[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /diy/, this is probably the wrong section but i've got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 49752-0354325.jpg (126KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
49752-0354325.jpg
126KB, 450x300px
hi /diy/, this is probably the wrong section but

i've got an 08 ford focus that won't start. i'm super short on cash right now so i'm fixing it myself. i've had the battery checked and the battery cables, doesn't appear to be the problem although there was a fair amount of corrosion i remove from both.

the vehicle's lights turn on and do no dim, the dash comes on, however the vehicle does not turn over when i turn the ignition. i replaced the starter with a used one from a junkyard and i'm still having the same problem--the vehicle did start up twice with the replaced starter however i had to tap the starter with a hammer to get it to work. the second time i switched the vehicle into neutral and it started after about 15mins of trying.

the vehicle doesn't make an audible clicking when turning the ignition, however you do hear some sort of a mechanical sound like something is trying to work. not sure if that's the starter.

if anyone could point me in the right direction--i suspect i may have purchased a shit starter and may just need a new one--it would mean the world to me.
>>
>>1181861
There will be a relay for the ignition in the fuse box - replace that if possible, even new, be about $5. Throwing random starter motors at it aint gonna help, if that aint the problem.
>>
>>1181865

thanks, i'll give that a look
>>
>>1181861
Pic related costs ~$1
or
make one from a tail light lamp and wire

Use the test light to find out where the 12v stops.
>>
File: test light.jpg (13KB, 360x243px) Image search: [Google]
test light.jpg
13KB, 360x243px
>>1181880
forgot pic
>>
>>1181861
Not sure if help but the "something trying to work" sound is your gas pump.
>>
>>1181861
If you can afford it, by an ODB reader/writer (or whatever they're called) from china. Seeing as it's a newer car, it might just be the electronics having a fit.

Provided >>1181865 checking the fuses and relays doesn't do anything.
>>
>>1181861
I would start with the electrical system and work your way from there. If a vehicle doesn't turn over it is usually a breakdown of either electric, compression or fuel.
Check the starting solenoid, alternator and cables. This can be done as a visual check on the wires and using a voltmeter on the leads.
>>
for anyone interested...

problem was the ignition switch!
>>
>>1182000

Glad you figured it out.
>>
>>1182000
That is more expensive to replace than a relay, are you just going to leave it hot-wired to a button?
>>
>>1181861
>hi /diy/, this is probably the wrong section but

There's LITERALLY a board for cars. It's called /o/.
>>
File: HqRtz.jpg (27KB, 508x356px) Image search: [Google]
HqRtz.jpg
27KB, 508x356px
>>1182008

have you ever even tried to start/participate in a car repair thread in /o/?
>>
>>1182615

How does that go?

I'm assuming it turns into a huge circle jerk about proper methods and aftermarket parts and no one actually contributes how to fix the car?
>>
>>1182642
>methods and aftermarket parts

lel no

> no one actually contributes how to fix the car?

Its because they literally dont know how to work on cars
>>
>>1181861
Sounds like a classic alternator issue, power isn't transitioning into the engine to start up. Also, do an induction service and check all of your spark plugs. Simple fixes that can push your car to do really well. I've spent like 4000-6000$ on car repairs this last year haha.
>>
>>1182752
Replace alternator tldr
>>
>>1182752
read thread
>>
>>1181861
>i've had the battery checked and the battery cables
check again

its the battery and the battery connection

try to jump start it and see for yourself

thank me later
>>
>>1182905
>thank me later
Top kek what a retard
>>
>>1181861
Sounds like an alternator? Does the car bump start? and run smoothly when fired?
>>
File: Starting.png (61KB, 839x976px) Image search: [Google]
Starting.png
61KB, 839x976px
>>1182642
Basically they would just berate him for owning a Focus instead of a more moddable car.

Then they would get into an argument about engine configurations and which Focus was/is the best.

I know the solution is already found, but for any non-start condition, you begin by checking the battery, and then work your way through the system.

Battery -> main fuse -> ignition fuse -> starter switch -> MT interlock/AT position switch -> starter fuse -> starter relay -> starter solenoid -> starter

Never begin with replacing the starter. The human interface is always the weakest part of any machine. BTW, you can test most of these components at once by checking for voltage at the starter solenoid coil terminal.
>>
>>1182000
>>1182000
>>1182000
>>1182000
We done yet?
>>
>>1183504
shut it you, anons are still busy diagnosticking here.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.