[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say I was buying some land which I intend to live offgrid upon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: emublacked-1.png (2MB, 858x612px) Image search: [Google]
emublacked-1.png
2MB, 858x612px
Say I was buying some land which I intend to live offgrid upon permanently. I have most of it worked out, but my main issue left is fuel for my car/a generator for days the other power generation methods aren't pulling in enough. I recall seeing someone post a machine that made gas you could just dump in your car, but I have a weak grasp of this kind of thing. Is such a thing even possible? Would it be easier to just grow a crop that can be turned into fuel and convert my car to run off ethanol/biodiesel?
>>
I don't know how the fuck you're supposed to make homemade gasoline, so I'd probably go for biodiesel.
>>
If your property has wood, You could make a wood gassifyer system and be self reliant. Minuses are that they're bulky, require a few steps before it runs an engine, inefficient compared to other fuels and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
File: 450324-refinery740[1].jpg (89KB, 700x400px) Image search: [Google]
450324-refinery740[1].jpg
89KB, 700x400px
>>1183437
>a machine that made gas you could just dump in your car..
heres one - Protip, you'll still need to put diesel in that first.
>>
>>1183515
Yeah, I'd get one of those but I'd be afraid of biker gangs in BDSM gear trying to invade my property.
>>
if you want to distill moonshine (check your local laws 1st) you could theoretically run engines on alcohol. Problem is many engines and fuel systems will break down quicker if they run straight alcohol (lots of car engine break down with commercial ethanol mix fuels as it is)
>>
>>1183518
What about biodiesel? Does that cause engines to break down faster? Not that it matters, I'm gonna get a nice cheap to repair car to convert
>>
>>1183528
Just convert to wvo
>>
>>1183437
nigga just buy a 100 gallon tank

stock up, its not like having to run to a gas station some time in the next three years will make you any less off-grid
>>
>>1183607
Doesn't gasoline get shitty just sitting?

>>1183437
For most people, trying to live that way ends up just eating money while still being heavily reliant on the rest of civilization. Might as well take the blue pill and enjoy all the benefits of being part of it.
>>
>>1183437
>convert car to LPG
>build microbial methane generator
done

Don't know why they didn't do this in Mad Max. Wood/coal gas is also a good way to go, provided you've got enough trees to chop down for a decade or two. If you're going to have any sort of gasifier plant then I'd make it a wetback to use the extra heat. You might even manage to make it one of those perma-hot stovetops that you just put an insulating lid over.
>>
>>1183437
>live offgrid upon permanently.
>fuel for my car/a generator
Just a cell phone is still a phone even if it doesn't have a wire, you are part of "the grid" if you are shipping in fuel/water.
>>
>>1183622
IIRC, no. You might be thinking of jet fuel.
>>
>>1183622
Gasoline gets shitty if it sits in shitty conditions, like direct sunlight or dirty areas. It also gets shitty from age, yes, but if you mix a bit of good gas in with the old it's generally alright, and it takes a long while to really get gross.
>>
>>1183623
too bad lpg is not methane
>>
>>1183652
Yes, it does. It'll gum up a carburetor
>>
Older diesel cars are probably your best bet, you can run them on waste vegetable oil even directly. It's not true off-grid as such, but if you can source waste oil from restaurants it ought to be the cheapest option. Can also make biodiesel if you want to fiddle with it.
>>
>>1183657
And here I assumed there wasn't that much difference, but apparently methane has a critical point at "damn cold", and ~45 atm, so your tank would need to be refrigerated to be liquid. Ethanol generator is probably a much safer bet then.
>>
>>1183737

What made you think that? Gasoline is liquid at normal temperature, methane is gaseous!
If you are looking for a gas that can easily be put in liquid state via pressure, butane is your choice. That one is gaseous under normal conditions too but can be pressure liquified so easily that a simple plastic lighter has enough pressure for that.
>>
>>1183739
>What made you think that? Gasoline is liquid at normal temperature, methane is gaseous!
Well propane and butane are gaseous at room temperature but can be compressed to a liquid. I never expected the critical point of methane to be below room temperature.
>butane is your choice.
You half answered your own question.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.