[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books about fiberglass boat construction? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: RidinDirty.jpg (109KB, 516x623px) Image search: [Google]
RidinDirty.jpg
109KB, 516x623px
What are some books about fiberglass boat construction? I have no idea of how to work with it and I'm in my university's team for a competition where we have to make a fiberglass model and face teams from other universities for various tests.
>>
https://youtu.be/wYb_UjgJ5E0
>>
Has your university hired a technician with all the composite know-how? I'd imagine it's hard for a bunch of kids to start a composite workshop from scratch.
>>
Jesus fuck OP! Use a fucking search engine to find what you need. How stupid are you????

The school doesn't need a composite tech to teach how to do chopper gun or hand laid fiberglass, but students with IQs greater than that of a radish would help.

Boatbuilding forums exist. Go there.
>>
>>1184464
Nope. They merely sponsor us and let us use some space, but we're on our own.
>>1184474
I just wanted a book recommendation anon, to minimize the time wasting. I have the fundamental theory down (I know the different ways of application, I had some classes about composite materials. I know there's different kinds of fiberglass, I've also read "Composite materials" by Chawla). What I was looking for is some recommendation of a good book maybe someone of you guys had read, and why not a recommendation against a book ("don't read that, it's garbage and doesn't offer useful information") Also some tips, like "don't do X because you'll fuck up the demolding".
>>
Fiberglass is for numale cucks
use marine plywood instead
>>
>>1184565
If you get practical advice from serious builders in boatbuilding forums you'll do far better, and they can throw in book recommendations too.

If you get social anxiety from visiting forums so be it, but when you want guidance it's hard to beat conversing with professionals.

Don't assume you know how to learn a skilled trade from mere paper. Books can be useful but specific input based on your proposed project is likely to serve you better.
>>
>>1184805
>Don't assume you know how to learn a skilled trade from mere paper. Books can be useful but specific input based on your proposed project is likely to serve you better.
oh I'm well aware of it, but it's useful to have some previous knowledge of the basics
>If you get social anxiety from visiting forums so be it, but when you want guidance it's hard to beat conversing with professionals.
I just don't want to go there being a total noob.
>If you get practical advice from serious builders in boatbuilding forums you'll do far better, and they can throw in book recommendations too.
I tried searching in some boatbuilding forums (because everyone gives you shit if you don't search first) and found mostly beating around the bush bullshit like one guy telling the OP to read Titanic.
>>
>>1184939
Hot rodder forums etc also have many people skilled at fiberglass. Strongest is hand laid, not chopper gun, which is fine since you won't need a chopper gun.

Post that you are new and the boat forums aren't all that great. Car guys tend to be chill.

Look up hand laid fiberglass layup technique and do some practice swatches with your group for those unfamiliar with the materials.
>>
>>1187193
thanks based anon
>>
>>1183627

google "fiberglass gunwale"

What kind of "tests" are you going to endure? I've built several sailing vessels. Your time to cheat is now.

t. 18 Foot Aussies, my next ship will be primarily foiling.
>>
>>1188109
speed test, maneuvrability tests, pulling tests
>>
If it's small, like a kayak, just start with some closed cell foam found in some brands of insulation.
Laminate those together.
Use a sander, knife, hot wire cutter to shape a mold.
Spray with gelcoat.
Wax heavily or spray PVA on it
Cut fiberglass to lay nice in the mold
Wet it down with epoxy and stiff brush
Lay down more layers, changing weave orientation by 45*.
More layers.
More layers.
Let it cure.
Pop it out of the mold or just cut away the foam.
Trim with a cutoff wheel
profit.

Doing wet layup sucks, sanding/cutting fiberglass sucks, and always use epoxy over 2 part urethanes.

If you have a $2k+ budget, look into vacuum infusion. Much cleaner to work with and better quality parts. Downside are the upfront equipment costs and consumables.

Lastly, with boat design, reducing hull frontal area is where the magic is.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.