[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build a CNC mill that can handle 3/16 thickness stainless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

I want to build a CNC mill that can handle 3/16 thickness stainless plate. Any tips on where I should start? Is it possible to build something around $5k that is robust and reliable?
>>
Start by CNC milling all the parts out, then putting them together.
>>
Do you mean 3/16 in a single pass?

If so you are insane and should do some research first
>>
>>1181447
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-18-3-4-HP-Mill-Drill/G0781?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

saved you $4000 and some change.
>>
>>1181449
No not single pass. How many passes to get through that thickness on a typical diy mill? Is this a job meant for a water jet exclusively?

>>1181448
You're a faggot but I do have access to a plasma cutter that I'm sure can help.
>>
>>1181457
Any chance you could consider doing aluminum instead of SS? Most diy CNC mills end up as great aluminum eaters, never very accurate with SS

SS requires very slow cutting speed at very large force, most stepper motors would be slow enough to be at "stall" speeds to reach your desired force which means you would be replacing your steppers often

At the forces you would be looking at you would likely need to do 1/32 depth cuts, unfortunately that takes incredible precision so unless you are planning on hand lapping all joints, unless you have access to a high quality mill already (not necessarily CNC) it will be hard
>>
>>1181457
Wait, water jet?

You just want to cut the pieces not shape them?

It sounds like you are looking for a CNC router not a CNC mill
>>
>>1181447
>3/16
3 16ths of a millimeter?
well its a very odd way to express a dimension but nevertheless, its a very small amount, you will need something with very good tolerances to achieve this kind of precision.
>>
>>1181489
you know god damn well what he means. Shouldn't you be out preparing for your next Islamic Peace Attack?
>>
>>1181489

fuck off faggot
>>
>>1181447
milling stuff that thin?

how about a plasma cam?
>>
>>1181464
>most stepper motors would be slow enough to be at "stall" speeds to reach your desired force which means you would be replacing your steppers often

...no, you wouldn't. Steppers are explicitly designed to be run at very low RPM, if not outright stall. That's their major strength; high low-end torque even without any sort of reduction. If you're burning out steppers, it's because the current limit on the driver is set too high.

Also, I'll echo the other thoughts and say that, if you're specifically looking to work plate/sheet, you're looking more for a router than a mill. Or a plasma table, if you only need to do profiling operations (no Z axis).
>>
>>1181501
>>1181525
Of course everyone understood what he meant. It's just a good habit to use units.

Best regards
Scientist.
>>
>>1181501
come on anon terror attacks are just part and parcel of modern society, you need to just accept them.

>>1181606
thank you brave anon for defending my honour.
of course it wasn't about the specific units rather their use in general.
>>
>>1181447
>I want to build a CNC mill
>stainless
ahahahAHAHAHA
you have no idea what you're in for
>>
File: emageht.jpg (122KB, 750x436px) Image search: [Google]
emageht.jpg
122KB, 750x436px
first step, get one of these.
>>
>>1181571
I'm saying the steppers he would be able to find would be unable to handle that torque, meaning they would be stalled, which kills every type of motor, even steppers, it won't kill it as quickly as many others, but it will kill it eventually
>>
>>1181666

You would notice, VERY quickly, if your motors were stalling. If not for the odd sound they make, then for the broken tool spinning impotently in the collet.

And I still have no idea why you say there would be insufficient torque with a stepper. They have the highest torque of any kind of standard motor for a given frame size, in exchange for some of the lowest RPM. Force at the cutter is not a problem.

For reference, if my math isn't fucked, a 1600oz/in stepper (fairly large, but by no means huge for a machine tool) will produce in excess of 3000lbf on the business end of a 10TPI screw. Even cutting that in half to account for friction in the screw, that's still well in excess of what you'd need for a heavy cut with a very large endmill.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.