[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving into a new apartment and it comes with a wood floor. I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Moving into a new apartment and it comes with a wood floor. I've never had one before but looking at it, it's clear the previous tenant didn't take care of it at all. Like, at all! It's faded and greyed and scratched up. Not my pic but it looks a lot like this in places.

How do I A) make it look not like shit again, and B) keep it that way?
>>
Is it real wood panels or is it fake/cheap wood?
>>
>>1185183
Looked real but very old.
>>
If it's real you could just sand it down smooth and put some new varnish on. Good as new. Make sure it's real, and identify the type of wood so you get a nice colour varnish.
>>
re-set the nails
rent a floor sander
then sand and apply varnish
>>
>>1185182
Speaking as someone who has refinished the hardwood floors in my house, DO NOT go through the trouble for a rental.

It's a shit-ton of work and really easy to fuck up, and pretty expensive.

If anything, see if your landlord will screen and re-poly for you
>>
>>1185182

Looks like solid oak. You can use something like CitriStrip to get most of the finish off then sand the floor and re-poly it.

The process isn't difficult but it is a lot of work.
>>
>>1185182
Controlled fire/flame will bring out any residual varnish in the wood...

I did it once on a table... Poured clear alcohol in a thing layer, set ablaze and quickly doused it with a wet towel....
It will still feel a little rough but look shiny
>>
put down some rugs or plastic/vinyl where it sees the most traffic
>>
>>1185182
As this is an apartment you DO NOT do any work.

It's not your job
It's not your property
And the only person who benefits from your EXPENSE is the landlord.

The first thing you want to do is document the damage. Photograph the damage and get a few photos with a newspaper visible so as to ascertain the date.

Do it now and not later.

In addition contact the landlord about it. Whether you ask for remediation or not, ensure that the move in checklist accurately reflects the conditions the property was received in.

These measures are to ensure that you as the tenant cannot be held responsible for prior damage.

Im speaking as a landlord going an 14 years with 80 properties. Renters should NEVER fix shit out of their own pocket. THAT'S WHY YOU ARE RENTING. Additionally I know plenty of slumlords who pull shit like this all the time charging every tenant they can for "non-reasonable" wear and tear on hardwood floors they have never once maintained
>>
>>1185296
I don't want to repair it strip it, sand it, I just want to make it look not like crap, and keep it from getting worse.
>>
>>1185361
Rug
/thread
>>
>>1185363
That's...

Son of a bitch, I didn't think of a rug.
>>
>>1185296
I agree. As a renter, the landlord cannot give you shit for "reasonable" wear (ie scratches on wooden floor, paint going off) and I find it unacceptable they're making you pay for it, or let you fix it with your own money.
I assume it's the landlord responsibility to make their rental "reconditioned" for a new renter at their expense.
However I understand "non-reasonable" wear (tagging walls and such) can cost a lot of money to fix, and some landlords are sick of it, but I guess it's part of the game.
Anyway, I'll be landlord of my own house in a couple of months, we shall see if it worth it.

>>1185363
Yeah, my current apartment has wooden floors, and my roll chair destroyed it. Rugs are cheap and unaesthetic, but you save money from not redoing your floor. I'll know better next time.
>>
>>1185549
I'll provide pics tomorrow. Good night.
>>
>>1185199
use heat gun...
>>
They ought to make chairs with mecanum wheels
>>
>>1185549
Rugs aren't that bad imo.
>>
>>1185188
This. People underestimate the time and effort it takes,

First off that floor is in bad shape. It has to be sanded down multiple times, that means it needs to be crosscut at least once to even out the surface. If you don;t have experience you'll fuck it up. That's if you are big enough to even handle using a sander. After that it needs to be buffed multiple times and if you don;t know what to look for in spotting vibrations you'll get weird marks on you floor that won;t show up until after the finish has cured. Not to mention you have to also orent an edger for the sides and handscrape every corner of your house.

You can;t do it unless you have been trained on how to do it beforehand. It's a process that would take over a week. You also can't live in the house unless you 100% block off the room as the air has to be dust free and stagnant so that dust doesn't settle on the finish while it dries.

Hire somebody else to do it.
>>
File: IMG_20170531_083859.jpg (648KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_083859.jpg
648KB, 1632x1224px
>>1185549
>>1185551
>>
>>1185805
Jesus christ anon, forget about losing a coin in those seams your gonna lose your whole fucking wallet. And you probably will when you try to fix it.
>>
>>1185805
>>1186803
Agreed. That is some ugly, cheap, poorly installed floor. Short boards, big gaps, shitty finish. Get a carpet.
>>
>>1185805

This is why masons shouldn't lay flooring
>>
>>1186863
it is not poorly installed floor
they didn't use dry wood (or there was too much heat, like sunlight) and it dried
>>
use a floor sander, vacuum every little speck of dust, then varnish the floor.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.