[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I asked /sci/ if they could help me and got a friendly response

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: FB_IMG_1494458930676.jpg (20KB, 475x623px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1494458930676.jpg
20KB, 475x623px
So I asked /sci/ if they could help me and got a friendly response suggesting I come here and an aggressive response telling me to fuck off.

I think I have a viable blueprint for a hoverboard motor but don't have the supplies to test if I can get enough power. The only issue is, I have no money for prototyping.

Can someone make a powerful, compact electrical coil, diameter approximately 1-2 inches, hook it up to a frame so it stays in one place while spinning and see how fast it spins against a neodymium magnet when powered by the most powerful battery you have access to?

Alternatively, if you know of an accurate and cheap (see: free) simulator where I could run this without spending money, that would also be awesome.

Scientific picture of rabbit for attention.
>>
>>1182823
That rabbit has neck fat. Whoever let him get fat is a person of different locations.
>>
>>1182823
The only "simulator" you need to work this out is a calculator and a basic physics education, which, if you had, would tell you why /sci/ invited you to fuck off.
>>
>>1182826
Are you trying to tell me you wouldn't snuggle the shit out of that rabbit?
>>
>>1182829
I'm saying you're a dick for letting it get fat like your poop
>>
>>1182833
It's purely diagramatic. I don't have a rabbit, much to my disappointment.
>>
>>1182823
You're a fucking homo, you know why? Cause you're trying to make a fucking homopolar motor. You can calculate the torque it would produce from basic fucking physics.

PROTIP: not fucking much which is exactly the opposite of what hoverboards need
>>
File: 1495663929574.jpg (524KB, 900x1052px) Image search: [Google]
1495663929574.jpg
524KB, 900x1052px
Anyone got that /diy/ bingo image? I think this thread needs it.
>>
Are we suggesting that it's ok to call something on wheels a hover board?

It fucking isn't ok.
>>
File: diy bingo - hoverboard.jpg (142KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
diy bingo - hoverboard.jpg
142KB, 600x600px
>>1182868
No bingo yet
>>
>>1182898
You missed "No skills" and possibly "Super Secret Patent Idea"
>>
>>1182903
Still no bingo.
That bingo card never wins, ever. Why you guys keep posting it?
>>
>>1182920
Make a better one
>>
>>1182898
>>1182903
>>1182920
>>1182939

Needs to be like real bingo and have some cards, maybe five where all the squares are random.
>>
>>1182823

the only thing rabbits are good for is their meat, 8 grams of protein per serving.
>>
>>1182823
>cheap (see: free) simulator
you could just work it out on fucking paper seeing as magnetic field strength equations are something children learn to do in school.
nobody is asking you to derive maxwell's wave from first fucking principles
>>
>>1182826
No it doesn't. Rabbits have a sort of extra fluffy patch on their brisket, and resting their head on it flattens a pillow area. There's no flesh in that, it's a cloud of fur, and the rabbit itself underneath is much thinner.
>>
>>1182827
>>1183019
This.

>>1183009
You must have your units or serving size wrong.
>>
>>1182826
That's a girl. Or doe. It's called a dewlap. They use it to pull fur from to line their nest when they deliver a litter.

-I had rabbits for years.
>>
>>1182823
I wouldn't mind doing the physics for you if you provided a diagram of the motor. But everything you'd need to calculate would mostly be on Hyperphysics, with the exception of the permanent magnets. For permanent magnets you have to work out the magnetic dipole and do some curls and corss-products to get the magnetic field vector and all that, but you can definitely get a useable magnetic field out of it.

So is the coil spinning? If so, you'll need commutation, which is a pain. It's more efficient to have the permanent magnet on the rotor and the coils on the stator and control the polarity of the coils with a Hall-effect sensor (or photodiode?).

The main problem with diy motors is that winding the coils is a pain in the arse, and they're typically worse and more expensive than whatever you could buy online. If you have a machine shop I'm certain you could build a pretty damn good quality motor, but you'd have to sell them at quite a high price to make a profit.
>>
File: 1493424688993.jpg (36KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493424688993.jpg
36KB, 640x640px
>>1182823
>but don't have the supplies to test if I can get enough power.
mfw people still use 110V...
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.