to the actual power delivered by the amp.

Just control your headbanging instead.
>>
>>1185993
This. You are better overpowering than underpowering. Distortion fucks your speakers up more.
>>
>>1185953
Don't turn the knob as far? Find a nice spot to leave it and adjust volume on the signal end?
>>
File: 1496237498912.jpg (659KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1496237498912.jpg
659KB, 3264x2448px
>>1185913
>Is there any way to do this?

Here ya go, OP.
>>
>>1186105
Why is one torx?
>>
>>1186107
for security™
>>
>>1186116
Half secure is not secure at all...both should be tamper proof!
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (735KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
735KB, 3264x2448px
>>1186122

to spec?
>>
>>1185993
>You are way more likely to blow your speakers by driving them with a clipping amp than by driving them with too big an amp
This is what I always thought and I never really worried about blowing my speakers.
Then one day my roommates were bumping some music at irresponsible volumes and the bass literally tore the voice coils off the cones in my woofers.
Distortion will blow your speakers by burning the voice coils, but high volume levels will blow them by physically tearing them apart.
>>
>>1186158
That's what happens when your speakers are not rated for the amp that's pushing them. Typically these are the swap-meet or back-of-a-van speakers.
Google ye, L-Pad volume control or attenuator.
>>
>>1185913
Unplug it
>>
>>1186127
Yup. Good jorb. This honestly is the best solution. Messing with the circuitry will add noise.
>>
>>1185953
So either get better speakers or turn it down.
>>
>>1185913
Yes. Turn down the volume.
>>
>>1185913
>why not just turn the knob down
>why not just reduce the input level
i added a second set of speakers in parallel
this effectively sends half the wattage to each speaker
they must be of similar wattage tho or the little speaker will blow sending all the power it was taking to the big one and blowing it too
>>
>>1188495
> with proper speakers selected, never turn your amp past 4/10
you will also half the output resistance so the amp may blow instead
>>
>>1185913
Run at a higher ohm load
>>
>>1185929
Bad idea, speaker impedance is not constant in the whole frequency range.
>>
>>1185913
I have a sony amplifier from 80s like this
(3 parts radio-amp-casette)
I also have some huge cabin speakers

Should I throw them away?
>>
>>1185929
This or wire your speakers on one channel. Beware of ohms and his law
>>
File: 18bp723n8nntwjpg.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
18bp723n8nntwjpg.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
>>1186116
Nah op. TURN IT UP TO 11 AND BREAK OFF THE FUCKING KNOB
>>
>>1186158
Also dont let dipshits use your system. No one touches my nad 3020 because its a total biff system that requires some thinking to figure out how the hell to turn anything on, and then you have to figure out what got hooked to which button, as it is an integrared amplifier like yours. Its not hard, but most people dont understand stereos, so just make it a challenge to hook up an auxillary to rca cord to it and then you are set. Also L pad attenuator that you can switch out of the speakers signal path is a good idea. You will need to dissapte heat though. And buy pioneer shit box speakers or whatever so you dont feel bad about destroying them. But im assuming thats probably what you had due to the eq settings on that amp.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.